Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee Roasting and Coffee Makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marauderer
    replied
    well, it has started. My daughter gave my wife a $50/lb of coffee ground to used in the Keurig. Wow, major quality increase in flavor. We have been so busy we haven't looked at coffee roasters. We have an old Bunn machine in the travel trailer and will bring it in to go another step towards the dark side. i will be checking out coffee grinders next. Enjoying the coffee every morning.

Leave a comment:

• ThePitt
    replied
    ^ Seconding the Sweet Maria's website recommendation. It's almost as detailed as this place is, except on coffee! I used to roast my own with a popcorn popper- that worked pretty well for me, although eventually I decided it was worth it to just order beans from a local coffee joint. Coffee is a deep, deep rabbit hole but it's seriously fun!

Leave a comment:

• MrSkimo
    replied
    Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
    Anyone have any input on the Hottop KN-8828P-2K fully programmable coffee roaster?
    Marauderer - that is a great unit. If/when my Swissmar Bravi (discontinued) breaks down that is what I plan to get. Nice machine. If you really decide to get into roasting, you need to spend some time on Sweet Maria's website. That's where the video above comes from. They are a specialty coffee retailer focused on the home roaster. They also sell the Hottop and have good reviews on the equipment.

Leave a comment:

• CopperStill
    replied
    Originally posted by Huskee View Post
    I never thought anything could get uglier and more utilitarian than the Bunn until I seen the Technivorm a few years ago. It looks like a small factory going on... The Brazen sure looks a little more sleek but it's one tall machine! I wonder if it would fit under my cupboards?
    The Technivorm Moccamaster fits under our cabinets just fine, another plus it has a copper boiler something us still folks appreciate. Made in the Netherlands and one of the few certified by the Specialty Coffee Association of America to brew at optimal temperatures. My best preference are vacuum brewers.

Leave a comment:

• CopperStill
    replied
    I have been roasting about 15 years now, using everything from air poppers (depending on batch size) to Nesco and my favorite the Gene Cafe for larger batches. My favorite green beans are Columbian, Panama and Sumatran. I even keep on hand water processed Columbian decaf which in no way taste like any decaf you may be familiar with from grocery stores. I could never go back to the dark side of canned coffee or Charbucks...har.

Have even incorporated fresh ground coffee in my rubs, give it a try!

In the brewing department I use the Technivorm and Capresso drip makers but my favorites are vacuum brewers from the 30's and later. Vacuum brewing is the ultimate for my tastes.

When storing green coffee beans use either paper or burlap bags, beans will keep very well up two years and maybe slightly longer depending on your environment. Roast enough to get you out to about four days and start another batch for the freshest coffee on hand.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    WF, does that machine do just coffee also?
    Last edited by Marauderer; February 14, 2015, 06:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    replied
    I once worked for Howard Shultz at Grantree Furniture Rental. There... He was a VP and a young up and comer. I was the VP of purchasing but he was my direct boss. Starbucks hired him when they had 28 stores... All in Seattle. His mission was to expand their territory and grow their business. He cut a deal with them where he took LOTS if options, rather than a big salary. He retired from Starbucks a very, very rich man. He now sits on many boards of directors chairs and is a financial advisor to many companies. They boy knew coffee!

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    replied
    I have a Breville Espresso Machine. It's like having a Starbuck's in your kitchen. I have a close by coffee house that roasts coffee beans daily. My coffee machine has a built in coffee grinder so you use the beans as soon as you grind them. I have learned to make Espresso's, Latte's and cappuccino's. I buy small bottles of flavoring if I want French vanilla flavor or whatever flavor sounds good. It has a built in steamer to steam milk for a latte. I also make kick ass hot chocolate for my grand kids. https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_p...s/16127887538/
    Last edited by Breadhead; February 14, 2015, 01:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    Anyone have any input on the Hottop KN-8828P-2K fully programmable coffee roaster?

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    Kcups are highly over rated and I am going to work this year to get off them.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    Huskee commented
    [COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]January 4th, 2015, 04:46 AM[/COLOR]

Barry that was my least favorite part of college. Dead guy duty.

After my day in the lab I couldn't face a spare rib for 6 mo. After that I had desensitized so my it didn't matter and I still like ribs the best.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Not meant to offend, but from your smiley face I take it I didn't really offend you did I? To me they look like the coffee maker version of the Jeep, or more properly the Humvee. I don't doubt they work mighty fine though.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Barry that was my least favorite part of college. Dead guy duty.

• MrSkimo
    commented on 's reply
    All I can tell you is that we love the Technivorm. Great machine. The plastic parts fit together a little funny, but once you figure it out it's fine. Makes great coffee!

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    I went with the Brazen after reading a lot of reviews on the technivorm and brazen. Seemed to be more unhappy customers with the technivorm than the brazen.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here