Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CHEAP CRAP WE DRANK GROWING UP + One funny story to go with it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember another one that I almost forgot about....When I was 21, I went on a solo 5 week long backpacking (traveling by bus) trip starting in Guatemala City and ending in Mexico City. About week 4 one afternoon I was sitting in a bar on a beach near Tulum Mexico hanging with some true blue hippies and Dead Heads.

I was drinking dark beer. I remember meeting some girl and we started drinking shots of tequila. No food was eaten. Only fermented Agave in liquid form was in my stomach. Day turned into night...Next thing I remember is waking up on the beach with the bright sun shining in my eyes. Dehydrated, giant headache and cramped stomach...I soon realized I was missing my wallet, shoes and passport. (No Credit or ATM cards in those days)

Thank God my Back Pack and the rest of my money was locked up in one of the beach lockers. I had a spare pair of shoes and my wallet probably had no more than $20.00 in it, which I would have spent anyway. But missing your passport is a big deal. That day the group of Hippies and Dead Heads did some detective work and for a small ransom, I was able to get my passport back.

That whole event was a life long lesson.
    Last edited by troymeister; August 8, 2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't have sweated the passport. Back in those days you could travel back and forth to Mexico without one. For that matter, you could still get back to the States without one today, CBP cannot deny a US citizen entry. It might take some time to prove you are who you are, but you'll get back in.

• SmokingPat
      SmokingPat commented
      Editing a comment
      That's why I gave up hard liquor, and took up beer. You can still get drunk, but you have to work a little harder. 😄

I’m too lazy to read all of the replies so I’m sure it’s been said....but MD 20/20 was a staple for us

Comment

For me it was what my Grandpa called his home made potato beer. 1 bottle would pretty much start and end any party.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Potato beer? That would end the party for me before it started!

Click image for larger version

Name:	E76974EB-1EE5-457A-8ADA-7A2B1EBE7025.jpeg
Views:	604
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	893131 What kind of pictures.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        That is my brother. I'm doing the big blink.

• Rfhd69
        Rfhd69 commented
        Editing a comment
        What a great set of jorts! The belt and socks are crucial to this outfit!

Click image for larger version

Name:	AEBD8467-17A8-4FA7-B5BB-F496CE530FA7.png
Views:	318
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	893167Click image for larger version

Name:	69D89444-8F49-41C8-97FB-5849E93CC55F.png
Views:	329
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	893166
      These are two spirits you do not want to buy. I did a lot of hands on research on these two In college.

Comment

Nothing special but back in the day 1974-75 a little Old Charter and a stop at the local 7 Eleven for a large coke icee made some good times.

Comment

Oops. Wrong place.
          Last edited by Murdy; August 14, 2020, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Although I can say I've sampled many of the aforementioned, I spent more of my youth inhaling rather than sipping or guzzling....

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              So......that explains everything.

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              You should run for office then!

- Read through the whole thread this morning and Cheef who mentioned potato beer jostled a few cobwebs or maybe reinvigorated some very unused brain cells and brought back a memory.
            - While on active duty and stationed in Yokusuka Japan I stumbled into this establishment it wasn't a bar. Had a bowl of Udon Soup and chased it down with "Hoppy Shochu". The Hoppy part was nearly a non alcholic beverage that tasted like beer and looked color wise like beer. The Shochu (alcohol) part was clear, serverd up cold and in a cold or frosted mug. It was made with a variety of things but mainly with potato's or sweet potato's. You then poured the Hoppy into the Shochu providing the beer flavor. The JN's would normally sell this as 5 parts Hoppy to 1 part Shochu.
            - Us crazy Gaijin's would ask for a double or triple of the Shochu bringing the alcohol content up to well over 20+% alcohol.
            - Not all places sold this stuff but a good indicator you could get it at the establishment was there would be a charecture of a Rabbit that looked like Bug's Bunny on a sidewalk sign before entering the building.
            - The more you wandered from the prescribed 5:1 ratio of Hoppy to Shochu the worse it tasted and the following morning the headaches were more brutal. However they were just like "Lay's" Potato Chips you just couldn't have 1.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Hontu desu, tomodachi....
              Jaa mata!
              Kio tsukete, kudesai!
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 16, 2021, 08:52 PM.

