Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hirshon Aviation Cocktail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hirshon Aviation Cocktail

https://www.thefooddictator.com/hirs...tion-cocktail/

Or for those who prefer not click through:
    THE HIRSHON AVIATION COCKTAIL

January 10, 2015 by The Generalissimo
    aviation
    Image Used Under Creative Commons License From www.liquor.com

By dictatorial fiat, today is cocktail day here at TFD!

Citizens, I am especially fond of classic cocktails, especially ones that have sadly gone out of favor for one reason or another. The Aviation is one such example that deserves your thoughtful consideration.

As noted on Wikipedia – the Aviation is a classic cocktail made with gin, maraschino liqueur (this Marasca cherry liqueur has been made in Padova, Italy since 1821), crème de violette (which is made from Queen Charlotte and March violet flowers from the Alps) and lemon juice. It is served straight up, in a chilled cocktail glass.

The Aviation was created by Hugo Ensslin, the head bartender at the Hotel Wallick in New York, in the early twentieth century. The first published recipe for the drink appeared in Ensslin’s 1916 Recipes for Mixed Drinks. Ensslin’s recipe called for 1½ oz. El Bart gin, ¾ oz. lemon juice, 2 dashes maraschino liqueur, and 2 dashes crème de violette, a violet liqueur which gives the cocktail its signature pale sky-blue color. After the sole source for crème de violette stopped producing it in the mid 20-th century, the cocktail disappeared until a few years ago when a new company started producing it again using the original recipe.

Here is my eclectic variation of the classic, with specific recommendations on my preferred liquor brands for this particular drink. I’ve imparted a bit more complexity through the use of lime juice instead of lemon and the stirring with a rosemary branch to enhance the herbal qualities of the gin. The rosemary, juniper, herb and violet aromas in my version will provide a convincing olfactory illusion that you yourself are enjoying this cocktail in the springtime Italian Alps! 🙂

Battle on – The Generalissimo

2 ounce(s) Hendricks gin
    3/8 ounce(s) Luxardo maraschino liqueur – buy from here.
    ¾ ounce(s) fresh lime juice (my eccentricity here – original recipe calls for lemon)
    3/8 ounce(s) Rothman & Winter Crème de Violette violet liqueur – buy it here.
    1 rosemary sprig (again, a JH eccentricity)
    1 or 2 marasca cherries – get them from here.

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add all of the ingredients and shake until chilled. Strain the drink into a vey cold chilled coupe glass, stir 8 times to the left and 4 times to the right with the rosemary sprig, discard and garnish with a marasca cherry or 2.

I'm sure after a couple of these one would certainly be off into the wild blue yonder!

Comment

I have an Aviation at the Bar vintage sign with a biplane on it - one of my favorites. It's not up right now (we're moving) or I would have picled. (that's pic - loaded).

Comment

I should definitely try this old school recipe! To be honest, Aviation gin is my weakness. Usually I Just pour some gin into a glass filled with ice, top with tonic water and stir it gently. If you want, you can garnish it with a cinnamon stick or some orange peel for a fancy look, but I prefer to keep it simple. Anyway, the Hirshon Aviation cocktail has to be more flavorful. I heard that it's one of the top 10 most popular cocktails, so it has to be on my list. Anyway, what other iconic cocktails have you tried to do at home?
        Last edited by MelanieButler; April 1, 2021, 07:36 AM.

Comment

This cocktail is in regular rotation at my house.

Comment

I may have to give it a try, even though it is not PBR.

Comment

Great drink. Never done it with lime.

For those trying it the first time... don't use a London Dry here. The juniper works alright but you really want something like Hendricks that uses a more modern American set of aromatics. Aviation Gin works too, shockingly.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here