Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mint Juleps for a crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mint Juleps for a crowd

The mint julep. No cocktail is more simple - mint, simple syrup, bourbon, and ice. And while I enjoy an authentic julep more than the next guy, when it comes to a crowd, I like things to be simple, easy, and DIY (meaning, fix it yourself, I’m busy). I know I might be reinventing the wheel here, but this is how I like to make mint juleps for a crowd while keeping it as fresh and authentic as possible...

First, make a mint syrup:

1 1/2 cups water
    1 1/2 cups raw cane sugar
    1/2 cup demerara sugar
    ** Just a quick note - cane sugar and Demerara sugar are more course than white sugar (and more flavorful if you ask me). If you want to use regular white sugar, go right ahead, but I’d probably just go with 1 1/2 cups to make a simple syrup.

In a saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the water until syrup is clear, stirring regularly, and without boiling. Next, take your saucepan off the heat and add 1 1/2 cups loosely packed mint leaves (give them a little slap in bunches to release the oils), give it a gentle stir, cover with a lid and let it steep for 30 minutes to an hour (or until you have the mint flavor you are looking for). Strain the syrup, discarding the mint, and bottle.

For the ice: Mint juleps require small nugget-like ice that you can almost make a snow-cone with. You can use a blender, Lewis bag, or one of those hand crank ice grinding gadgets... but that’s a lot of work if you are planning for a crowd. My solution - if you have a Sonic nearby, they sell a 10-pound bag of their nugget-ice for around $2.50. Perfect for mint juleps.

For the mint julep:

2 oz of bourbon of your choice
    1 oz mint syrup

Put bourbon and syrup in cup (I use copper mule cups because I just like them better because they have a handle). Fill cup halfway with nugget ice, then mix using a bar spoon or what ever you have on hand to make it slushy and start the dilution. Add more ice and do it again. Then top off with ice to make it look like a snow cone. Cut you a nice bushy sprig of mint and gently stab it into the ice. Serve with one of those stainless straw spoons so you can mix as you sip. Enjoy!
    Last edited by ColonialDawg; April 22, 2019, 09:55 AM.

Wow. Interesting..

Comment

Hmm, bet that simple syrup would work well for mojitos too. Thanks for sharing, got me thinking...

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Great minds CaptainMike , great minds...

• ColonialDawg
        ColonialDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Exceptional minds.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Mmm...mojito!!

We've been talking about "smoke overload" syndrome in this thread and what to do about it. In addition to a shower to wash the smoke and sweat off, a nice mint julep like yours might be the perfect antidote to cleanse the nose and palate. Sounds delectable!

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Or to take a shower in mint juleps.

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Um, nooooo, FireMan -- that would be too much of a good thing for me! But I'll send ya some menthol-peppermint soap if you're feeling lucky!

ColonialDawg Thank you for sharing. I will have to show this recipe to my wife as it sounds very similar to the one she uses. BTW - These are very tasty and if you drink them like I did the first time my wife made them for me, the hot browns come in handy.

Comment

This is great I’m going to have to try it, my cousin throws a Kentucky Derby party every year and uses the pre-mixed mint julep stuff from the liquor store and my god the hangovers are brutal.

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          That's where the hot browns come into play.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190424_144814.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	669658

Comment

Good tip about Sonic! For those that don’t have one close by, how do you feel about the "crushed ice" setting some folks have on their fridge door ice dispenser?

Comment

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that will work fine in a pinch.

Originally posted by Santamarina View Post
          Good tip about Sonic! For those that don’t have one close by, how do you feel about the "crushed ice" setting some folks have on their fridge door ice dispenser?
          It's ... very ... very ... slow. Instead, you might check out pretty much any liquor store. They always seem to have bagged ice on hand.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here