Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS (More Coffee…)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCS (More Coffee…)

My daily driver (Mr. Coffee) refused to power on this morning. Emergency situation guys.

I thought I should upgrade my coffee tools as you do. A quick trip to Walmart yielded me this prize.

So, now I can brew drip coffee AND iced. Fancy eh?

I will admit I did think rather fondly of ecowper while looking at all of the coffee makers. However, it was not to be this time around.

This post is brought to you by someone whose coffee has yet to kick in.

I still have to pour my hot coffee over ice to get "iced coffee" ..... that's fancy!

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      OMG, that is too easy. I do that at McDonald's. LOL.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Not a cold brew or iced coffee guy.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      my wife makes cold brew sometimes. I'm mostly a hot coffee drinker. But, in the summer, I do like a strong iced coffee once in a while

There is camp coffee. Pot, water, and coffee, in that order, heat but don't boil,

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a percolator when I'm in the woods

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper the family finally gave me the percolator I've had on my list for years for camping last Christmas. I've gotten to use it a couple of times now.

Iced coffee maker is cpl dzn $. 24 hrs n you will not believe the flavor or the punch! Use good water or even distilled water. 😳😋
    Not coffee on ice.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Cold brew and iced are two different things, don't use distilled water use filtered. Needs some dissolved minerals to get all the compounds out of the coffee that taste good.

Considering I roast, grind and pour over my coffee now, I’ve pretty much given up on auto machines.

Instead of iced I like cold brew, since it’s cold and not watered down and brewed cold is interesting flavor compared to hot brewed.

I really like this rig for cold brew.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      10.63 grams of coffee per 6oz water is my go to for drip or por over,, you?

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a 1:16 ratio which is probably the best recommendation.

I like 1:14 for my pour over and up to 1:12 for my cold brew.

I have a Keurig for guests, and my daily driver in both my home office and office office are grind and brew models. On the weekends it is either percolator or cowboy coffee.

Comment

I love my coffee, but it gives me skipped heartbeats. Now I max out at one large cup of half caf, half decaf. I tried decaf and it’s brown water with no character. Coffee needs that bitterness to be interesting.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      1/2 n 1/2, yep good choice too.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Decapitation process is rather expensive, so to keep price down most bug brands use the cheapest coffee they can get their hand on. Try going with an expensive decaf

• Carolyn
      Carolyn commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter "...decapitation process" 😆

Grumble. 4 months of use and this coffee maker is already broken. Grumble grumble.

At least I have my small batch pour over (thank you rickgregory ) that I can use in these trying times.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      I've moved to a Clever Dripper which is nice. It's an immersion method so less hands on. Basically, it's a cone filter holder with a lever at the bottom. By default, it's closed so no water drains. To use, you add water, ground coffee and let it steep for a few minutes. When you're ready, you put the Clever on top of a thermos, cup whatever and the lever gets pushed, letting the coffee drain. The nice thing abot immersion methods is that they're forgiving of the steeping time.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Video here if you're interested:

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory yeah this is the one that you pointed out for me which works great.

OXO Brew Single Serve Pour-Over Coffee Maker https://a.co/3h3JsKf

That sucks! Warranty?

Comment

That sucks. I had a 4-cup Mr Coffee for the office do that. Its replacement I discovered had a cracked carafe when I came back from the pandemic and decided to actually clean it. Since I'm only in the office a day or two a week now I just bring in k-cups and use the keurig in the breakroom.

My original 4-cup Mr Coffee lasted me over 10 years. *sigh*

Comment

Murdy Dan Deter Well, they wanted $10 for the part on a $30 coffee maker 4 months after I bought it. I didn’t feel too confident about the durability nor having to pay for the part already. So, I went back to the ol’ standby Mr. Coffee for $35 which have lasted a couple of years at least.
        Last edited by STEbbq; August 25, 2022, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I've been drinking instant coffee since 2010. Don't judge me.

Comment

OK ... so I've got a ton invested in a fancy-schmancy espresso making system ... which is basically retired since I "invested" about thirty bucks in an Aeropress. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend that you do. If you have ... then you know what I'm talkin' about ...

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              I have an OXO pour over and a Mr. Coffee now. Depending on the volume of coffee needed in any given day, we use one or the other. Works great.

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I love my Aeropress.

I have an old electric percolator the kids gave me 20 years ago. I was using a Keurig that died and decided not to replace it. I need to look into one of these because I make too much in the percolator and waste a lot of coffee.

Comment

As the only coffee drinker in the family I use a single cup ceramic pour over from Bee House. I grind up fresh home-roasted beans just before I brew up my cup of coffee.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here