Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What To Do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What To Do

Maid washed all the seasoning out of my favorite coffee cup...should I fire her?
    Attached Files

Don't despair, now, Brother; still appears to be some flavour remainin, locked in at approximately between 1200, to 1430...I'd keep em on, an illustrate why one should not include my Beloved Coffee Cup in their Daily Duties, if so desired...lol
    Lovin dat cup, btw, Brother! OooohRahhh!

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      glad SOMEONE understands, lol

Thank her and give her a raise

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen.

I always rinse my own immediately after (or when I get up) I'm done and put it away. That issue in my house has been eliminated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3394.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	703662

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the correct answer! Tell him what he just won, Huskee!

Forget the stinking coffee cup, you have a maid?

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. No, we have a couple of maids that come every week. At the missus request. Who am I to tell her "no"...

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Brother texastweeter, suffer NO taunts on this subject! You’re on the right path. We have a cleaning service come through every other week too. The girlfriend and I are both busy with careers through the week and put in a lot of hours.

The way I see it, paying the cleaning ladies to do the stuff I DONT wanna do, leaves me more free time to do the stuff I DO wanna do with my precious free time.

Like barbecue. 😃🙌

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Additionally, it’s financially responsible when I do the math. 😇

If... the cost of the cleaning service is less than the number of hours it takes me to clean the house x (my hourly wage x 1.5) since I’d be cleaning it on the weekend, which is overtime pay... then it’s money well spent for something I don’t want to monkey with anyway. 👍

I’m fortunate enough that when I do that math, it’s not even close. I’d be willing to wager that if more folks did the math, they’d come to the same answer.

That cup had a lot of miles on it, but not as many as my one at work. The one at work is actually probably my favorite. She is so dark she looks like black iron, and can make even that office break room swill taste acceptable. Had it been that one, heads would have rolled. Appriceate you calmin me down brother, as I am known to fly off the handle when such egregious acts of terrororism are performed in my domicile. Mr. Bones I have even converted my oldest boy (13) over to the seasoned steel coffee cup and away from those disposable chain coffee companies.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Likeys, Brother!

For those wondering,

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, we don't even wanna talk bout th receipt fer coffee, (Lifer Juice), when I was in th Nav...
      Good stuff...

I cut this from an article don't want to be accused of plagerism

The origin of not washing your coffee cup stems from the age when coffee cups were made of metal. An example can be still be seen with the Italian practice of seasoning a moka pot. When a metal coffee container (moka pot or coffee cup) is new/washed, the coffee takes on a metallic flavor. Once the container has been used once or twice, the oils from the coffee seal the internal surface preventing the metallic flavor from tainting the brew. (Many Italians believe that a new moka pot is not usable until several pots of coffee have been brewed and dumped out first)

It is easy to imagine the evolution from practical process to tradition by thinking of the time of transition from metal to ceramic coffee mugs. The young service members who had not used metal coffee cups would be used to washing them, while the old senior leadership would still be in the habit of not washing them and probably had developed a taste for it (hence swearing that it tastes better when the mug is "seasoned").

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	442B0F16-72D5-48A4-A5BE-56EFE4FB422C.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	703754 I haven’t washed this one in 3 years, does that pass the Tweeter taste test?

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        yup, have several that way. Be sure to check under the rubber gasket on the lid though.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I do clean the gasket and the part I put my mouth on cuz...well it gets kind of nasty

Being from the Navy made from the best distilled water you never wash your cup. Never in the years ah' served. The coffee just tasting better. Brought that cup home and SHMBO put it in the dishwasher, coffee never tasted the same again. Now at 66, I don't even drink the stuff unless it is a very special type like Jamaica Blue Mt. or Hawaiian Kona.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        JBM is my daily drinker. Had about 6 cups so far today.

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        texastweeter a man after my own heart.

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve got some 100% Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee I got for Father’s Day that I’ve almost finished off. Fell in love with that stuff when I visited Jamaica last year.

Had this about 7 years. Bought at a dinner in Milton VT. where my son and family used to live. Use it every day. Rinsed with water only.

​

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        no pic buddy

Lets be honest here. This forum would endorse seasoning pretty much anything, lol. I dunno, there is something i like about filling up shiny clean mug with some thick black coffee.

Comment

Get a big black cup, like I have. This holds over 16 ounces. Seasoning doesn't show.

Attached Files

Comment

I drink strong black coffee in a ceramic mug. I had no idea that not washing your mug was a thing, I just throw it in the dishwasher. I love the taste of freshly ground, freshly brewed coffee. Seems like a "seasoned" mug would detract from the freshness, but I wouldn’t know having never tried it.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            don't knock it till you try it. Gotta use a steel mug though to get the true experience, lol.

Not washing your cup is a bit like not cleaning your pit. My wife uses bleach on mine once a week. One day she didn't rinse it properly ,(yep, felt that ). I use a french press, but keep adding fresh ground to the old each day. When it gets to full of old grounds I toss them out (about once a week) Hace had this press for nearly 8 years.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Got me smilin, up in here, Brother lol!

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Have a French press too. I would need one the size of a whiskey barrel to use it regularly. It's reserved for super pimo stuff.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here