Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More coffee roasting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More coffee roasting!

Click image for larger version  Name:	9170DEEA-1F28-4A97-AA7E-AE3E97A6698E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.48 MB ID:	1185408 Click image for larger version  Name:	C1CF4D53-ADD0-44CB-A2FC-A9599DF95F07.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.92 MB ID:	1185409 It took a couple of tries but I’m getting this coffee roasting down! I am by no means a coffee snob but this is a fun hobby and absolutely blows store bought coffee away imho…. Here are my pics of today’s roast to show anyone interested why this is a good outside project, also it smokes a lot and doesn’t smell good.
    So far I have found that letting the roasted beans sit for about 6 days gives it a much better flavor than if you grind it the next day.
    I’m still working on the coffee to water ratio, and figuring out the best way to brew it for my taste.
    My French press makes a great cup of joe but is a bit to strong and not as smooth and velvety in textures as I want, my drip coffee maker does a great job but planning on trying pour over soon.
    Happy roasting!!!
    Last edited by marshall; March 6, 2022, 11:33 AM.

Think about getting some foil bags with one way valve for storing after roasting, similar to these. https://www.roastmasters.com/foil_bags.html Protects the beans and allows the gas to be vented.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice, thanks ! Ordering now!

If haven't seen it yet, the Captain's Coffee website has a great tutorial on pour over coffee brewing. It features the Bee House ceramic pour over device (I use this for my morning cup of coffee).

A Primer on Pour Over Coffee In-Depth Beginner's Guide to Pour Overs ft. Bee House Dripper The Recipe used in the video is: Ingredients: 32g coffee (about 3 rounded tablespoons) 500g Water 204 degrees F (17 ounces) Melitta #4 filter Directions Grind coffee medium fine (~4.5/10) Fold filter along finished edges and plac

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      I have not seen that, thank you! Will check that out later today

This is something I'd like to do, much like about 1000 other wonderful things found in the pit. Making coffee would definitely come with perks though.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty inexpensive to get started, 30$ air popper and some beans!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Took a look at pricing for a coffee roaster and some are really big bucks.
      Checked out air poppers (popcorn popper) and the pricing is doable. Looks like you using a similar gadget (popcorn popper). Here's a link to same site different detail as Richard above posted .https://thecaptainscoffee.com/pages/...popcorn-popper
      Is this the process you doing?

holehogg - I ordered this, https://www.sweetmarias.com/popper.html which is an air popper but modifed/built for roasting coffee. It's $89 so if you get into the hobby at all it's going to pay for itself quickly and if you want to go bigger etc you can. Read the comments and other posts they have about it - great info there.

marshall and, well, all... https://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/ is a community of coffee GEEKs. I mean, those people are super serious about best ways to brew etc. They're also really welcoming.
    Last edited by rickgregory; March 6, 2022, 12:41 PM.

Comment

You might also consider an Aeropress.

Comment

holehogg yes sir same process, I bought a 30$ Orville redenbacher pop corn air popper, I haven’t used a scale or thermometer yet, just throw the unroasted beans in and listen for the first and second crack….

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool. I do have an infrared thermometer.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here