Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Growlerwerks ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growlerwerks ???

Anyone have one of their growlers? Have you filled it with Guinness Stout? With a nitro cartridge or a CO2 cartridge? Or would I have to get one of their nitro cold brew growlers to drink Guinness?

I've never used a nitro cartridge. IIRC that was a nitro stout. I just used a regular C02. Very pleased with this growler.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16075719096561.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	960320

Comment

I have the same one Attack has. I have never tried with Guinness. I have used with dark beers from our local craft brewery and the CO2 works just fine.

Comment

That Growler would upgrade and beer, including PBR.

Comment

Since I've officially aka'd myself The Growler , I'm actually hoping for one as a Christmas present. Hey Attjack , what do you mean you use regular Co2 versus the cartridges? How does that work?

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Just to back up a bit in case you aren't aware, the ukeg requires C02 cartridges to dispense the beer. You have to buy food grade C02 cartridges that are the right size for your rig. Mine is 128 oz so I buy 16-gram cartridges. I think the 64 oz units use a smaller size. Here are the ones I usually buy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• kjbarth
            kjbarth commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, part of what I’m trying to find out is whether the CO2 and nitro cartridges are interchangeable in their original Growlers. I’ve also reached out to Growlerwerks to ask them directly.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Let us know what they say. But I found this in the FAQs: CAN I PUT BEER IN THE UKEG NITRO? We don't recommend putting beer in the uKeg Nitro, it is designed for higher pressures and the nitro style faucet will produce a cup of foam when pouring normal beer. https://www.growlerwerks.com/pages/nitro-faq

I also have one anew a friend of mine has 3-4. I have only used CO2 but I’ll check with him to see if they have used nitro. I saw the new style they offer as well, for cold brew.

Comment

bought a 128 for my son in law for xmas with mat and co2. Hope he likes it, they look really cool and they had a sale on their website for 25% off, was a great deal

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              He will like it! Every time I walk into a brewery (well.....pre 2020 that is) I had people come up and ask about it. They are awesome to have and conversations pieces, for sure!

Can anybody compare and contrast the Ukeg with the Ukeg Go?

Comment

I just heard back from Growlerwerks. Only took a couple hours to respond, impressive.

Quoting the response:
              Thank you for reaching out. While you can put most any beer into the uKeg, when it comes to a Guinness where you are expecting a Nitro Stout, then the uKeg will not offer the same experience. You can fill it with Guinness but the results will not be that creamy, thick mouthfeel. This type of beer depends on a special beer gas that is a 70/30 mix of N2 and CO2 which offers the nitro feel with some carbonation.

In short, it will keep your Guinness pressurized and fresh but the Nitro beer is not possible with the uKeg.

So, for any beer and a growler, CO2 is the only option.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                As I suspected.

It sounds like the uKeg nitro could be used to nitrogenate still beer, but trying to push carbonated beer through a nitro faucet is just going to be a hot mess. Starting off with still beer is basically the same as cold brew, so it should work. The nitro is only 50 oz. though, so that seems like a lot of effort and expense for 3ish pints of beer.

As far as serving nitro beer on C02, you can but the CO2 will start infusing into the beer and the nitro will come out of solution but if you drink it fast it'll be fine. You won't get the cascade without a proper stout faucet, but it'll work.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here