Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Espresso Yourself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Espresso Yourself

I wasn’t sure whether to bump an older topic about espresso or create a new one but I went with the latter. Mods please feel free to redirect or otherwise manipulate this if it is redundant.

I am hoping to stimulate a discussion about espresso alone, in its many forms, flavors and types.

What form is your espresso drink? Espresso shot, latte, Americano, cappuccino, etc.

What brand of espresso maker do you have? Breville, Jura, Nespresso, etc.

Do you roast and/or grind your own beans?

Do you get your beans from a local roaster, a regional company or a larger international company? Krankie’s, Illy, Peet’s, etc.

High octane or decaf?

I drink one decaf cappuccino a day on most days but may make what I call a Drunken Toasted Marshmallow in the evening sometimes. I use Lavazza Dek decaffeinated whole beans and grind my own every morning. I have a Breville burr grinder and espresso machine that I’ve had about 4 years. I prefer the separate grinder because you have much more control over grind size than most of the ones built into the espresso machine. (There are some of my chocolate cake recipes that call for ‘espresso powder’ and I can easily make that with this grinder.) I use whole lactose-free milk because it has a natural sweetness to it that milk with lactose doesn’t. For my cappuccino, I do 2 shots of espresso and about twice the amount of steamed/frothed milk.

Don’t drink expresso, but do own a small coffee roasting company. Out of curiosity what do you pay for a pound of beans? (Real pound not a 12 ounce "pound" ) What brand do you mostly buy?

Comment

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      I use exclusively Lavazza (Torino, IT) Dek decaf whole beans. I order them from Amazon and they costs $18 for 500g or 1.1lb. Prior to that I was using the Reflections Blend from Whole Latte Love in upstate NY which is also a decaf. I purchased the 5lb bags for about $48. They stopped carrying it so I switched back to Dek.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been buying beans from Costplus World Market for years. I like the variety they offer, but usually get the Amalfi Coast, Italian or French Roast in whole bean and grind for each use. A 24oz bag is 13.99 or 14.99 I think??? Maybe cheaper, but they use to be 9.99 years back.

What is your company?

• CaptGreg
      CaptGreg commented
      Editing a comment
      not sure if I am permitted to put it up here, if I am not I apologize in advance and please remove it. www.latitude24coffee.com We roast organic, fair trade beans and do custom roasts and blends.

Your timing is good I just purchased a DeLonghi Dedica expresso machine a couple of weeks ago as it was 1/2 price.Then I started watching you tube videos to learn more and I bought a portafilter upgrade. I am enjoying my expresso and cappuccino that I make with it. I also have a Hario mini slim hand burr grinder that works well. Currently I am using 14 g of ground coffee in portafilter for a double shot it takes around 25 second for almost 100g. I have found that a little salt reduces the bitterness. I am using expresso beans from Costco that are roasted by Starbucks but once these are gone I will buy fresh roasted coffee beans locally. I am now drinking more coffee and enjoying it more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	757DE934-192E-4B8D-AAEA-B1C70D8AE279.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1299051

Comment

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      Delonghi makes great espresso machines. My son had one before he got his Breville Bambino.

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      So far I am happy with mine and there are good reviews on you tube. I have been watching Tom’s coffee corner and learning a lot. I think fresher beans will make a difference. Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

I have a Rocket Espresso R58 Cinquantotto Espresso Machine. Absolutely love it. I use Klatch espresso beans and grind them myself.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 12-28-39 Rocket Espresso R Cinquantotto Espresso Machine.png
Views:	250
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	1299056

Comment

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a badass espresso machine! I'm sure it makes great drinks.

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      I just looked that model up and it is C$4500.00 that is a serious expresso machine.

Fancy stuff...my coffee comes in 3 types, drip (14.8 g coffee beans per 8 oz water) percolator (same as drip), or campfire cowboy (1/4 cup ground to 1 quart water). Yes I grind my own, and I take it like my whisky...neat.

Comment

I don’t have the capability to make espresso at home, but I’ve been on a affogato kick lately for desert when we’re out. Dollop of vanilla gelato drowned in espresso just hits the spot.

Comment

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        If you like affogato, try this.

