Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cocktails for the weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cocktails for the weekend?

I have a few worthy candidates this week. Last night I made a batch of grenadine so I want to make at least one cocktail using that. I'm also wanting to make a couple of quintessential classic cocktails.

Grenadine
    • Pom juice 1 cup
    • Sugar 2 cups
    • Pom molasses 1 tablespoon
    • Orange blossom water 10-15 drops

Heat the ingredients in a medium saucepan until the sugar has fully dissolved. Let cool and transfer to a dispensing vessel.
    The grenadine cocktails in consideration are as follows.

Presidente
    • 1 1/2 ounces light rum
    • 1/2 ounce dry vermouth
    • 1/2 ounce Cointreau
    • 1/2 ounce lemon juice
    • 1 dash grenadine
    Floridita
    • 1 1/2 ounces rum
    • 1/2 ounce lime juice
    • 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth
    • 1/8 ounce white crème de cacao
    • 1/8 ounce grenadine
    The classic cocktails in consideration are as follows.

Manhattan
    • 2 ounces rye whiskey
    • 1 ounce sweet vermouth
    • 2 dashes Angostura bitters
    • 1 dash orange bitters

Martinez
    • 1 1/2 ounces gin
    • 1 1/2 ounces sweet vermouth
    • 1/4 ounce Luxardo maraschino liqueur
    Dry Martini
    • 2 1/2 ounces gin
    • 1/2 ounce dry vermouth
    • 1 dash orange bitters

Are you making any cocktails this weekend? What will they be?
    Last edited by Attjack; June 10, 2022, 12:21 PM.

Manhattan Fan myself, for some reason, we always use Canadian Whiskey.

Comment

Momhattan for me

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that a particular twist to the Momhattan I should be aware of?

• MsTwiggy
      MsTwiggy commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack Momhattan has 3 oz of Whiskey, everything else is the same

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Mother knows best.

I see a Martinez in my future this weekend. Haven’t had that before, but looks good. Also, an Old Fashioned might get mixed in!

and, I’ll spin off of your martini and make a dirty dirty martini for the wife. She’s already said that it’s been a week and she’s looking forward to a cocktail!

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      The Martinez is both an old variation of the Manhattan and the precursor of the modern Martini. I'm curious what you will think of it. My girlfriend has also had a week as this is her last day teaching (with kids anyway) for the year.

I love Manhattans and agree with the use of rye.

Being I also saw a martini on your list - one drink I really enjoy is a Smoky Martini.

2 1/2 oz of gin
    1/4 oz of a scotch
    Lemon twist

I like using Laphroaig but realize its a strong taste for many - I think a Compass Box blend or a Monkey Shoulder would be good and more reasonably priced options. Tonight I'll probably stick with a classic martini, always with a twist

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      For some reason, I don't have any scotch on the shelf but I do have a very nice peated Irish whiskey. Maybe I'll give it a try. That is a strong one.

Last edited by Attjack; June 10, 2022, 02:09 PM.

Excellent candidates! I have Jack's baseball game tonight so I was planning on smuggling in a beer. Cocktails tomorrow for sure!

I vote Floridita and Martinez

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't want to get you into more trouble than you are already planning to get into but cocktails are easy to smuggle in given that water bottles are a common accessory these days.

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack I took your advice and made a shaker bottle of margaritas. Brought ice and an insulated mug. Loaded everything into a small cooler. As luck would have it the Mayor sat next to us. I felt like I was sitting next to the principal. I didn't sneak a drink...lol.

With the summer heat here in full force I like a cold refreshing Tanqueray gin and tonic with a lime twist. I use a three parts tonic water to one part gin mixture over ice. I like adding just a few drops of lime juice along with the twist of lime zest. They are clean and refreshing.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Brother, your speaking my language, Tangueray and Canada Dry Tonic, Schweppes in a pinch, in a glass jammed with ice. Wedge of lime.
      Mothers milk!

