Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brew day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brew day

Moved my gallon of porter into the second fermentation today, soaked the wood chunks that came with in bourbon for a few days and added those into my second ferment. Started another ferment on a duplicate batch of porter. Moved a gallon batch out of 2nd fermentation of Jun tea (green tea and honey kombucha) into bottles. Moved last weeks batch of booch into a second ferment mixed with purée of summer berries, and started a fresh batch of booch. Hoping to try and keep a gallon of beer, if not two always in each stage, and same for booch. I’d like to bottle every week, time will tell, but, lot’s of fun learning in all of this as well. Next, I need to get some fresh honey so I can start some mead still this year. Also a cool photo of the light and bubble spectrum of a carboy that was taken out of the sanitizer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F3BE4CA3-515F-4949-ABFB-F22E441CE6FB.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	1071471

Click image for larger version  Name:	8F9CD986-2D9E-48FE-8682-DE46C983BB61.jpeg Views:	34 Size:	2.58 MB ID:	1071473

Click image for larger version  Name:	4CFDC7CB-1984-4DB6-B627-DC23F2EC404C.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	6.81 MB ID:	1071470
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 3, 2021, 07:59 AM.

Booch?

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Kombucha-fermented sweet tea.

Will you be able to brew a PBR hack?

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      bbqLuv the problem with 11% PBR is that it would end up being mostly rice, very little barley. If you used enough barley to get it to 11% it would have way too much flavor and body to be PBR-like.

• gatorjj
      gatorjj commented
      Editing a comment
      I make one I call "Dude Light" (since the other name was already taken). Cheap, light and next to no flavor but perfect in the middle of summer.

And in the tap next to it is something called Valhalla at 14%...just so things even out

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      One of our local brew pubs makes one and they call it shitty lite. And I’m not saying that out of disrespect bbqLuv , I do know you love the beer, and that is cool!

Love that you are diving into brewing. This is something I always wanted to do, but never got into it. Especially when I cut gluten out of my diet. But, keep sharing what you are doing with this! Love getting to read about it!

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      There's an enzyme called ClarityFerm that you add to the fermenter that reduces gluten to under what the gummit thinks is gluten free (10,000 PPB). So you have no excuse, now.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn it! mnavarre I don’t need that! Funny you mention it - I just filled a growler this past weekend at a local brewery/pub that does the same thing to 5 of their brews. I was not aware they did this until recently. The growler last less than 24 hours…..

I’ll have to look into the enzyme. Although I’m not celiac/intolerant - although I could be slightly, I’m not sure. I just know i feel a heck of a lot better w/o gluten. Although I will have a few beers on occasion because its so good!

Richard Chrz I am sure you know this already, but while its fine for the kombucha, don't leave your fermenting beer out on the counter in the light. If you do, cover it with a dark towel. Light and UV exposure reacts with compounds in the hops to result in "skunked" beer.

I usually ferment in a fridge that is thermostatically controlled with a $20 temperature controller, but if I do leave it out at room temp, I cover the fermenter in a towel or two to keep the light off it. And keep it away from windows.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, my beer ferments are stored in a dark cool area, thank you though.

I just purchased 3 cans of home brew.(Mexican cervesa, Dutch lager and a Pilsner.(Each can makes 23 liters). Make sure you use spring water or pure rain water as that makes a big difference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here