Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading our coffee situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading our coffee situation

Like many others my wife and I love a strong cup or two of black coffee in the morning. We are wanting to upgrade our Keurig that was a gift a long time ago. Anyone have experience and/or advice regarding Jura or De’Loghi models? Looks like Costco carries a few. Thanks in advance!

Not one of the brands you mentioned … but Nespresso brews an acceptable cup. We’ve had one for a few years and although I’m more of an espresso nerd, the wife along with occasional guests (and even I when I don’t feel like firing up the Rancilio) have always enjoyed what it makes.

Comment

Thanks! I’ll take a look at that

Comment

We’ve been doing pour over for about six months and love it. I really love the hands on approach.

I guess it’s kinda like barbecue…some people like pellet smokers while I’m a stick burner. Hands on to get exactly what I want.
        Last edited by Santamarina; August 29, 2021, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• Rfhd69
          Rfhd69 commented
          Editing a comment
          We’ve had a few pour over coffees at a several local coffee shops. Took awhile (which wasn’t a problem) but they were really good! Never thought about doing that at home and will definitely consider!

• Dan Deter
          Dan Deter commented
          Editing a comment
          I laugh at the "new" pour-over. That was how I made the coffee for my parents when I was a kid.

You need a Bripe

The Bripe Coffee Brew Pipe allows you to make the perfect cup of coffee anywhere. Heat the copper cup with a torch to brew your grounds, then sip through the straw for filtered coffee. You can get 50% off plus free shipping when you order online.

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like you'd need a man bun and skinny jeans before they'd sell you one of those. :-)

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          pkadare definitely a hipster thing lol.

• Rfhd69
          Rfhd69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Haaaaaaa

@Rfhd69 If you like good coffee you might want to look at this site
        Veteran Coffee Company is a Veteran owned and operated coffee company based out of Orlando, FL.

I lealy like some of their coffee & it's fresher than anything you are going to get in the store. it's where I go for coffee

Comment

• Rfhd69
          Rfhd69 commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll check it out! Thanks for the link

I use a basic WalMart drip maker, but once in a while I get a wild hair and break out the French press. It does make a nice cup. From what I read, using super boiling water actually lowers the quality. Using hot but not boiling water is better, but won't be as strong from a pour-over perspective - only have to let it steep for a few minutes to get it stronger.

Comment

De'Longhi Magnifica XS Automatic Espresso and Cappuccino Machine.

My wife is a coffee snob and she loves this machine. I have to admit it does make a great cup of coffee as well as espresso and is easy to maintain.

We got ours at Costco.

Comment

• Rfhd69
            Rfhd69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I’ll take a look

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            We've owned 5 De'Longhi Magnifica if I include the three at our work offices (before I retired.) About every 2-3 years I replace some O-rings, and the steamer knob/control. There are YouTube explanations. We have been making 4-5 cappuccinos or espresso macchiatos per day for over ten years, so somewhere over 10 thousand cups.

If you want a good pour over coffee maker, look at the Chemex makers. They are relatively cheap, and you can refrigerate and reheat the coffee without worrying about that burned flavor it gets from sitting in a regular coffee pot for hours.

We have a Keurig machine - heck, I am drinking a cup from one in my office right now - but the best K-cup coffee doesn't touch the flavor and depth of good quality fresh brewed coffee made with a regular coffee maker, in my mind.

Now, back to espresso/cappuccino machines like you were actually asking about.... I've had a Delonghi manual espresso machine for many years, and it makes a great cup or two of espresso, and froths the milk up great if you want cappuccino. Right now my daughter uses it every time she comes to visit, more than I use it. The closest models I see right now on the Delonghi site right now are the manual espresso machines in the $159 price range. Something like this:

The nice thing is that those don't take much counter space, and are also easily stored when not in use.

I cannot comment on the fancier coffee makers though...
          Last edited by jfmorris; August 30, 2021, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Rfhd69 I have a Jura E6. Best thing we ever did, coffee wise. I can produce 10 oz of coffee that is strong, flavorful and hot in about 20 seconds. Or 2 espressos plus hot water to make an Americano in just slightly longer, takes perhaps a one minute to have an Americano. We've had it for about 5 years now. I used to buy a cup of coffee or an Americano at a coffee stand near my house every morning. I haven't done that since we bought the Jura. Figure $3 X 1500 days = $4500. I spend about $45/month on good beans. I figure that I have about broken even compared to buying coffee stand/shop coffee. And I get my coffee in 5 minutes, not having to go drive to get it.

Yes folks, I have done all the other stuff .... French press, pour over, percolator, good drip machines, Keurig. None of them are as fast, easy, or GOOD as what I get from the Jura.

Heartily endorse it!
            Last edited by ecowper; August 30, 2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• Rfhd69
              Rfhd69 commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s what I needed to hear my friend. Sold!

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks like a pretty sweet machine right there!

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Richard Chrz it is really nice. For folks looking for something that can do really good coffee and will last for years, this is it.

Technivorm Moccamaster

Pour over flavor and depth, drip convenience. Comes in most colors to match your kitchen.
            After you've had coffee from this pot you won't be able drink anyone else's.

​​​​​​​

Attached Files

Comment

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              That is what we use

Black and Hot, Strong--not so much. I can drink more cups of coffee when it is on the lighter side.
            Kopi luwak coffee I have never tried. Delicacy in Indoneisa.

Comment

To clarify the difference between an Americano and a cup of coffee made in any number of ways, including drip, pour over, French press, etc ...... the biggest difference, espresso is made under high pressure and there is no brewing of coffee. This results in a different taste than something that is brewed using drip, French press, etc.

Comment

• JohnPaul
                JohnPaul commented
                Editing a comment
                Love Americanos! I do prefer them a little on the stronger side, so when I order I ask for little less water.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                I am lazy, and rather than switch to the hot water spout, just keep the pump going until I fill my coffee mug. My thoughts were that pumping the extra 8-10 ounces of water through the double shot of espresso grounds made for a stronger cup, but apparently not an authentic Americano...

I know this is older, but we have the Jura E6 as well and absolutely love it. Best investment for coffee we had done. I’m a fru fru coffee person (mochas) 🤣 and they’re great. The price was high, but the ROI was about 6 months for us from going to coffee shops.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s the thing … if you go to coffee shops, you are spending a ridiculous amount of money on "coffee" …. I actually only drink typical American coffee, Americano’s, or Espresso’s … and by making them all at home, I paid for the Jura in just a few months. They taste as good, or better, as what I get at a coffee joint. I don’t have to put up with coffee places, which I really don’t enjoy. And I can have an Espresso on demand.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here