Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CHEAP CRAP WE DRANK GROWING UP + One funny story to go with it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a teenager in the 50s in El Paso, TX. which is across the river from Juarez, Mexico. If you were tall enough to reach the bar, you could buy drinks at ANY age. As teenagers we used to go to the floor shows and drink bourbon named Juarez Straight American. We didn't know any better, and at 25 cents a drink we thought it was great. Mexican beers were only 5 cents. The beer smelled like it came from the Greyhound Racetrack.

After drinking in Juarez, we would return to El Paso and go to Chico's Tacos where we would pool our money and buy a DOZEN tacos for $1.20. Those were tasty and would help sober us up,

Comment

Olympia, Hamms, Black Label .... and who can ever forget the generic craze and cans of BEER

Then there was the time someone in the group I hung out with decided to make screwdrivers. With some cheapass vodka and Donald Duck orange juice. Mixed 50/50 ..... that was a bad night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	generic-beer.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	980018

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        No more - no less..

• SmokingPat
        SmokingPat commented
        Editing a comment
        Beers of Olde: Olympia, Hamms, Bud, Schlitz, Coors, Pabst Blue Ribbon. The beer aisle looks so different today. But the prices for those 'Beers of Olde' have kept up with current craft beers. 🤔

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        For those curious about that night with the Donald Duck OJ screwdrivers …. We were so drunk that we were laying on a merry go round in the park laughing and throwing up when the cops showed up. That park backed up onto a freeway, with a chain link fence between. 4 of us managed to, somehow, get our behinds over that fence and then played Frogger across the freeway and didn’t get arrested …. All of us being pretty under age for drinking.

17 years old. CHUGGED most of a bottle of Corby’s whiskey. I woke up in the Clairton jail. My dad had to get me out.

That was NOT a good weekend. I probably should have died from that one.

Comment

I and my three friends were known for driving the endless miles of dirt roads in our area drinking strawberry hill or orange rock wine. We hit a bump one day and Jimmy chipped a front tooth on a bottle. We had to find a way to prevent that. The local drug store had just the thing. We bought one of those hot water bottles with a hose things and hung it from the rear view mirror. We just passed the hose around, it even had a clip that shut it off so it wouldn't leak when you passed it. We were the guys that people forbade there daughters from going near. We were a lot of fun though.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm.....I was usually in the library studying. True story. Senior year in high school we had a Christmas gift exchange in Civics class. Me and a buddy, also named John, were the class cut ups. I drew his name for the gift exchange. I actually bought him a 6 pack of Buckhorn Beer and brought it into class. Came time to exchange gifts in class I gave it to him. Teacher freaked out and made me hide it under my desk till class was over. I sneakily opened one and drank it undetected during class.

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Our kind of kids were under appreciated. We had a teacher who told us that his goal in life would be attained if just one of us had an original thought. We were just trying to help him out. Sadly only two out the four of us made it to real adulthood.

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that is hard core! I love it.

Lime, orange, cherry vodka, blackberry brandy, MD 20/20, Annie Green Springs wine, etc. Drink til you puke, go to bed, do it again the next night. Fun times with nasty liquor.

Comment

Beer Pong with Ice House comes to mind and makes me cringe. But it got the party going like no other. LOL

Also, Edward 40 Hands with 40's of Mickey's Malt Liquor. Almost more trouble than it was worth.......almost.

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            The problem with Edward 40 hands is that you've got to finish 40 oz of malt liquor before you have to pee.

And it's Schlitz of nothing.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I know, by far the worst part. And its a waste of duct tape. BFlynn

When I went to school in Jackson, MS - the local grocery would sell a case (24 pack) of Schaefer beer for $6.
          It's important to have a stocked supply of beer on a college campus in a state that doesn't sell beer on Sundays.
          So I'd buy "a non-zero number" of cases on Thursday, and not refrigerate them.

Turns out, there is a VERY small portion of the population that will help themselves to your room temperature Schaefer beer.
          At that portion of the population's name is Fred. We're still friends.

Comment

One time we got snowed in in our cabin in Cloudcroft, N. Mex. the night we arrived. We only took food for the evening and were going to go to the grocery store the next morning. We couldn't get out and ran out of food.