Pour about 1/2 cup of Patron XO into a shallow sauté pan. Heat on med-low until reduced to 1/4 original volume. Stir in a pinch of coarse salt followed by 2 tbsp of very cold unsalted butter cut into cubes. Turn off heat and allow butter to completely melt. Stir to mix. Pour over vanilla ice cream.

For the most part we do double shot americanos as our daily coffee fix, only an occasional espresso shot straight. Been using the Breville Barista Express for probably 10 years. The included grinder has a good range of adjustment for fineness and amount. I buy Lavazza Super Crema in kilo bags, usually 6-8 at a time

Comment

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        I miss Super Crema!!!! That is the best ever. Doc said I should use decaf because of some extra heart beats he detected. And I thought more was better. 🤔

I have an old Delonghi pump machine that I bought back in the 1990's when we lived in Georgia, and if I pull it out, I use my Mr. Coffee burr mill grinder (also circa 1990's) to grind some locally roasted beans. I'll take a double shot espresso, straight up, and the wife wants her milky and foamy cappuccino.

I taught my kids to use it, and my youngest, now 25, used to use the heck out of that thing in her late teens, and I got tired of grinding beans for her, and would give her a can of Cafe Bustelo just because it was pre-ground fine enough for use with the machine.

My main complaint with that machine is that while making the espresso is pretty quick, once that is done you turn off the pump, then flip a secondary heater switch to let it build up pressure for steam for frothing the milk, and that adds a minute or two to the process. Steam control is a manual valve knob on top of the machine. Oh - its also good for heating water for instant soup and noodles, haha. You can dispense through the frother using the pump, with the second heating switch off (no steam).

Anyway, now you have me thinking about espresso and Americano's and such (I am a black coffee drinker), and with the weather cooling down, I may need to pull it out from under the kitchen counter and go buy some good beans.

My daily coffee fix is a plain ole drip coffee maker. We also have a K-cup machine, but I don't drink much of that. If I want a single serving, I have a Body French-press travel mug, and a small Bodum glass press that makes about 12 ounces.

Comment

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m glad to hear the tradition has been passed to the next generation.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha WayneT yes but I did not pass on my coffee maker to her! She is on her own there!

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris The best things in life aren’t things at all, but experiences and memories of those experiences. You did well. Kept the thing and passed on the experience.

We have (2) Nespresso machines. An Essenza mini and a Virtuo plus. I just bought my daughter a Virtuo plus combo that included the frother for $150 at BB&B. About $100 off.

Comment

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a great deal. BB&B has their Breville Barista Express on sale for $600 right now. I looked at it but since my current Breville grinder and espresso maker do essentially the same things the newer one does, I decided to forgo.

post "666", just saying.

Comment

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you hear horses? Sounds like four coming this way!

Name:	Unknown.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1299985 I have a LaMarzocco Linea mini. It's my one big indulgence next to grills. I roast my own coffee using a GeneCafe and buy green Peruvian beans from Dean's Beans for about $6.50/lb. I grind using a Mignon grinder.

Comment

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        Yowsa! Now that's hard core. Beautiful espresso machine, that!

I use a Quick Mlll Vetrano EV2 with a Compak E5 grinder, for Coffee I use Atomic Intinsi And George Howel Alchemy
      They are both local roasters so I can get the coffee the day of the roast and let out gas’s to mr preference.
      Attached Files

Comment

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a great setup you have, both equipment wise and with your local roaster. Doesn't get any fresher than that.

My only real complaint with my Breville Barista Express is that it takes a long time to steam and froth my milk. It usually takes over a minute from start to finish. Anyone else with a Breville experience this? For those unfamiliar with the Breville unit, it is NOT a dual boiler machine, so no steaming/frothing while extracting.

Comment

Originally posted by WayneT View Post
      My only real complaint with my Breville Barista Express is that it takes a long time to steam and froth my milk. It usually takes over a minute from start to finish. Anyone else with a Breville experience this? For those unfamiliar with the Breville unit, it is NOT a dual boiler machine, so no steaming/frothing while extracting.
      You could try pre heating your milk or if its a pressure issue you could try steaming your milk first

Comment

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        I do the steaming and froth in one continuous action. Once I feel the milk has reached about 165F, I start slowly lowering the pitcher so that the wand tip is just below the top of the milk to froth it. I guess I could heat the milk first in the uWave to 165F then just froth with the wand. Good suggestion.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here