Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whiskey and rum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flavorsavor
    replied
    It makes my belly smile to see the cocktails section on a smoking forum, and in the first post two of my favorite summer bev's. I had a very similar experience to yours with my first mojito, though it was at an outdoor bar in Coronado, CA I think.. my first herb garden was just many mint plants solely purposed to satisfy my mojito/julep desires.
    Last edited by Flavorsavor; July 14, 2014, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BigJim
    replied
    Unfortunately, if you use ice, they have a pesky way of diluting the alcohol! But the mint and simple syrup get stronger and keep making the drink taste good long after most of the alcohol is gone.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by BigJim View Post
    It is one of the few drinks that actually gets better as you drink it. !
    Lol, Jim I thought that was all whiskey drinks

Leave a comment:

• BigJim
    started a topic Whiskey and rum

Whiskey and rum

A few years ago I traveled to Miami and had my first Mojito. It was the first time in my life that a cocktail was a life changing experience. BUT be careful, few bars outside of Miami know how to make a good Mojito. Fresh, real ingredients are necessary. Mint leaves, limes, simple syrup and good rum cannot be substituted with mixes and/or alternates. I've seen bars use granulated sugar, lemon/lime soda or lime juice instead of the real things to horrible results. The quality of the restaurant is not a guarantee. But the Mojito is the ideal summer cocktail and is a great intro to a BBQ dinner. It is one of the few drinks that actually gets better as you drink it. The sugars, mint and rum concentrate as the ice melts and remain flavorful to he last sip. Once I successfully duplicated the Mojito at home, I attempted to perfect another drink associated with summer: the mint Julep. Similar in nature to the Mojito it also requires fresh ingredients and no substitutions. I've used Jim Beam white label and Makers Mark successfully, but be warned, the Mint Julep is mostly whiskey and gets pricey real quick. You can go through an entire bottle in only a couple of rounds if you have a half dozen guests. Both drinks are great on hot days on the deck in front of the BBQ or smoker. Imbibe with care!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here