Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee drinkers, how do you brew yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bialetti Moka Express with Cafe Bustello espresso ground coffee.

Comment

Nespresso machine. Lately I've been on a kick for their hazelnut flavored limited edition coffee.

Comment

At 70, I buy the cheapest "promise to be good and strong" k cups on Amazon. The real bummer, at 40, I still went to sleep on a cup of real coffee, now, at 70, the cheap good stuff is for early morning then constitutional, but none past about 4 pm or I'll be watching the Outer Limits on tv at 1 am. My cherissed memories of the really good coffees brewed in marvelous ways are triggered by the taste of the swill (that instant swill k cup) mixed with the good morning cigarette. Rarely, we will pull out some beans, rotary grind fine, and pull out this old one cup espresso maker, where you crank down this hand sized lid on the water chamber and following a lot of grunting sounds, espresso spews forth into the cup. Yea! Of course, for k cups, we now stock cases of various de-caf flavors (my dear wife) and the one I prefer for anytime after 4 pm to late night.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          LoL! Right with you brother. 62. One cup a day. I don't need it to help with my constitutional, yet. I've also quit those cigs. The wife is also a decaf.
          Last edited by HawkerXP; January 13, 2021, 04:53 PM.

I can't remember the last time I commented in this topic (too lazy to look). I still roll with the Starbuck's Verona (bold) for everyday brewing. Little shot of heavy whipping cream to make it caramel colored. I don't care for most Starbuck's but the wife & I LOVE Verona- very bold when brewed strong w/o being bitter and burnt. For the quick 1-cupper I still prefer the Barista Prima French Roast K-cups. Still the boldest I've found and the only one I can brew on large setting and it's not watery.

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
          ddmcwhirter commented
          Editing a comment
          Aw man, you're killing me. Now I want the Verona Starbucks Vente with two extra shots and whipped cream.

In the Before world, I always got coffee when I got to work or picked up coffee and bagels on the weekend and never made enough coffee at home to have anything more than a keurig for that one time a month I needed a cup and home and didn’t want to go outside.

now that I’ve been working from home for the better part of 10 months, I’ve upped my game. Use my long forgotten French press and bought a burr grinder (started getting fresh ground coffee but got hard to get it weekly when things shut down back in April/may so finally bought a grinder).

Now I rotate through various whole beans I buy at the various supermarkets from the smaller operations. Currently drinking a morning blend from La Colombe.

Have really dialed it in my method 200 degree water, 14 grams of water per gram of coffee, 4 minute steep and then plunge. 34 grams of coffee is my normal morning cup.

Comment

I end up using my aeropress most days. It is the easiest to use, good results. I like the french press coffee better but it is more work.

Comment

We had a family member pass away a few months ago (not COVID related). Cleaning out their home, it was discovered they had an old Rancilio Silvia espresso single boiler machine. I cleaned it up, replaced some parts, got a decent grinder, studied YouTube videos, and sacrificed a lot of coffee to figure things out. We get beans and syrup from a locally owned neighborhood coffee and tea shop. I’ve now got it down though and can brew up espresso for my spouse and I.

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a Rancilio Silvia. Amazing machine. I drink about 6 double espressos every day. Mmmmmmm.

• snowswamp
              snowswamp commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha! That’s great. We also we given a Turkish coffee pot. I can’t remember what it’s called. We haven’t given it a try yet.

I just upgraded my burr grinder to the OXO and enjoy keeping a variety of beans on hand. I usually lean towards the darker roasts, but as long as it's not decaf, I'll drink it.

Comment

I like dark roasts brewed in my French press.

My current poison is Black Rifle "Murdered Out" whole bean. It's very, very dark, but not bitter at all. It has a rich, smoky flavor. I have a small, cheap-ass manual burr grinder that grinds 4 TBS of beans, which is perfect for my daily, single 16oz cup. My backup, (for when I'm too lazy to grind), is Peet's Major Dickason blend ground. It's not quite as coarse as I'd like for the press, but it works.

Comment

Since this thread is many years old there’s a good chance I’ve already commented, but if I can’t remember what I said there a good chance none of y’all can either, so I’m sharing again! 😎

My standard brewing method is French press. We do have a drip maker at home we use when we have a crowd for breakfast, but I definitely prefer to make a couple cups at a time nice and fresh.

As for beans...I *really* want to get into roasting my own, but haven’t taken the leap yet. I have a few friends who do it and they tell me to quit stalling.

So usually I end up buying something at Costco. You can get a good quality bean for relatively low price. Folks know I love coffee, so I’m frequently gifted coffee from a local roster, or national "smaller than the big guy" brand.

Typically I like a bold roast, but I’m open to any style.

Comment

I use a French press mug for my weekday morning coffee and usually brew a pot of drip on the weekends. I recently got an Oxo burr grinder which is a huge step up from the blade grinder I had been using. I get all my coffee from a really small local roaster who has really good stuff.

Comment

After reading that several Pitmaster Club members use the AeroPress, I checked it out and bought one. I must say it does make a better cup of coffee with less acid taste and cleanup is a breeze. It is my goto coffee maker now.

If you end up getting an AeroPress I suggest viewing the Black Rifle Coffee Company video on how to brew with it. They show a slightly different method from that on the website. https://www.instagram.com/p/BKwkZNvAcjb/

Comment

We have a Jura E6 espresso machine and have a subscription to Black Rifle Coffee. Right now we have been getting the 2 mystery bags to try out the different kinds. Hubby likes black and I like froufrou mochas, so it helps that it froths milk too.

Comment

OK. Power of suggestion. Was reading this thread and had to go get a cup. Here’s my set up. Rancilio Silvia - same as snowswamp. Amazing machine. Had it for 12 years. Still going strong. Have 5 or 6 double espressos daily. It gets a workout. Also, LaColombe coffee is hands down THE best coffee I’ve ever tasted. Action shot:

Click image for larger version  Name:	04F0B43A-C26E-4319-A32A-3227F31BD94F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	984756
                        Last edited by JCBBQ; February 4, 2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                          Spinaker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wow, well aren't you fancy AF. LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210131_092539.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	984919 I just got a French Press for my birthday. Seems to be a good cup of coffee but still learning the ropes.
                        Last edited by Skip; February 4, 2021, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                          JCBBQ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Love French press coffee. My 2nd fave after espresso.

• Joetee
                          Joetee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's the same press I have. I grind about 5 tbsp of beans for a 20 once cup. I measure the water to the size of cup I'm using. Bring the water in a kettle to about 195-200 degrees, where the bubbles start forming and lifting from the bottom of the kettle. Pour water over the coffee and time it for 3 1/2 minutes, then press it down slowly. Pour in cup. Good and strong.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here