Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Chocolate, a Vintage Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Chocolate, a Vintage Recipe

Simple, easy, good. My mom and aunts used to make it up and give it away in mason jars during the holidays.

11 oz. container of Coffee Mate
    8 qt. (25.6 oz.) container of powdered milk
    1 lb box of powdered sugar
    1 lb container of Nestle Quick

Combine all and mix well. Add 1/4 cup to a cup of hot water (or make it richer with 1 cup of hot milk).
    Last edited by 58limited; February 4, 2022, 10:17 PM.

Boy, that ones going right to a fellers hips....I'm in....
    We go thru hot chocolate like crazy this time of year, tins of Carnation powdered or, blah, Tim Horton's powdered.
    Guess its mostly sugar too so why not your recipe.

Comment

No marshmallows? Blasphemy!

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm a whipping cream man personally

As an experiment try sprinkling a little salt in the hot chocolate after pouring in the mug. Really does improve the drink.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        May have to give that a try.
        Fill mug 3/4 with hot chocolate, and salt, add marshmallows, add whipped cream, add a dusting of cocoa powder.
        Omit PBR back, sorry to disappoint. My Bad.

They still sell powdered milk?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Still usin up Stockpiles from WWII, LOL!

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        My parents tried the powdered milk thing on us as kids....armed rebellion....man it was terrible at least the crap they brought was

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Powdered Milk comes from powdered cows, I think.
        When the cow goes dry, maybe.

I made an error in the recipe, corrected above: 8 qt. (25.6 oz.) container of powdered milk - not 8 oz.

Comment

Some Whipped Cream Vodka might go good in it as well...nothing like a boozy hot chocolate

Comment

And a bit of schnapps to warm the old bones, that's the ticket!

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahhhh…,Snipper Snapper!! We need to partake in some in April !!!

I was craving Cocoa the other day when it got down to about 25° David. Where were you then when I needed you?

Comment

Coffee is often used as a flavor enhancer for chocolate, it is great in Hot Chocolate. You can add instant or brewed strong coffee. Just play with the amount added so the coffee flavor is not really noticed. Cinnamon is another great add in.

Comment

I have used Alton Browns recipe with the cayenne with great success too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here