Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended "not too expensive" bourbons--and maybe other whisk(e)ys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	42356D01-273F-4EB7-B5E0-DA5D4C7D751A.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1155414 My liquor store was out of Rittenhouse - my go to for mixed drinks. They recommended Old Overholt. At $18 this is a slam dunk. I didn’t drink it straight but it’s fantastic for cocktails.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Report back, please, with any straight tastes...

Cocktails will hold th fort fer now

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never seen (or heard of) that brand before. I did a search on our state's liquor store, and they have 0 on hand, but 255 on order. I will look for it in the future.

EDIT: 225 on order. Don't want to give them too much credit.

It just so happens that this came up over the recent holidays. My son (he's in his 30's) saw me drinking Jim Beam (I have simple tastes) and said "Let me buy you a good bourbon!" He came came back with this saying "I don't care for Bourbon, so I got you this..."

Name:	RyeWhiskey.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1155925

It's good, but it's not Bourbon.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Rye whiskies are SO DERN GOOD! I love a good rye. Sweet & herbal flavors to me. Reminds me of mowing lawn and chewing bubble gum. The smell & flavor of both. I disagree with everyone who says rye whiskies taste spicy like rye bread. No way! No more spicy than any whiskey (in my personal opinion).

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s one of my favorites.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Got this today. Am not disappointed.

Not a big rye whiskey fan, but I love rye bread.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha

I'm a fan of Templeton Rye - the 4 year. The 4 year is just as good as the 6 year IMHO, very smooth. it can usually be found for under $30.

Rittenhouse and Sazerac are also pretty good.

Comment

Ok, got another one! My local always turns me on to different bourbons. This Very Old Barton is 1.75 litres for….wait for it…$24.99! It is very tasty, very smooth, and the price - mamma mia!! - unbelievable.

Grab it if you can find it. I’ll bet if you give this to your friends on a blind taste test they’ll think it’s easily a $40 or $50 bottle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	51E6D7FF-BAF3-49EE-9A8E-F6F229299497.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.88 MB ID:	1173200
      Last edited by JCBBQ; February 10, 2022, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Not bad, bought a bottle back in May whilst in Kentucky

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones Depending on who their distributors are, a liquor store should be able to order it for you. Bourbon can be tricky bc it seems there are a lot of shenanigans that cause artificial high demand and this higher prices. However, a product like this probably isn’t being held back. I’d bet if your store has the correct distributor that they can get it for you.

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol Huskee I really thought I’d found one you hadn’t come across.

Not expensive, you say?

Name:	Both-Bottles@2x-e1558728295829-1.png
Views:	145
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	1173248

Comment

Originally posted by JCBBQ View Post
        Ok, got another one! My local always turns me on to different bourbons. This Very Old Barton is 1.75 litres for….wait for it…$24.99! It is very tasty, very smooth, and the price - mamma mia!! - unbelievable.

Grab it if you can find it. I’ll bet if you give this to your friends on a blind taste test they’ll think it’s easily a $40 or $50 bottle.

Click image for larger version Name:	51E6D7FF-BAF3-49EE-9A8E-F6F229299497.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.88 MB ID:	1173200
        Yeah....VOB is one of your favorites. You can buy the 86 proof at drug stores in Kentucky, for less than $15.00

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang! And I thought $25 was great.

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          This another great whiskey that you can't find in many places outside of Kentucky. My liquor store in central Florida is one of the lucky ones that get Heaven Hill Bonded which Heaven hell just started selling in Florida.

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          VOB has been on my wish list for 20 years. I've never seen a bottle.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here