Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cocktail Recipe: Huskee's Tom Collins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cocktail Recipe: Huskee's Tom Collins

I call this my recipe because I tweaked the amounts to my liking after trying many of the millions of different recipes. Then I made 3 and taste tested. Then I tweaked the amounts to my personal taste. Plus, I actually measure the club soda whereas most recipes simply call for a splash, or a 'top-off' of club soda. To me that's bad instruction, since too much will dilute your drink (like when you order one at a restaurant) and too little won't give you the refreshing fizz. It's gotta be right every time!

Huskee's Tom Collins

2.5 oz. dry gin (90+ proof is best here)
    *3/4+ oz. of a 2:1 simple syrup. *use a heavy 3/4 oz, almost, but not quite, 1 oz.
    3/4 oz. fresh lemon juice.
    3 oz. aka 3/8 Cup (yes, measure it) club soda

Shake gin, simple syrup and lemon juice in a shaker with ice until well chilled.
    Pour mix including ice into rocks or highball glass. You can strain and pour over new ice if that's your preference.
    Top with 3 oz (3/8 C) club soda.
    Garnish with coiled lemon peel or lemon wedge.
    Serve with straw.
    Enjoy on a warm day.

Glad to know that I’m not the only nutcase to measure stuff like club soda! LOL

But you are absolutely correct, get it right and they’re perfect…get it wrong and it’s meh at best. Like most bars serve them.

I have friends that used to laugh at my measuring everything. Two things stopped the laughter… First, they finally tasted a properly made cocktail. Second, they didn’t like the ones they ordered out nearly as much or didn’t have the same at home because whoever was mixing just dumped it all together…with zero consistency of course.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly, high five! We need to measure things that matter- like salt on our steak or brisket, right? Some things don't matter, like how much ketchup on your burger or how big of a garnish in your cocktail- who cares. But in a recipe the ingredients matter very much and should be precise for the best experience and consistency.

While I prefer GnT I won’t turn my nose up at a good Collins either.
    And you both bring up the cardinal rule of Bartending 101. Always measure your shots, first rule of mixology.
    Punting works in football and home renovations not mixing a perfect cocktail.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen brother! Although I'm of the opposite fold, I prefer a Collins over a GnT, to each their own and drink on & party on my friend!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here