Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hirshon Undisputed Martini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hirshon Undisputed Martini

From my blog at www.thefooddictator.com

Citizens, Martini making is truly a study in alcohol alchemy! Practiced in secret chambers by apprentice mixologists, who watch in rapt attention as the hoary elder brews forth – via mystic conjurings and secret ritual – the long-sought Aqua Vitae…

Martini artists (and it IS an art-form) can come to fisticuffs over the proper amount of vermouth, shaken vs. stirred martinis and the proper phase of the moon that influences the best martini.

The Martini is a cocktail made with gin and vermouth, and garnished with an olive or a lemon twist. Over the years, the Martini has become one of the best-known mixed alcoholic beverages. H. L. Mencken called the Martini "the only American invention as perfect as the sonnet" and E. B. White called it "the elixir of quietude".

A dry Martini is made with dry, white vermouth. By the Roaring Twenties, it became common to ask for them. Over the course of the century, the amount of vermouth steadily dropped. During the 1930s the ratio was 3:1, and during the 1940s the ratio was 4:1. During the latter part of the 20th century, 6:1, 8:1, 12:1, 15:1 (the "Montgomery"), or even 50:1 or 100:1 Martinis became considered the norm.

A dirty Martini contains a splash of olive brine or olive juice and is typically garnished with an olive, While a perfect Martini uses equal amounts of sweet and dry vermouth.

Some Martinis were prepared by filling a cocktail glass with gin, then rubbing a finger of vermouth along the rim. There are those who advocated the elimination of vermouth altogether. According to Noël Coward, "A perfect Martini should be made by filling a glass with gin, then waving it in the general direction of Italy," Italy being a major producer of vermouth.

There are a number of variations on the traditional Martini. The fictional spy James Bond sometimes asked for his vodka Martinis to be "shaken, not stirred," following Harry Craddock’s The Savoy Cocktail Book (1930), which prescribes shaking for all its Martini recipes. The proper name for a shaken Martini is a Bradford. However, Somerset Maugham is often quoted as saying that "a Martini should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously on top of one another."

One theory suggests the Martini evolved from a cocktail called the Martinez served sometime in the early 1860s at the Occidental Hotel in San Francisco, which people frequented before taking an evening ferry to the nearby town of Martinez. Another theory links the first dry martini to the name of a bartender who concocted the drink at the Knickerbocker Hotel in New York City in 1911 or 1912.

What follows is my eccentric and exacting recipe for the perfect, undisputed martini – at least for TFD’s personal taste and hopefully my Citizens as well!

Battle on – The Generalissimo

The Hirshon Undisputed Martini (ALWAYS with a capital ‘M’) is made with 2 ounces of Hendricks gin (I love its notes of cucumber, herbs and a hint of rose!) and 1 ounce of Bombay Sapphire gin per Martini – this provides the perfect blend of nose and flavor.

Of course, you should only use ice made from water which has been filtered using a reverse osmosis filtration process, which enables you to remove virtually all the chemicals and minerals from your probably heinous tap water. Or, just use ice made from distilled water or your favorite bottled water, if you’re so inclined.

The ingredients should then be placed in a chilled, two-part steel and glass shaker which has been stored in a freezer, and shaken 20 times with the right hand, while opening freezer and removing ice-cold Martini glasses with the left hand (the perfect martini glass should be paper-thin crystal, by the way).

Grab an atomizer you’ve pre-filled with 75% Noilly Pratt dry vermouth and 25 percent Cointreau. Hold the atomizer 4 inches above and 6 inches away from glasses. Use 3 atomizer blasts per martini glass.

Spear 3 (not one, not two – I said three) halves of pitted Castelvetrano olives (I believe these are the best martini olives around) with wooden toothpicks, one skewer per glass. These olives are large and by cutting them in half, they become "normal" size and infuse the Martini with their flavor.

Place one skewer each into frozen Martini glasses. Strain the gin into its icy Winter Palace (i.e. the chilled Martini Glass) and allow it to exchange pleasantries briefly with its rowdy, but aromatic associates – stir 12 times. Not 11. not 13. 12. Then sip slowly with good friends, soft lighting and listening to the best classic jazz in your music collection.

You had me at Hendrick's, my favorite gin. I prefer Cinzano Dry Vermouth, but the Cointreau is very interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

Comment

• Jhirshon
      Jhirshon commented
      Editing a comment
      My pleasure, sir!

My two favorite gins. Hadn't thought of blending them. Anyway that formula looks great. Thanks!

Comment

You're very welcome, sir!

Comment

Nice writeup, Jhirshon . You've made me properly thirsty. I wonder if I can sneak one in before having to start cooking supper...

Kathryn

Comment

• Jhirshon
          Jhirshon commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

You need to step up your game. I was recently at a hipster bar in Portland, and they were using liquid nitrogen to chill down their martini glasses.

Comment

I am a vodka Martini man but you have inspired me to try a Gin Martini.

Comment

Missed this first time around. Thanks for bumping. Love martinis but never thought of blending the gin. Usually use Hendricks or Tanquery 10 for the gin. Love a pickled onion in there with the olives.

Comment

I miss TFD. I see his website is still active. I wonder what caused him to quit posting here? If I recall correctly, he seemed disappointed about his departure.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                I was thinking the same thing. I know some thought his purple prose was a bit over the top, but I really enjoyed it. Some recipes were pretty unique ingredient-wise, but we liked the ones we could do with what we could find. Maybe he felt he didn't "fit in", and that would be a shame.

Yeah. Jhirshon had some really interesting recipes. I miss his posts as well.

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Half the time I couldn’t find all the ingredients he listed but I enjoyed the extra knowledge he gave about a recipe and the recipes of his I could cook.

Got some Bombay Sapphire, got to get some Hendricks. I love a good martini.

Comment

Im a big fan of a hendricks martini with a splash of st germain and cucumber garnish. Jhirshon gotta try your blend though, sounds delish

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here