Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bulletproof Coffee recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bulletproof Coffee recipe

For those who've never heard of, or never had, a Bulletproof coffee, I though I'd share how I make mine.

Background:

Bulletproof coffee is not a brand of coffee, it's a recipe. However, the name "Bulletproof" is trademarked by its inventor, so you likely won't find Bulletproof coffee at a lot of coffee places, and not Starbucks, at least until they can find a way to sell the recipe legally. You can read more on his way of making it, and how it benefits you, here. I'm not promoting his website or the rest of the info at that link, I'm simply sharing it for crediting purposes. Keep in mind he's a business man, so he's going to talk up the best and most expensive ingredients. You don't need to do it exactly his way. So I'm sharing my way, which I got from a popular coffee shop in Traverse City, MI. Oh, and don't worry about his warning to use unsalted butter or your coffee will be salty. This is simply not true. We've been using salted butter, and we've done a side by side, and the salted is NOT "salty". Besides, if you're doing a keto diet, you need extra electrolytes so the experts say, so salted butter helps with that. If you like the taste of one vs the other, then use it. Wife & I use salted.

It's extremely simple. But, if you've never heard of this, it'll likely sound 'gross', or at least 'interesting'.

Brew you favorite bold cup of coffee. It does NOT matter if it's organic beans yadayada, or if it's a K-Cup or Folgers, don't fall for the hype surrounding the need for the most expensive coffee known to man, cultivated on the moon and inspected by the Praetorian Guard, all that nonsense.

Ingredients:
    • 8oz of your favorite coffee (bold works best to hold up to the additions. If you can't tolerate bold coffee, use what you like best.)
    • 1 Tbsp grass-fed butter. --Yep, you read that right, BUTTER in your coffee. Trust me.
    • 1 Tbsp MCT Oil. (MCT Oil is a refined coconut oil, it stands for Medium-Chain Triglyceride oil). It is NOT regular coconut oil. It has no taste at all.

Steps:
    • Add the butter & oil to your cup when you brew it, or when you pour it. If pouring in the cup, give it a minute to allow the butter to melt. Blend well with a stick blender a.k.a immersion blender, until well mixed & slightly frothy (about 10 seconds or so). That's it!

Important:
    • If you've never heard of grass-fed butter, most supermarkets carry it. Kerrygold is a popular one in the US, Irish Butter imported from Ireland. There are others. The package will specifically say if it's grass fed. This is supposedly important for molecular reasons and purity.
    • Try to find grass fed butter, don't just use your regular butter from the butter dish..although I have in a pinch and it tastes fine.
    • Don't use margarine! Don't use regular coconut oil! This is NOT the same stuff and will not result in a pleasant cup of coffee any more than using a bologna loaf will make a nice prime rib dinner. Get the real stuff or don't do it!
    • Don't worry about using unsalted grass fed butter, I use the regular salted and it's NOT "salty".
    • Don't add anything else (half & half, sugar, flavored creamers, etc) A true Bulletproof has health benefits (so they claim) resulting from its unique combination of ingredients, and should be enjoyed with only these 3 ingredients
    • Don't use a foam cup! It can melt.
    • Don't overdo the MCT oil. In fact, you may wish to start with half the amount, 1-1.5 tsp, it can affect your belly until you're used to it. It can go right through you, and not in the traditional way.

Why I love these:

This makes the richest, fullest cup of coffee ever. The combination of the butter & oil makes a nice rich mouthfeel and can get addicting. And the health benefits (so the experts say) are exponentially better than traditional coffee. MCT oil is a brain food. This recipe is a high fat, zero carb (as long as you make it as described and don't add sugar or half & half) punch of energy and brain power.

Personally I usually make mine with 1/2 Tbsp butter, simply to keep the calories down if I plan to have a couple cups, or if it's an 'office' day. If I have an active day planned I use the full amount.

+1. It is a good cup of joe.

Comment

What else is this MCT oil good for? Can you use it for cooking? If it's so good for you might be nice to use it in other ways as well.
      Last edited by Frozen Smoke; December 5, 2018, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        MCT oil in the bottle isn't recommended for cooking with, as in frying (besides it'd be WAY too expensive), but you can use regular coconut oil for cooking & frying, it contains MCTs. MCT oil is meant for adding to yogurt, oatmeal, drinks, smoothies, etc.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        It is great for pre work out and on eggs and avocado in the morning. TONS of sustained fuel through out the day. I take some every day. In my coffee and at breakfast. (Weekends only breakfast)

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a very effective generator of "rumble guts" when you go too aggressively with it. Ramp slowly.

Interesting Huskee. But butter and oil have to mean a bunch of calories. One thing I don't need is more calories...

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks RonB - I pasted the wrong link. Fixed now.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Great article EdF.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB - it's pretty much the same message as ecowper 's link, which I hadn't seen.

Huskee, you have reminded me of the butter tea I used to drink in Nepal and Tibet during my sojourns there.

For most people, Tibetan butter tea — po cha — is an acquired taste, since it is salty rather than sweet, and has a completely unexpected flavor.

Comment

FWIW - this is a photo of the world’s most expensive coffee being....uhhhh....”produced”. So yea, I will stick to my Maxwell House 100% Colombian.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EE8E0E05-3B01-485E-973C-000AAD13BA0E.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	602619

Comment

• tdimond
          tdimond commented
          Editing a comment
          As I just told my wife, this coffee must taste like s***!

