Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starbucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starbucks

Well I just made my first trip into Starbucks in the last 5 years.
    Went with my Brother in Law who is addicted to one of their drinks and has one daily. I don't know what the hell it was he orders but it ended up smelling like peppermint!
    COFFE that smells like Peppermint should be illegal!
    I ordered a medium black, and quickly remembered why I don't go to Starbucks.
    By the way--you don't just order a medium black coffee and get away with it.
    The "guy?" at the window let me know it was going to be a VENTE. He also had a name for the black coffee but I don't remember what he called it.
    I grew up on oilfield coffee, and it can get pretty potent depending on who is making it, and what time of the day it is. I LOVE strong black coffee.
    No sugar, no milk, no added candy flavor and I am used to drinking it 24 hours a day no matter the circumstances.
    Well?
    That $4.00 cup of black Starbucks put me in my place.
    2 sips and it won the bet you can't finish me game.
    Absolutely the nastiest, most bitter, boiling to the point of being molten concoction I have ever forced through my lips.
    $4.00 for a cup of that crap should be considered highway robbery.
    $11.00 for 2 drinks?
    Now I can go another 5 years not wondering why I don't go back.

That is one thing I cannot stand about those places......all the little pet names for really basic stuff.

"Please give me a large black coffee........."

"Oh we don't have any large black coffee.....I think you mean a triple Venti, Colombiano, liquido mocha, machi.......Do you want that?"

"No, I want the last 30 seconds of my life back and coffee somewhere else."

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha ha! I agree 100% 😄

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll drink out a mud puddle with a dead skunk in it before I go to the 'buck.
      I was brought up on coffee truck coffee....enough said!

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      👏 Exactly.

Cheef I fully agree with your sentiments on $5 bucks as I like to call it. I drink my coffee black, and I would prefer just about anyone else's cup of Joe to the bitter burnt over-roasted beans that Starbucks serves. Having raised 3 kids, I absolutely hated going into Starbucks with the family, as it was basically a shop for the kids to all get $5-6 milkshakes. I would always try to steer things to Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, Sonic - heck, even McDonald's has better coffee, and much cheaper milkshakes.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll drink Mickey D's coffee.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike, McD's coffee is pretty good. I am kind of a coffee snob sometimes, and a friend told me McD's was good and I turned up my nose. Then, during a coffee emergency on the road, I tried it. Nose turned back down...

I also don't get it. Their coffee is not even close to good. Never ordered anything but black coffee there and was always disappointed.

AND at least one of their concoctions has more calories than a milkshake!?

Comment

On site visits for the company we usually stay in Marriott hotels, and they have Starbucks in all of the lobbies. I got to where I would walk to nearby gas stations for coffee before I would buy that overpriced swill, even though it is on the company dime.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought i was the only one, lol.

I have a few friends who love that crap and we'll meet there from time to time. I order nothing and simply enjoy their company. I also giggle to myself a little as I sit in the chair and feel a slight dig in my right hip, tee hee
      Last edited by CaptainMike; October 19, 2020, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that slight dig to the hip a heart attack warning?

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        If necessary HawkerXP.

I don’t understand enjoying perfectly good water strained through ground beans. But that’s just me.

Comment

Looks like it might be time to get my wife back into the coffee roasting game.
        I went for years being pampered by her with home roasted beans.
        Then I got to where she declared I was abusing my privileges and drinking too much of it.
        I do tend to go overboard on some things BUT home roasted coffee is kind of an addiction when you get started.
        That plus the fact I just love the smell when she roasts it.
        She uses an OLD Hot Top roaster.
        I just took a look on Sweet Marias website and DAMN!!! It looks like the Hot Top has hit the big time tech wise! Also price wise!

I remember ours was about $500 bucks 15 years ago but no programming-just a timer that would dump the beans when it finished.
        That was a lot of money back then but it probably paid for itself with the quantity I drink and the price difference between raw beans, and store bought.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. So I went to the site and the first thing I noticed was the popcorn popper, and I thought wow, they sell popcorn to eat with your coffee. 20 buck entry point plus beans - I think I am in on this.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I use a CI skillet. Thinkin about a Whirly POP to roast em.

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          There used to be a guy on one of the forums who would use a rotisserie basket he had made and roast them on a gas grill. During the roast you can hear them crack or pop. If I remember right it is after the second crack that they really start roasting.

Yep. Overrated and over priced. But they’ve convinced a lot of people that’s how it’s supposed to be.

By the way, The best road coffee I’ve had in my life came from a Pilot truck stop on i20 in Louisiana about a year or so ago.
        Last edited by Texas Larry; October 19, 2020, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, there was a Pilot outside Jacksonville, FL that I went to years ago on a field assignment that had some of the best coffee I have ever had.

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed on Pilot coffee.
          7-11 isn't too bad either.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Dunkin Donuts too! (at least it was last time I was in one)

I'm sure I'm just a contrarian, but I really like Starbucks. On days when I commute (used to?) to NYC, I always order my "Venti Iced Redeye" with extra cream and 3 pink sweeteners on the app before leaving the house. Drive down to main street, park, an in and out with my liquid energy on about 30 seconds and off I go. I won't mention why I have to stop at Wawa about 2 hours into the trip. 😯

BTW, Cheef , Venti is a large. Medium is Grande. Just sayin'!
        Last edited by Dewesq55; October 19, 2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          You stop at wawa for a second cup, right???

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          Doesn't that seem kind of backwards?
          Seems like Grande would be the biggest.

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          Nah, not a contrarian since so many agree with you🤣. Lots of folks like Starbucks. To each his own. We like what we like. Makes life interesting!

I call it "Charbucks." Really, when you think about it, there is no way to supply actual good stuff to as many stores as they have. So they take the best they can get in mass quantities and over-roast it all to a crisp so it smells and tastes the same. People like what they like, and that's fine, but it's just not my thing. And I only drink my coffee black, so no hot milkshakes for me.
        Last edited by Steve R.; October 19, 2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I don't like coffee at all from anywhere. Spare me the "you just haven't had good coffee yet" argument.

The real puzzle to me is why the smell of Starbucks always, ALWAYS reminds me of skunks or B.O.? Who would want to drink something that smelled of either?

I do like their coffee cake though. 😁

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s the weed you smell.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            True they do have some good things on the menu, the yogurt parfaits come to mind.

I'm a biscotti freak.
          Dunk that bad boy in a good hot cup of black coffee and bring me a dozen more of those babies..
          ​​​My wife makes some bad a** cranberry biscotti!

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Bad A** ???
            not sure what your are trying to say.

Hey where else can ya pull up in yer veehickle, smile, order a chocolate frippy frappy with caramel covered berries & swipe yer phone & feel like ya really done somethin. Then drink yer camouflaged sody pop. Yessir, I will accept a black vesuviuos or whatever out of politeness. Payin em money, nope.

Comment

I don't care for much of their in-store stuff, but we buy their Verona (dark roast) coffee from Sam's for brewing at home. It is the best dark I've ever tasted. Has ruined me for ever getting gas station or McD's coffee ever again unless it's an emergency. Edit: we also love their Verona as a pour-over in store, so rich and dark but not burnt tasting.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Love the Verona and Kenya in a French press. French and house blend in the drip machine.

• BloomHybrid
              BloomHybrid commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here I buy and make at home. I grind and brew in my French press. I like to change up what I get but I actually have the Verona right enjoying it as I type this.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here