Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant coffee has come a long way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instant coffee has come a long way.

My coffee maker stopped working Sunday. I ordered a new one, which is coming today, but in the meantime I needed something to fill the gap. My daughter had bought some Nescafé the last time she was here, so I used that with some microwaved water.

You know what? Not half bad. Much better than I remember, and WAY better than those wretched Keurig cups, which are awful. I’m not going to make it a regular thing, but it is an acceptable emergency substitute.
    Last edited by Mosca; April 1, 2021, 09:04 AM.

I agree! The Starbucks VIA are quite good.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      We used to find those on sale at the bargain shops and I'd take lots of those camping, they really are good for what they are.

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the Starbucks VIA. I take those on my motorcycle and backpacking trips.

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee Same. Go-to for camping when I don't want to lug the equipment!

We use instant coffee to "spike" Cold brew coffee in the summer time. Mosca your post brings back memories from my childhood. My Parents made real coffee for breakfast with boiling water and an enamel coffee pot and then for dinner and supper it was always instant.
    Last edited by Skip; April 1, 2021, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I've heard good things about Nescafe. My dad has drank only Maxwell House Instant since I was a baby, he won't drink anything else. It's not great at all but he prefers it.

Me, I have something similar to this. Basically a handheld version of the basket in your coffee maker, with a round base to fit over a mug nicely. Even if the power's out I can brew coffee as long as I can heat up water. I take this camping and brew my own while everyone stirs up their Maxwell House Instant I've over at the table brewing real coffee. I highly recommend this little guy:

Coleman stove + teapot + this = coffee as good as any electric brewer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	handheld coffee brewer 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	21.2 KB ID:	1011687

Comment

• RustyHaines
        RustyHaines commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. The go to for me when outdoors too.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        During my single years living alone, that was my go-to, too. In fact, being a card-carrying pack rat, I still have a couple of them stashed away.

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        I make my coffee in one of those every day. My preferred coffee is French Roast.

Got turned onto a Korean instant coffee one deployment. The stuff is actually really good! You can get a 100 pack on Amazon for like 20 bucks, but we were getting it shipped in from Korea for MUCH cheaper. Maxim Mocha Gold is what it was called I believe.

Comment

• Rocinante
        Rocinante commented
        Editing a comment
        I spent some time in Seoul and Daegu for work several years ago and all that seemed to be made was instant. It was very good, from what I recall.

I enjoy Nescafe Gold. I use 2 1/2 heaped teaspoons.

Comment

When I was in Malaysia they had this drink that is a mixture of Nescafé and Milo (think similar to Nesquick) that roadside stands sold as iced drinks. Those things hit the spot of many a hot, balmy mornings. I wouldn’t recommend them every day but for weekends/holidays it is a great treat.

Comment

Yup, I do Nescafé cuz it’s instant whilst I’m waitin fer my other stuff to get there, yessir.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            That explains your eyes in your avatar...

I agree with your two statements:
          1) Keurig is crap.
          2) Instant has improved.

Started doing pour over coffee a few weeks ago. It’s been a bit therapeutic - taking the time to weigh the coffee and water so I have the same ratio every time has been a nice way to relax (believe it or not!) while also brewing a better cup of coffee!

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            I was given a top of the Keurig a couple of years ago. I got rid of it after a month.

I do enjoy a cup or two of instant coffee. It does bring back memories of spending time with my father which always included a cup of Chase Sanborn instant coffee.

Comment

If you want to up your instant coffee, you need to find European brands. I have been drinking

And it's the best I have had even mixed with water.

Comment

• RustyHaines
              RustyHaines commented
              Editing a comment
              STEbbq, does this have creamer and sugar already added?

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Milk and sugar.

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Kava used to sponsor Paul Harvey. Their big selling point was that it was de-acidified.

The cone is the way to go.

Comment

I like to distract myself when having instant coffee
              Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm loving that birthday candle. My 4 year old granddaughter would go nutz for that.

K.

Is there such a thing as to much coffee? trying to figure out why when I drink coffee I seem to feel groggy and run down and like I could pass out standing up. I drink it basically non stop at work and its not immediate that the fatigue sets in just coffee is the only thing that I have regularly at work.

Is there such thing as to much?
              Should I cut it out completely?
              I found some kind of "explanation" but I'm not sure that's the case
              Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 4, 2021, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Drink water instead. And, why the link to a site with numerous Amazon affiliate links?

• spoink47
                spoink47 commented
                Editing a comment
                just a website I found. Is it bad?

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here