Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: The cola wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: The cola wars

If you're a cola drinker, diet or regular, which is your cola of choice?
    Pepsi
    29.03%
    Coca Cola (Coke)
    60.22%
    Another brand like RC or Faygo, etc
    10.75%

I gave up soda pop about 15 yrs ago as I have a blood sugar problem. I still every once in a while have a desire for a couple of swallows. I just like Coca Cola flavor better than the other colas.

Comment

Pretty regional, I always laugh when they try bringing Pepsi around here. I worked in the business for a while and there were interesting trends. Diet soda sells better than regular, Iowa at the time drank the least, Texas drank the most and it was mostly Dr Pepper, and Diet Coke with lime was a bust across the entire country except one place, Salt Lake City.

As a side note just about everyone who drinks Dr Pepper or Coke to a lesser extent say that they prefer it made with real cane sugar, and 100% of those asked said they could tell the difference. A double blind study by coke proved that nobody could tell the difference.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Beet sugar and cane sugar are both sucrose, but there may be a few trace ingredients that allow some people with sensitive palates to tell the difference.

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        I liked diet coke with lime. Wondered what happened with it.

It's EXTREMELY hard when doing a side by side taste test to identify similar but different things. I can easily tell the difference between coke and Pepsi, as most probably could easily do, but when my buddies did a blind taste test to me I had to taste them 3 times. I was surprised how similar they are side by side. I know someone reading this is thinking 'yeah right, it'd be easy'. Try it, it's fun! And surprisingly difficult. I bet the sugar thing would be even harder. I notice the Pepsi and Mt Dew throwback (real sugar) taste different in a good way but I imagine side side would be virtually impossible.

Comment

Good point John, if I just have a swallow of each I can't tell the difference but, if I have a glass of it after about 3-4 swallows I can start to tell. Each manufacturer spends a gazillion dollars on advertising and know how to work the taste test to their advantage

Comment

I like Coke if I'm pouring into a glass and Pepsi if I'm drinking from a bottle or can. Coke seems to have more carbonation and it's smoother poured over ice. I can't tell a lot of difference otherwise.

Comment

Coke is a client of ours. Got to stick with them.

Comment

Its dead even now between the two, but when California wakes up I suspect option 3 will rise quite a bit.

Comment

I've had RC before, John, but it always tastes flat to me.

Comment

Coke, all the way. If I have to choose Pepsi, I will choose diet. Regular Pepsi always seemed to make me feel slightly ill. Which, to me sounds impossible, but it happened enough I made the change.

Comment

I have always been a Coke drinker, whether Diet or not. Pepsi is sweeter tasting. That was the problem with New Coke - too much like Pepsi. Also don't like Coke Zero. I'm probably more of a root beer drinker and, for non-premium, Diet Barqs it is.

Comment

I mostly drink diet Pepsi when I do drink soda but I like Coke with Mr Daniels mix in it.

Comment

The Captain says coke! Also I use the soda stream with coke syrup from Sams club,I just like the taste of coke from a fountain better than a can and I don't have to mess with as many returnables.

Comment

Even before the 1st bout with urinary calculi in '95, I was not a big soft drink drinker.

If I did, it was Root Beer or Cream Soda once in a blue moon....in the bottle.
                        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 29, 2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

TMI maybe? just sayin

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                            Jerod Broussard commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Translation needed on the "TMI"

No way, I could write book on them things....
                            Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 29, 2014, 07:21 PM.

• gcdmd
                            gcdmd commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Texas Military Institute?

Just kidding. It's "too much information."

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here