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I wonder if anyone has figured out how to ferment the beans without it passing through the guts of a civet.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe instead of force-feeding coffee cherries to civets they could use a natural sun dried process or washed process. Someone should try that and see if it works.

I do bullet proof coffee every now and then, but with coconut oil instead of MCT oil. I know, I know I'm supposed to go with 100% pure extra virgin cold pressed organic veagan super food MCT oil, but I always have coconut oil on hand (it's great for high heat cooking). I find that the caffeine "effect" seems to last longer.

Mornings that I have normal coffee on my way to work? Reaching for another cup by 9:30-ish. Bullet Proof coffee? Not until almost 11.

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          The oils suppress your appetite longer, keeping you feeling satisfied. The couple extra calories also keep you fueled. It's magic...

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          MCT oil is generally processed coconut oil. If you were eating something like lazy paleo, coconut oil would be in, and MCT should be out.

I had forgotten about this recipe. So named in that it's tests the imbiber's bulletproof constitution.

Here's an alternative unsalted Irish Butter that I can attest is decadent rich, although Kerrygold is a solid choice. I like Greenfield's a bit more.

Name:	Irish Butter.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	602935

And, it may be that the secret is out...

Name:	zinger.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	602936

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, we have that butter too, thanks for post I couldn't remember what it was called. I think it costs 10 cents more or so, but it's same stuff = just as good.

Huskee thanks for the recipe! I tried this after reading some of your posts and I do enjoy it on the weekends.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
          Pirate Scott commented
          Editing a comment
          JGo37 my time machine is a 1975 Superbeetle powered by Fish Guts and Dead Bait! Not as slick as Doc’s Delorian but it gets you there and back just the same.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Fish guts is dead bait. I save/freeze trout guts all winter and use them in late spring to catch channels. After all - the cats are living on rainbows dying in the warm pools once water hits 60F.

People can't figure out how I pull out cats on slow days. I don't tell 'em...

• Pirate Scott
          Pirate Scott commented
          Editing a comment
          JGo37 yup dead bait definitely works.

Sounds most interesting Huskee. Really going to have to try this. This might be a pick me up that I’ve needed.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
          Sounds most interesting Huskee. Really going to have to try this. This might be a pick me up that I’ve needed.
          Hope you like. If you're ever in central MI stop in and I'll whip us up one. Give me notice and I'll have a brisket on the cooker.

A gal I work with was explaining this to me a year ago. First thing I said was "butter, in coffee?? Yuck." And she said that's what she first thought too. When I described it to my wife when I got home, she said the same thing. And now when we describe it to others we get that same reply from everyone we tell. Anyway, we've been just over a year of making only Bulletproof coffees at home. Now a regular cuppajoe is thin and weak. If we want more coffee but a BP just isn't gonna fly, we use heavy whipping cream instead of half & half. Yum!

Of course if a person likes regular coffee that's cool too, but this makes a delectable drink that still tastes just like strong coffee and not milk & caramel & pumpkin & vanilla & moon rocks.

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            We've got a cabin off Crooked Lake. I'll let you know when I'm on my way...

;o) (that was open for me too, right? - you can say 'no', really...)

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Really JGo37? I'm about 10 min from there.

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            my grill's locked in the shed... don't even think about it...
            Last edited by JGo37; December 6, 2018, 04:25 PM.

Huskee personally I like any sort of coffee that pours into my cup.

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't do Folgers. No no no no nope.

Even if you don’t add the fats, a pinch or two of salt per pot of coffee isn’t noticeable at all but cuts the bitterness without adding any sugar or calories.

So salted vs unsalted butter is probably okay.

I’d still suggest avoid bullets flying your direction though.

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            In college I worked in a truck stop café where the coffee would peel paint. Depending on who was brewing the coffee, many a pot got the trace of salt treatment. I also saw many a trucker put just a grain or two into his coffee.

Have you tried doing this for a travel mug or thermos? How long before it separates if you don’t pound it immediately?

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Every night at work. I swirl it regularly. Has become habit.

• Rfuilrez
            Rfuilrez commented
            Editing a comment
            I make it in a travel mug with a really good sealing lid. After I put it all in I shake the living crap out of it for 20-30 seconds. It emulsifies well enough to last an hour or so without having to re mix before I finish. But, being that it’s travel mug I usually swirl it a little every now and again.

So, on a Navy sub deployment when you're gone for the greater part of a year there's a tradition to never clean / wash your coffee cup until you return to home port.

It's got a purpose to it.

If you've been out 4-5 months and are out of coffee, generally just boiling hot water in your cup will render you a decent cup of well, JOE, at that point. Yum. Beats 'bug juice'. Don't ask...

Comment

• phrogpilot73
            phrogpilot73 commented
            Editing a comment
            I've only done deployments on big deck Amphibs (I was a Marine after all). Don't know how you sub guys do it...

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            phrogpilot73 I eventually wound up on Assault Craft Team 5, and stayed there. Been thru the ditch a couple times. You just can't play basketball on a sub like you can in the well of an LSD.

• phrogpilot73
            phrogpilot73 commented
            Editing a comment
            During a steel beach, they flooded the well and we fished on the LHD... Fun Times.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here