Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not really a drink recipe but putting a chimney of charcoal to good use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really a drink recipe but putting a chimney of charcoal to good use

While waiting for briquettes to ash over. Roasting Sulawesi Toraja "White Eagle" beans over chimney for a great cup of joe this morning.

It's hard to beat a good cup ' joe in the morning.

Comment

Mitrakas, great idea. I've never roasted my own beans. Do you mind sharing more about the technique? Time over flame, how often to shake, stir, hold pan over flames or rest it on top of chimney? Thanks for sharing the idea. And, I'll ask the pit question everyone wants answered...what did you cook with those ashed over coals?

Comment

Mitrakas , you can't stop now. Ditto what Reds Fan 5 said!

Comment

Looks like you got to the second crack! Could you hear it well? Man now I got to roast come beans.

Comment

That is one dark roast! I've got a little perforated roasting pan I've used over my portable butane stove, but never tried a chimney of charcoal. I'll have to do that this week sometime.

There are several of us who also roast coffee. What is your main roaster?

Comment

I'd never fire up the chimney just for roasting the beans!! The coals were used for my inaugural cook with a ribolater. Made my son some buffalo chicken wings in two of the trays and filled the other two with CSA potatoes and veggies. Came out tasty. Using ribolater for ribs today. carolts I don't have a roaster, have only done it by using the cheap nonstick pan in the pic and an oven mitt over the chimney. You have to keep it constantly, and I do mean constantly, moving, flipping the beans over and over. The beans will start to pop and crack and start to chafe which blows away, and you keep going until you get to the second crack as lonnie mac says and then roast to your desired level of doneness. Its not hard at all, but you do need a really good oven mitt and you will change hands a time or two before the beans are fully roasted. The company my buddy uses for his beans is Lavanta.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here