Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Molecular printed beverages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Molecular printed beverages?

A company named Cana sez it has developed a beverage dispensing machine that will molecularly print thousands of different drinks - including wine and other alcoholic drinks.

It will print:

Sodas
    Sports drinks
    Fruit juices
    Wine
    Cocktails
    And others

Refills are free, but you will pay by the drink. $499 for the first 10,000 and $799 after that.

More details here:

https://www.engadget.com/cana-one-mo...d%20cocktails.

It will be available next year.
    Last edited by RonB; March 4, 2022, 11:09 AM.

I can see this working for drinks that are basically chemical formulas themselves, e.g. soda. I can even see it working for fruit juice pretty well.

Booze and especially wine? Not beyond the plonk. Take wine... It's grapes, but what gives any good wine its character is that grape, grown in a particular area, on specific soil with a given exposure during a specific vintage that's then made from grape juice into wine through a myriad of decisions by a winemaker.

Control for everything but vintage and you still get different wines from year to year because weather varies. Pick grapes at a different ripeness and you get a very different wine. Then there are wines like the Minervois I had last weekend. It's all of the above... but a blend of grapes. There are some regulations on what can be blended etc (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minervois_AOC) but each winemaker will make different choices vintage to vintage. ANd then how to you raise it? New wood? Older wood? A mix? In stainless?

All of that is what makes wine truly interesting to anyone who's into it. Could they print some generic red or white? Yeah. Could they print thousands of variations that account for everything above? Nah.
    Last edited by rickgregory; March 4, 2022, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. They are probably offering red and white, not Burgundy and Chablis much less a 2017 anything...

Ahhh! A fine molecular composition, me thinks a fall of 2021 mebbee! October. Yup!

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, October. it was a very good month for molecules.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Lololololol

Absolutely agree, you can't make decent wine or beer mixing molecules on the fly, no way, no how. Beer fermentation is an even more complicated process than is wine fermentation.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      of all people, I thought you would be most excited about this. ONE day, we will have Star Trek food and beverage printers

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Beer is not one of the offered beverages right now.

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, if it were possible, heck yeah. Tea, earl grey, hot, for the win!

I believe I would definitely preorder this if we hadn't just cut out soft drinks.
    Still it would be interesting to see if it would be cheaper to use than brewing our own ice tea each day. We go through 1/2 gallon or more per day and brew it strong!
    Hey I am of a mind that our foods and beverages are so modified already that this might even be beneficial to health.

Comment

I saw this too. It's worth noting the Keurig cocktail maker already went belly up. It supposedly dispensed beer as well as cocktails. I briefly wanted one until I realized I have a full bar in the basement and a minibar in the dining room and I actually enjoy mixing drinks.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        And because Keurig makes crappy coffee as well.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Keurig makes trash. Lots of trash.

I am very tempted to preorder and risk it.
      My biggest concern is the cost of the monthly subscription as it doesn't state that anywhere clearly>
      Am I missing that?

Comment

• Debra
        Debra commented
        Editing a comment
        @pkadre thank you. This is definitely sounding interesting.
        Is there any way to determine the per drink charge for the non alcoholic beverages? I do like gadgets and gizmos.

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        No detailed pricing yet. Scroll towards the bottom of this page for the scant pricing details offered so far.
        The year is 2023. Yet, nearly everything we buy starts in carbon-intensive factories, gets distributed in gas-powered vehicles, then collects in landfills. Despite quantum leaps in material sciences, computing, and nanotechnology ... The way we make and distribute stuff is stuck in the past …

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Debra - Engadget sez between $0.29 and $3.00 per drink. I'm guessing that plain water will be the cheapest...

<climbing on soapbox>
      Setting aside any discussion regarding the quality of the drinks this thing produces and putting on my infosec hat, I am really glad to see that Cana will be pushing updates rather than relying on the customer to do so. Assuming that Cana actually has their security ducks in a row (applies to any IoT vendor) then pushing updates is a much, much better model than relying on the end customer as most of them either don't know how, can't be bothered, or simply don't think about it. IoT vendors, by and large, are horrible at security. I have very few IoT devices in my home as I have an extremely high bar for the security posture of these items.
      <climbing off soapbox>

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't do IoT at all...

The wine and other alcohol will be more of a success. You will have to breathe into a Breathilizer, if drunk enough, it will allow you to purchase and you'll be too drunk to know what's up and what's down.

Comment

Molecular printed beverages? Print me up some PBR

Comment

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          Now THAT should be no problem

Hard pass

Comment

Aside from being skeptical about the capability of this thing to turn out quality versions of various beverages, there's another downside....

What if you spend $500 and... Cana goes out of business? Once the ingredient pouches run out, you have a really expensive paperweight.

Comment

So Star Trek made real?

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot.
            Last edited by STEbbq; March 5, 2022, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Zero interest

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here