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack Your looking for a good Canadian Whiskey, here's my picks
      40 Creek Confederation Oak
      JP Wiser's 18 year old Reserve
      Crown Royal Northern Harvest
      Crown Royal Black
      Gooderham & Worts
      Gibson's 12 Year Finest
      Keep in mind Canadian Whiskeys are rye whiskeys and you get what you pay for.
      These are upper tier, not cheap up here probably less expensive all things considered in your neck of the woods.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      smokin fool thanks, I appreciate the recommendations. I'll pick one of this up next time I'm at the liquor store.

Attjack knows what I'm making tonight...

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I now have everything I need to make it so I'll be mixing one up today.

Hmm, nothing in here at all that mentions….fence. Maybe I can help.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Son of a...

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      😂😂

Presidente

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220610_172934.jpg Views:	51 Size:	76.6 KB ID:	1234981
    • 1 1/2 ounces light rum
    • 1/2 ounce dry vermouth
    • 1/2 ounce Cointreau
    • 1/2 ounce lemon juice
    • 1 dash grenadine
    Garnish: Orange twist Shake with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.

Not too sweet, light, fruity, well balanced.
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

Last edited by Attjack; June 13, 2022, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Outstanding as usual

Just tried Michter's Small Batch Rye for the 1st time.. chillin out on the patio w/.Old Fashioned

Comment

Sometimes simple is best, I'm voting for the Dry Martini.
      No cocktails this weekend, my daughters moving out tomorrow and of course I have to drive the damn truck.
      I drove trucks all my life, I don't wanna drive trucks anymore, why is it I get pigeon-holed into these truck driving jobs.....
      ....I'm done....
      Sunday afternoon I'll take a stab at something.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Drive carefully there are people out there drinking cocktails.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Aren't there though.
        Will do, thank you

No Martinez for me - I thought I had all ingredients, but I didn’t. So, first up is a Manhattan. Nice change from the Old Fashion. But the Old Fashion will follow this up later!

Cheers all! And I’ve been enjoying your Friday Cocktail posts, Attjack! Thanks for starting these up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	F6E112EA-921B-40BD-834E-E887A1F28A26.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1235006

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220610_181419.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1235013

Martinez
        • 1 1/2 ounces gin
        • 1 1/2 ounces sweet vermouth
        • 1/4 ounce Luxardo maraschino liqueur

Add the gin, sweet vermouth, maraschino liqueur and bitters into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled.
        Strain into a chilled coupe glass.

Garnish with an orange twist.

⭐⭐⭐.5/5

Moscow Mule
        • 2 ounces vodka
        • 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
        • 3 ounces ginger beer, chilled

Garnish: lime wheel

Fill a Moscow Mule mug (or highball glass) with ice, then add the vodka and lime juice.

Top with the ginger beer.

Garnish with a lime wheel.

⭐⭐⭐.5/5

Comment

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          I prefer a Kentucky mule (sub burbon for vodka & add a couple splashes of bitters). In fact...

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          The girlfriend requested the Mule and wanted it made with Diet Cock n Bull which is a pretty good choice.

I’m gonna hafta try the first two…
        The Manhattan is on regular rotation around these parts…as is the 5:1 martini, sans the bitters.
        But I’m not a fan of the Martinez. At least the ones that I’ve had in the past.
        My GF likes dirty martinis. Filthy actually. I call them swamp water or pond scum. Bleh

Another variation on the martini worth a look is the Vesper… (AKA the James Bond martini)
        3 oz gin
        1 oz vodka
        1/2 Lillet Blanc, or dry vermouth. Originally made with Kina Lillet, but that’s no longer available. And then Lillet Blanc dropped the quinine back in the 80s, so it’s noticeably sweeter without that quinine pop. So your favourite dry will do.
        1 lemon peel for garnish. A proper twist is best IMO, spritzing those oils onto the drink.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here