Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starbucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I read these posts, I think back to when I was working and stopped at Starbucks every single morning on the way into the office. Didn’t think anything of it. I have been retired for nearly five years and haven’t stopped at Starbucks since my last day on the job. I am perfectly happy with my 30 cent Per serving. Costco K cup coffee now. When I think of all the $$ I spent on coffee..... 🤦

Comment

It is time to set coffee snobs straight. Folgers, Maxwell house, MJB all brewed to perfection.
      So what do you do when coffee beans are over roasted, burned? I know sell them as Starbucks.
      Besides if Starbucks was good coffee there would be no need to all those flavors, and other concoctions.

Comment

As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder or to each his own or one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. And, so it goes with coffee.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          And pizza.....

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          "As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder . . ." is that not in the eye of the Coffee BeanHolder?

I'm too cheap to go to Starbucks, plus I'm not that impressed with their coffee anyway. I like HEBs French roast and I make it every morning.

Comment

Old thread, I know. I got a Behmor roaster from Sweet Maria's in 2010.
          Have not bought coffee for home since. I love getting green beans from around the world and finding the places they come from on Google maps. I am not a '"super taster" but anyone can taste the difference in my coffee compared to commercial. If I lived in Seattle or similar place I doubt I would have gotten into it
          Behmor cost about $250 at the time with 8 lbs coffee. I have replaced the basket once, the power supply once and changed out the main board with an upgraded one with more features. Total maybe $150 though the biggest part was the upgraded board. Looks like latest version now avail for $450 on that site.
          If mine broke I would get a new one in a second. I look forward to waking up to sweet coffee (without sweeteners). Pre pandemic when I would go visiting would often give a bag of home roasted coffee as a gift and it was always appreciated.

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree. We have had the Behmor roaster for years. If ours died we would replace it in a heartbeat.

I've been using a Gene Cafe coffee roaster for 5 years and, while more expensive at $550, I've roasted about 400 pounds and have saved thousands. Buy beans from Bohdis, Burman and SM at about $5-$6/lb. So easy to do and so much better coffee than even at a local coffee roaster.

Comment

• wu7y
            wu7y commented
            Editing a comment
            I avoid Starbucks for reasons other than their bad coffee. I see it wouldn't take too many Starbucks to pay for a Behmor roaster and much better coffee.

A little clip from the film Role Models with a "Venti" rant. Spinaker Dewesq55

Comment

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            hahaha!

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Since then, they have a Trente cold drink size, that is indeed 30 ounces. The Venti is actually a 24 ounce, so it should be Ventiquattro. But good luck getting Americans to order a Ventiquattro

I need to find a place that serves decent coffee, preferably percolator or cowboy coffee in Route 44 sizes for when I am on my business trips. My Stanley thermos (older one, when they were made in USA) only holds so much from home.

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Love cowboy coffee! I don't make it too often but it is a nice treat.

$5 a day saved for 20 years at 5% is $60K
          could have bought a boat……..

Comment

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            Heck the market return 2002-2022 was 8.6%
            that makes it a $96K boat!

• Finster
            Finster commented
            Editing a comment
            Soon to be $10 with inflation..

Don't really care for Starbucks coffee. Often tastes 'burnt' to me. And the pretentiousness of the place is just another turnoff. The prices are ridiculous, just so many reasons to go elsewhere.

But then, we pay like $2.79 for a glass of tea when we go out to eat - even worse in terms of the insanity of the markup.

I think I need to stop eating out, period. Already do way less than I used to, but... I think it's time to take more stock of what we spend on stupidity.

Comment

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't recall the last time I was in a Starbucks, for most of the reasons you state, but the most common coffee we have at home is Starbucks French Roast from Costco, which goes on sale fairly regularly.

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            The "burnt" flavor profile is probably by design, imho. There is only so much of the really good stuff to go around, so there isn't nearly enough to supply the massive number of Starbucks stores. Roasting the hell out of whatever they source is a way to make it a more uniform product.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Eat out or fast food about 1 or 2 times a month not counting business trips.

So, this round two of our "maybe trial member". Interesting that this post on coffee is picked after choosing the alcohol post. Is there a pattern here.
          Do you have a cooker? Do you cook? Grillin or Q’in?

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            ETOH and coffee are two major food groups in my life. Throw in DMD and you've covered most of the liquid I imbibe.

I don't like Starbucks. Over priced, over roasted terrible coffee. I love fresh roasted beans from local places and online but if I make a stop it's at Dunks'.

No fancy names there just "Big One, Regular".

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Big as my gut, black as my heart. If I can float a quarter on it great

Never been to a Starbucks. I refuse to actually.

I am a Caribou Coffee Guy. Life is short, stay awake for it!

(Plus, Caribou gives me used grounds for my garden.)

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife loves Caribou too. It is how she starts her day when we are in the Twin Cities. Heck, she has found a Caribou in far flung places like Denver and the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia.

I love their Verona (not to be confused with their Veranda, yuck) pourover. Good deep roast strong coffee, yum...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here