Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee Roasting and Coffee Makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marauderer
    replied
    MrSkimo commented
    Huskee - I'm offended :-) I don't think the Technivorm is ugly at all. A thing of beauty.

MrSkimo, don't be offended "One persons junk is another's treasure". I can connect the dots to what Huskee says. You being a coffee aficionado and an epicurean of fine coffees have possibly been influenced by the fine product the Technivorm makes. Therefore it is a thing of beauty to you. My engineering background make it look very utilitarian. But, my vision is clouded by my years of experiance in the engineering field. I won't say anything about how my judgement on food has changed since I went to Chiropractor's school and had to crawl through Cadavers for a year dissecting them

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    I have one of those as well I just need an upgrade.

BTW I love tailgate tables:

Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 3, 2015, 12:06 PM.

• MrSkimo
    commented on 's reply

• MrSkimo
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee - I'm offended :-) I don't think the Technivorm is ugly at all. A thing of beauty..

• Marauderer
    commented on 's reply
    I knew you would have it compartmentalized. It really sounds great. Maybe you can share a picture tour with us sometime. Sounds like the only thing you need to complete it is a roaster.

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    No just a 8x10 out building

• Marauderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
    I have the equipment to infuse, pour over, French press, Aero press, drip, perk and Moka. I think the only real hardware I'm missing is a vacuum brewer and a ibriks.

Funny I cant justify the cost of K cups start up but I'll spend stupid money on way less important stuff.

I don't mind sayin I love my Bunns for everyday ready now Joe. LOVE THEM! Then again I just love coffee. To me its like the Bedroom and BBQ. No rules.
    So Jon, do you have a separate garage just for the coffee equipment??

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    I have the equipment to infuse, pour over, French press, Aero press, drip, perk and Moka. I think the only real hardware I'm missing is a vacuum brewer and a ibriks.

Funny I cant justify the cost of K cups start up but I'll spend stupid money on way less important stuff.

I don't mind sayin I love my Bunns for everyday ready now Joe. LOVE THEM! Then again I just love coffee. To me its like the Bedroom and BBQ. No rules.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 3, 2015, 10:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    I never thought anything could get uglier and more utilitarian than the Bunn until I seen the Technivorm a few years ago. It looks like a small factory going on... The Brazen sure looks a little more sleek but it's one tall machine! I wonder if it would fit under my cupboards?

Leave a comment:

• MrSkimo
    replied
    Looks like a serious machine. Temp control and everything! You see that the article compares it to the Technivorm as well. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I have noticed a lot of similarities in coffee and BBQ. Coffe Geeks also mod their equipment, install PID's and temp control mechanisms, chop up equipment and rebuild to create new tools. Very fun!

Leave a comment:

• HC in SC
    commented on 's reply
    Me too - I have thrown in the towel and just use the Keurig with good coffee like Tully's, Green Mountain and Gevalia.

Our regular machine only comes out when we have a houseful of guests.

• Dr ROK
    replied
    I bought the wife a Brazen coffee machine after reading some reviews on Serious Eats. They are kinda pricey, but I must say it makes a damn fine cup of coffee. We are still experimenting with the bloom time, but I love this machine. The only thing I don't like about it is that it only makes 8 cups at a time .

Leave a comment:

• MrSkimo
    replied
    Mostly true... Freezing preserves both green and roasted coffee, but you don't want to store roasted coffee that you are using in the freezer. Taking it in and out of the freezer will cause condensation which can impede the quality. Its better to just keep enough roasted coffee out that you can use within a few days. Then take more out when you need it. My wife and I take a pound at a time out of the freezer. We go through that in about a week.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    I have heard if you freeze your beans after roasting it preserves the flavor but, you still need use them in a timely manner.

Leave a comment:

• MrSkimo
    replied
    You know if you want to see how good home roast/specialty roast can be - order something from Terroir Coffee/George Howell. I get some coffee from them in my Christmas stocking each year and it is always fantastic. Order a small amount whole bean (if you have a grinder) and try it out. Quite expensive, but Fantastic!

If you only have a Keurig machine right now, you can try some quality coffee with a simple pour-over cone filter on a coffee cup. You just slowly add recently boiled water and let it steep/drip into your cup. The key, like with BBQ, is quality product. You definitely want coffee that has been roasted within a few days. It degenerates pretty quickly.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here