Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love it when this happens (coffee)....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love it when this happens (coffee)....

I make my coffee the same way every day.

I've long since abandoned my "coffee snob" days of college (wow, I really paid top dollar regularly for Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee....that was a great use of my student loans.....still paying off that coffee!!!), and use just a standard drip Mr. Coffee maker.

I use pre-ground coffee.....not the ultra cheap stuff, but not the crazy stuff either. I do half-caf and half-decaf.

Every once in awhile, all of the atoms and forces of the universe align and the coffee just comes out spectacular -- temperature, strength, flavor. Wow that was a good cup! Love it when that happens!

I'm with you on the current setup of coffee. Mine might even be 'cheaper'. I use an Amazon Basics 5-cup drip coffeemaker, and whatever pre-ground coffee is on sale at Costco. Either Folgers or Kirkland Select.

It's generally adequate, but like you say, sometimes the "The Force" is with you, and it turns out fantastic.

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you meant "flavourably". 😀

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones the wise old sage. Impressive observations not only on the subject matter but projecting into a life lesson as well. Bravo sir !!!

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones, your thoughts are magnificent. My coffee this morning, was average at best.

Pretty much the same at our house. We like our coffee!

Comment

I am still in the snob phase. I grind my own beans - I don't roast them though (yet). I was using a Keurig, but it died and I use an old electric percolator my kids gave me years ago. I turn my nose up at Maxwell House lol - I do like Folgers Black Silk though. That is about the only pre ground I'll buy. I like Eight O'Clock whole bean too. Maybe I am not as big a snob as I make myself out to be

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I've always enjoyed Eight O'Clock, ground or whole bean.

• lostclusters
        lostclusters commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 Folgers Black Silk

There's 2 types of coffee the wife & I buy, and we've settled on that over many years of experimenting. I don't like to say one of the brand's names because it is associated with strong opinions and stereotypes, but we find the one particular roast level to be our sweet spot and we love it to pieces. We stopped grinding our own though, the benefit to work ratio wasn't there for us personally.

We take our coffee pot on trips quite often, if reasonable to do so, if not then at least our coffee to use in hotel rooms that have their own maker. I don't think of myself as a coffee snob but I'd rather just not have any at all instead of suffer with gas station or hotel lobby coffee. I watched a diner person put in 3 scoops for a full pot on a Bunn. Dark water is all that is. Maybe that's "American coffee" and maybe makes me a certain level of snob, oh well.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. My FIL loved his weak coffee from his Bunn. His son, my BIL, still prefers his weak like that too. I just can't do it. To me it's like skim milk, I'd rather just not drink it at all cuz to me it ain't real! We have a Ninja coffee pot, and it has a Rich setting which brews really slowly, we use that and love it. jfmorris

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee I am using a fairly cheap Mr. Coffee right now that has a "strong" setting that slows things down during the brew, and I've been pleased with that. I may move up to a Ninja or something fancy if/when the Mr. Coffee dies.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris Really they all just sprinkle hot water over coffee grounds, I think most are created equal. Except Bunns.

I love coffee. I usually drink Black Rifle Coffee or Caribou and brew it at home.

I have been making home made cold press for the last year and I love that stuff. Especially when you put the coffee in a whipping siphon and make a cold press Nitro. its like a Guinness in the morning with out all the flack and judgy comments.

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Please share the process with the whipping siphon. Guinness coffee sounds great!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        All those words make it sound good w/o having even tried it yet.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You simply pour the coffee into your whipping siphon, add the nitro cartridge. (Some take two) Then add a little water, shake it up for about 30 seconds and let it sit in the Siphon for 3-5 mins. then let it rip! it is awesome. It can be a little foamy and you do need to let it sit sometimes, just like real Guinness, but it is awesome. Old Glory

I'm only a snob when it comes to 'cue and coffee. I find that I get consistently good results with the "good stuff," so I just stick with it. Also, I drink one 16 oz. mug of coffee each morning, then I'm done for the day. I'm not going to risk having a whole day's worth of coffee be a big disappointment.

Comment

• Argoboy
        Argoboy commented
        Editing a comment
        I also drink one strong 12 Oz cup of expresso coffe in the morning and that is it for the day. I buy French roast ground coffee.

I like good Coffee, good BBQ, good beer, and good whiskey.

I use pre ground coffee but it is fresh roasted from an online service. Trade Coffee https://www.drinktrade.com/return/my-subscription got sucked in by Sam The Cooking Guy. Has been pretty good.

This guy is the ultimate Coffee Snob https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Yn...7sR37D-qtwAGne looks like old Harry Potter.

Comment

Agreed, I try to get the first cup if I can. I add heavy cream to mine. And when it hits, it is perfection.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Heavy whipping cream here too.

I like it black and hot. I am talking about my first cup in the morning. Anything else is just a coffee concoction.
        Coffee like a good bourbon should be neat, sipped, and enjoyed.
        And That is the Truth.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll bet you sneak a little PBR into that morning brew, don’t you? Come on fess up !!!

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Not until afternoon. Because of SWMBO of 47 years.

I’m a bit of a coffee snob but I got no problem with gas station coffee if that’s all that’s available. I use a French press mug and just have the one mug each morning, except on weekends when I usually make a pot of drip coffee. I get my beans from a small local roaster who has a great product. I actually prefer it to Blue Mountain and Kona coffee that I’ve gotten. I use a burr grinder which is very convenient. It takes 10 minutes to clean it once a week.

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          Wait. I've had my burr grinder two or three years. What is this "cleaning"? The hopper holds a full bag of Kauai Medium Roast whole bean--the only coffee I buy these days. We visited their plantation long ago and so I feel a connection along with really liking the coffee, which I can get at Publix.

But like Michael, the output of the grinder goes into a cheap Mr. Coffee drip maker.

Bunn home brew 10 cup machine, Folgers gourmet supreme. I add 1 shake of salt to the ground coffee before brewing. Drink it year round. 3 mugs in the summer. More in cold weather.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Salt, really. Is this for flavor or another reason? Never heard of this.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Salt is definitely a thing, Huskee. If you have coffee that is on the bitter side, a shake of salt into the coffee grounds before brewing fixes that.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R. Makes sense. When we first started making bulletproof coffees we used salted butter and someone once said you should use unsalted, so we tried it and we actually prefer the salted. I think I like bitter coffee though, never noticed it to be a problem.

Yes. To all of the above & more.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you drink my dad's instant up there, I don't remember what you did for coffee.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee , sure did. Kept me from opening my new jar. I am not partickilar.

I used to be a coffee snob, I roasted my own, ordered from Sweet Maria’s. Then my cardiologist told me to stop the caffeine, so I started drinking decaf, which is colored water. Now I get ground decaf.

But yes, you are absolutely correct.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t talk to my doc about coffee & he doen’t ask.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          It started with me seeing him about an abnormal heart rhythm. Less coffee helped, a lot!

I don’t know, Mama gets up at 4:30am and makes it. French roast something or other. Grinds whole beans. By the time I stumble to it with my Yeti I’m just glad the pot hasn’t turned off yet and it’s still hot !!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here