Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bloody Mary Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody Mary Mix

2 cups Spicy V-8 Juice 1-cup tomato juice
    ½ cup lemon juice 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    12 drops Hot Pepper sauce 4 tsp. Horseradish (coarse)
    ½ tsp. Black Pepper Vodka (or gin)
    Lime Wedges Celery Stalk Green Olives Cocktail Onions

Place all ingredients, except liquor, limes, celery, olives and onions in a 1-quart
    glass jar with a tight lid. Shake well to mix. Taste and adjust lemon juice and
    seasoning as desired.
    Store in frig. For up to one week.

To serve: Fill an 8-oz. Glass with ice cubes. Add shot or two of vodka (gin) and
    fill with mix.
    Stir to mix well. Garnish with lime wedges, celery sticks, green olives, and onions

Serves 4

Note: To keep drinks at full strength while keeping them cold, freeze the tomato
    juice
    into cubes and use these in the Bloody Marys.

Comment

I’m enjoying one right now and I was wondering if there was a thread where people shared their take on this great drink. Lo and behold...

Pint glass 2/3 full of ice
      5 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
      5 shakes of fish sauce - it’s really not that much since the hole is pretty small
      hot sauce to taste, I usually have tapatio or cholula laying around
      5.5 oz can of spicy V8
      splash of pickle juice, about a teaspoon of I had to guess
      couple shakes of celery salt
      top with vodka

pour back and forth between pint glasses a few times to mix well. I rotate pretty regularly with the pickled garnishes: Pickles, green beans, asparagus, Brussels sprouts. I switch up the stuffing of the green olives a lot too. Right now I just cracked open the anchovy stuffed but pimento, garlic, jalapeño and blue cheese are all good options Adding a beef or venison stick looks cool but it doesn’t really do much for the flavor one way or the other.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Pickle juice is the key in mine. Never tried fish sauce.

It’s funny, the only twist I put on my bloody mary is gin. I’m a Zing Zang kid of guy with Gin. And pickled okra, has to be spicy pickled okra. 😋
      Last edited by au4stree; March 7, 2021, 07:02 PM.

Comment

The Attjack Bloody Mary recipe
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16115186100200.jpg Views:	6 Size:	7.67 MB ID:	1000694

2 oz Vodka
        .75 oz lime juice
        .75 oz pickle juice
        2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
        1 squirt Sriracha
        2 pinches celery salt
        4 grinds pepper
        3 oz tomato juice

Last edited by Attjack; March 7, 2021, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that looks like a meal on a glass, the first course anyways

Seeing as this thread has been revived...here’s mine.

5lbs of juicy ripe tomatoes - Yes, 5 lbs. If adequate tomatoes cannot be found, substitute with canned San Marzano tomatoes...you’ll need 4 cups once puréed.)
        1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
        1 Tbs kosher salt
        Freshly ground pepper, to taste
        1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (I’ve been known to grill the citrus, so that’s an option.)
        1/4 cup fresh lime juice
        1 Tbs Tabasco, plus more to taste (I generally prefer Tapatio or other Mexican leaning sauces, but Tabasco is found everywhere.)
        1 Tbs prepared horseradish, plus more to taste
        1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
        1 Tbs celery salt
        1 tsp freshly ground pepper, or to taste
        1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
        1/2 Tbs Maryland spice mix or Old Bay
        3-4 dashes of angostura bitters
        Ice cubes as needed
        8 oz vodka

Directions:
        To prepare roasted tomato juice, preheat oven/grill to 425°. If using a grill, this will need to be indirect heat. (Now isn’t the time to go crazy with smoke IMO...the goal is for those great tomatoes to shine.)

Line a baking sheet with foil.

Cut the tomatoes in half and place into a large bowl. Add the olive oil, salt & pepper. Toss to coat well.

Arrange the tomatoes, cut side down, on the prepared baking sheet and transfer to the oven/grill.
        Roast until the tomatoes are broken down and the skins are shriveled. About 45 minutes.

Let the tomatoes cool, then carefully pull off the skins. Those can be discarded.

Transfer the tomatoes, and any accumulated juice, to a blender and purée until,smooth.
        You should have about 6 cups of roasted tomato juice. You will need 4 cups for this recipe. Make a couple more or refrigerate the rest for something else.

In a pitcher, combine 4 cups of roasted tomato juice (or 4 cups puréed San Marzano tomatoes), the lemon & lime juices, the Tabasco (or favourite hot sauce), the horseradish, the Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, salt & pepper to taste, the spice mix, and finally, the bitters,

Stir until well combined.Taste and adjust as needed. Add more hot sauce or horseradish if it needs more heat.

Getting closer...

Fill 4 pint glasses with ice and add 2 oz of vodka to each.
        Pour enough Bloody Mary mix into each glass to fill, stirring well to combine.
        Sit back and enjoy what may just be the best Bloody Mary you’ve ever tasted.

The original recipe for this was from Susan Goin, chef/owner at the, sadly now gone, Hungry Cat restaurant.
        The first time I had them was at the Hungry Cat in Hollywood. No idea how many I had that day... A friend was pitching a book idea and the publisher/agent just kept them rolling in. LOL I got the recipe from her and have been making them, or slight variations, since.

Comment

• grillinglousiana
          grillinglousiana commented
          Editing a comment
          i like that idea..i will grill the tomatoes/and some lemons /limes/ on the griddle some thick cut wrights bacon/and cowboy candy with pickled oakra/and green beans..

My recipe pre-pandemic:
        1. Go to nearest bar
        2. Order a Bloody Mary
        3. Ask that they add dash of pickle juice if not already standard there.
        4. Order pint of PBR as a chaser.
        5. Enjoy.
        😬

Comment

Some great ideas and recipes for on iconic drink. I have been to a few restaurants (closer to diners) that have a mix your own Bloody Mary Bar. Tomato juice, vodka, all kinds of hot sauces, various spices and lots of different add-ons - celery, pickle spears, olives even bacon.

I grew up in a border town - Niagara Falls NY. Going into Canada (pre 911) was a normal thing on weekends.
          In Canada, they are proud of their "version" - the Ceasar Cocktail aka Canadian Bloody Mary.

The main difference - they use Clamato juice instead of pure Tomato juice and most always rim the glass with lime and celery salt. Every other thing is the same!

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            The Ceasar is a great drink. I used to make them until I developed my recipe. I feel like the pickle juice adds what's missing if you don't use clamato.

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Kincaid’s in Redondo Beach, has a GREAT Bloody Mary bar. (Or at least they did...haven’t been for a while given the circumstances.)

FWIW, they also have locations in Burlingame, CA and Bloomington & St. Paul, MN.
            But as they’re part of Restaurants Unlimited...they may have similar offerings at their other brand locations.
            Last edited by surfdog; July 4, 2021, 01:51 PM. Reason: Typo

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here