Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milk punch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milk punch

Anyone try these milk punch recipes. The black tea really goes well with smoked meats. Good bbq cocktail. I used dark rum in place of the liquor specified, couldn't find, and a bit less sugar. Good technique, very easy to alter and play around with.

I've been meaning to get a bottle of Batavia arrack for my collection/research. I have a couple versions of Jerry Thomas's book and it seems milk drinks were pretty popular in Victorian times.

Comment

I think their booze was pretty rough so they needed to do something with it. Ben Franklin had a few milk punch recipes. Charles Dickens died with a cellar full of bottles of punch. Once you strain it through the curds it will last indefinitely in the fridge.

Comment

By the late 1800's, spirits were not as bad as you think. Bacardi was up and running in 1862 in an attempt to make rum more respectable. Punch was very popular prior to cocktails, I had a lead on getting the real Fish House Punch which would have been pretty exciting (and I would have to swear to secrecy ). The Flowing Bowl has more information on punches.

Comment

Another great resource. Bookmarked, and awaiting reading, thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here