Don't remember what the beer was, but 30 years ago when I made beer I needed bottles and found a Wisconsin beer in returnables that was insanely cheap. I tried to drink it, but couldn't. Dumped the case and used the bottles.

Comment

• JCGrill
              JCGrill commented
              Editing a comment
              It wasn't Wisconsin Club, was it? I will post below.

Ha! Boone's Farm sure takes me back. We used to have some "of age" neighbors that were sympathetic to our plight, and they would procure Colt45, Schlitz Malt, King Cobra and the like for us. Dad used to keep a case of wine in the garage, so it was not too difficult to lift one of those once in a while. Drank pretty much whatever we could get until around 17 and could pass in the liquor store and get what we wanted. Still drank a lot of funky stuff.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              My older brother finally refused to buy 6 quarts of bud for us. Pushed us into the case world.

Southern Comfort.....the rest of the story isnt so funny. Even after all these years.

Comment

• Ronaldf123
              Ronaldf123 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto that, especially the not funny part

In high school it was Old Milwaukee (Old Mud) or Phillips vodka. The girls were partial to SoCo or Purple Passion, but I wouldn't touch it.

In college (early 90s) we found a liquor store that carried Wisconsin Club. 24 bottles for around 5 bucks. Worst beer I've ever tasted, and I've tasted some bad ones.

One night I'm in my dorm room (dry campus, by the way) and a buddy wanders in. Says he's just gotten the recipe for skip and go nakeds. Off to the liquor store to buy the ingredients. Things started off pretty well until we ran out of lemonade, so then we started drinking vodka with Kool-aid. Using the Kool-aid Man pitcher. And each subsequent batch used more vodka and less water.

Did you ever notice how nice and cool a porcelain toilet is when you are draped over it?

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              The tile floor is much the same way.

• ssandy_561
              ssandy_561 commented
              Editing a comment
              In college we used to mix the Gatorade powder with Vodka. No water. That stuff had a kick!

First time I went to India, 1993ish, finally get to the hotel. Two pilots, flight attendant, our international handler and myself. Order 5 beers, King Fisher, clear glass quart bottle, the only beer you can get at that time. Not one of the beers were the same color as any of the others. I swear they used embalming fluid during the brewing process. But after your third ...... who cared!
            I will say they, King Fisher, has come a long way with their beer.

Comment

Booze and memories - so, one thing you got as a "bennie" from being in the Army in the '60s was cheap beer at the PX. I seem to recall a pitcher was $.35, no clue who made it or if there was any brand at all. I wasn't much of a beer drinker, but "needs must" as they say! Lots of pitchers of that beer, which for a punk kid from the burbs was pretty awesome.

But then we landed in 'Nam in '66 and found out that warm, cheap beer really can be swallowed - sorta. Biere Larue and Biere 33, in bottles, no frig or ice, but enough alcohol to maybe kill the germs. I think there was another brand called Tiger beer - a little research shows these brands now are Heineken, but I'm pretty sure they weren't back in the '60s. Maybe some other vets in The Pit know more.

The worst though, was caused by desperation. For a reason I do not recall, a few of us had to go to the huge military base at Ben Hoa outside Saigon. We didn't bring anything besides our weapons as we were not supposed to stay overnight - no booze or dope (or brain power). That evening, Charlie decided that shelling Ben Hoa was a good idea. Oops. Into bunkers, or on top of them, to watch the shyte-show, and wonder of wonders, 2 bottles of warm Creme-de-Menthe and cans of warm Coka-Cola. My God, the mix of that stuff was wretched, but that didn't stop us battle-hardened idiots from guzzling it down. C-rats and that stuff made for a very interesting night with Mr. Ralph. ugh.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here