Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekly Cocktail Thread: A funny thing happened at the liquor store.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly Cocktail Thread: A funny thing happened at the liquor store.

First my funny story. I just made a run to the liquor store and there were 2 clerks checking customers out. I was there first and a woman, who looked pretty rough, came in with a little dog in her arms. She told the man, "I need a pint of some kind of vodka." Apparently, the man at the store understood completely and immediately reached below the counter and produced a cheap pint of vodka. The woman then pulled out a small stack of 1's and her dog promptly puked all over the money. The man pointed out that the dog just puked on the money and grabbed a roll of paper towels for her. The woman apologized and did her best to clean the vomit off the money. The end.

Now for the cocktail portion of this thread. Among other things at the liquor store, I bought a bottle of Mezcal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ci-mezcal-union-c58df0f78619bd7a.png?auto=format%2Ccompress&ch=Width%2CDPR&fm=jpg&q=20.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1231062
    So I'm going to make a Mezcal Negroni tonight.

Mezcal Negroni
    • 1 oz Mezcal
    • 1 oz Campari
    • 1 oz red vermouth
    • 2 dashed chocolate bitter
    • Garnish: orange peel

My question for you is what else should I make this weekend? Perhaps a sidecar? The Bee's Knees? Something else?

The dog had obviously already tied one on and she's still buying it cheap booze....

Comment

Classy Dame! LOL

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Dame? Really? That’s gotta stop. Broads hate that.

• MsTwiggy
        MsTwiggy commented
        Editing a comment
        Just don't call me ma'am please
        Last edited by MsTwiggy; July 6, 2022, 02:18 PM.

You know the vodka's bad when the dog pukes at the sight of it.

Mental note- always use hand sanitizer after handling money anywhere.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        .😂.

That's a pretty decent mezcal. I've got a bottle.... and I could make something with it... hmmm

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        LMK what you make.

Mezcal Paloma

Name:	IMG_3569.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1231141

3 oz fresh grapefruit juice
      2 oz mezcal
      3/4 oz Simple Syrup
      Club Soda

Shake juice, syrup, and Mezcal with ice. Strain into highball glass. Top with Club Soda.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        That's now on my short list. I love Palomas but I've never made one with Mezcal.

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks good. And certainly sounds better than a Negroni. IMO, pretty much anything sounds better than a drink with Campari. Not a fan.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, I can do Campari once every 3-4 years and I've had my fill.

maybe make a naked and famous? if im remembering right, it also has aperol in it which i believe you posted about recently

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a good one. I made one for the weekly cocktail thread a couple of weeks ago.

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol. Thats probably where i remember the aperol from. Did not remember the cocktail though

So I asked for mezcal advice at the liquor store and was given several recommendations. One was the Union pictured above. However, I apparently actually purchased the one pictured below! Wahaka Mezcal. I guess the dog puking may have affected my brain.

Name:	20220603_172309.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1231177

Mezcal Negroni

Name:	20220603_173420.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1231176 ​​​​
      • 1 oz Mezcal
      • 1 oz Campari
      • 1 oz red vermouth
      • 2 dashed chocolate bitter
      • Garnish: orange peel

Combine Mezcal, Campari, red vermouth, and chocolate bitters over ice in a mixing glass and stir. Strain over ice in a rocks glass.
      Garnish with an orange peel.

Comment

• MsTwiggy
        MsTwiggy commented
        Editing a comment
        It's made in Oaxaca but they labeled it Wahaca 😂 Kind of a weird appropriation of the Huichol art on the bottle but I guess it's ok because they are Oaxacan!?

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        MsTwiggy made by Oaxacans for gringos?

• MsTwiggy
        MsTwiggy commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack exactly! They have a low expectations for those consuming their product.

That cannot be real Mezcal, no warm at the bottom.
      Cerveza: Spanish for PBR

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        They only had 1 with a worm... the cheapest one.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        You're talking my kind, warm and all.

My girlfriend wanted to try this Savory Gin Cocktail with Cynar and Beet Juice.

Name:	20220603_203728.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1231245

Name:	20220603_203007.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1231244

Unfortunately, we weren't impressed.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha! I like beets, but as a drink???? Hmmmm. But hey, nice presentation! 😂

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly We used to have this great Indianish restaurant near us the made a delicious beet cocktail. After that place caught on fire it never reopened. After reminiscing about that drink we bought some beet juice and tried to replicate it. Now we have a lot beet juice to use. The copy cat drink we made was better than this one from online.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        The new plan is to make a beet syrup to soften the earthiness of the beet juice.

I have never liked tequila or mezcal contrary to an infamous video that surfaced Cinco de mayo here years ago. My wife loves both though. Honestly I do like much if any clear or near clear honchos other than shine. I like my hooch like I like my women, light brown, firey, and full bodied.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I put tequila above whiskey although I also consider them seasonal drinks. Tequila is best in the warm months and whiskey warms up the cold nights. I very rarely buy Blanco tequila.

Originally posted by Old Glory View Post
      Mezcal Paloma

Name:	IMG_3569.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1231141

3 oz fresh grapefruit juice
      2 oz mezcal
      3/4 oz Simple Syrup
      Club Soda

Shake juice, syrup, and Mezcal with ice. Strain into highball glass. Top with Club Soda.
      Very nice. I will say however that the drink filled up the entire glass before I could top with soda water. So I drank it down a bit and then added the water.

Name:	20220604_161136.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1231560

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great! I had do do the same, though I held some back in shaker topped with soda then drank up some cocktail to make room.

Dog puking like that? He just needed a little of the old "hair of the dog that bit ya" and he would have been right as rain.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here