All we had for two days was vodka and cherry cider. Sickening sweet.

I never went anywhere w/o food again.

Comment

I played in a punk band for a few years when I was younger, i.e. 16-20. I carried a pint sized beer stein with me everywhere, and would ask for alcohol 'donations' during the shows since I was underage and typically couldn't buy my own.

One show we played was on a farm just outside this little town in Central Utah, inside a hay barn. I don't know what the 'cheap alcohol' was that I drank that night, but I woke up the next morning out in the middle of a hay field wearing a ladies shirt, cowboy boots, and jeans that I wasn't sure were mine either. I suspect a mix of cheap tequila and beer (and maybe something non-liquid green??). I love tequila, but it does kick my butt.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                I’d like to hear more about how you wound up in the ladies shirt.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                This is one of the best posts I have ever read. LOL

• crazytown3
                crazytown3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Panhead John wish I knew for sure. Most times I would take my shirt off when playing. My assumption is a (young?) lady gave me her shirt, which raises the question, what did she do then? There were many shows where various items of clothing were left behind haha. Different times.

Homemade wine that we made out of Welches grape juice. The juice and a little packet of bakers yeast. And maybe some extra sugar. I don’t remember. In a gallon jug topped with a vent stopper of some sort we found I don’t remember where. Man did that stuff taste awful! But it kicked your butt and oh my what a hangover.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Man, you are lucky you didn't go blind, my friend.

Some of these stories give me a hangover just thinking about them. I remember back in high school when I found out beer would freeze, but you could still drink it. We would get beer, put it under the car and go watch some sport, then drink later. It would be frozen in the winter. Our solution was vodka. That brought it's own problems.

Comment

Let me preface this by saying that I now love bourbon, American whisky, scotch, Irish whisky but when I was 15, 45 years ago, i had an experience that kept me drinking beer exclusively for 30+ years.

I’m a big guy, 6’+, 280-290ish lbs and at 15 I was really small, lightning quick, and played football and baseball and if I was 120lbs soaking wet, that was a lot.

2 of my friends and I pooled our money and sat outside the local "Liquor Locker" hoping we could get someone to buy us some whisky. A guy said ‘ok’ and we gave him $20 and asked him to get some whisky for us. He bought us a pint of Fleishmans whisky ( I now realize it was probably a $2-$3 bottle), handed it to us with no change, and we were off.

There is a small river/brook that ran through the middle of the town I grew up in so that’s where we headed. We walked in the brook and took turns drinking from the pint (or so I thought) until we reached the grammar school near our houses, approximately half a mile. At that point, I thought we were all DRINKING, I learned later that my 2 friends took their first swig and hated the taste so faked drinking the rest of the way so I basically drank the whole pint.

As we emerged from the brook onto the athletic field behind the school, I started having trouble walking. By the time we got to the front of the school, I was being dragged between my 2 friends. As we walked down the main street towards my street, a cop stopped us trying to see what was going on.

The cop happened to be my neighbor, from 3 doors away and I knew him very well (his wife used to babysit me and he sometimes babysat with her). He took me and drove me home and carried me/dragged me into my house. While he talked to my parents, I crawled upstairs to the bathroom and proceed to fall on the sink and knocked it off the wall (no vanity under the sink) and cause a big mess.

My parents never hassled me over the drinking that I can remember BUT made me repair the bathroom which turned into me gutting the bathroom and totally rebuilding it. It took a long time before I could smell or taste whisky without gagging.
                Last edited by kjbarth; July 17, 2021, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got one word of advice…paragraphs

• kjbarth
                  kjbarth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Troutman, how’s that?

Back in high school it was Miller 7 oz. bottles. Open 'em, 2 quick sips, and on to the next one.

One time, when I was in college, the new stockboy at the neighborhood liquor store mismarked Guinness Stout with the same price as Miller and PBR. The roomie and I schlepped six cases a mile and a half home.

Comment

Almaden (?) jug wine.

Comment

Cutty Sark.
                    Last edited by jlazar; July 16, 2021, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here