Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend of April 29: Which cocktail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend of April 29: Which cocktail?

This weekend snuck up on me so I'm still brainstorming. My girlfriend suggested using apricot liqueur. Although I'm not a rum fan I am considering The Periodista. I have plenty of rum on the shelf for some reason.

The Periodista
    • 1 1/2 ounces rum (see notes for style)
    • 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
    • 1/4 ounce apricot liqueur
    • 1/4 ounce Cointreau
    • 1 teaspoon simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water, dissolved)
    Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake well until chilled, about 10 seconds. Strain into chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime wedge, if desired.

As always I'm open to other suggestions whether they use apricot liqueur or not.

[looking in notes for style of rum]

Comment

While we were still in bed this morning my girlfriend asked what cocktail I would make today. I told her I wanted to make an Aviation but that we were out of Creme De Violette. Both of us thought we had some but I had searched last weekend. That's when the apricot liqueur was suggested because it's made by the same company. However, I found the bottle of Creme De Violette. It was right there on the top shelf in the front of the rum. Anyway, now the tentative plan is the make both the Creme De Violette and the Periodista this weekend.

Aviation
    • 2 ounces gin
    • 1/2 ounce maraschino liqueur
    • 1/4 ounce creme de violette
    • 3/4 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
    • Garnish: brandied cherry

Add the gin, maraschino liqueur, creme de violette and lemon juice to a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
    Strain into a cocktail glass.
    Garnish with a brandied cherry.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife and I had a similar conversation this morning in bed. "Did we drink Metamucil or Mirilax last week?"

The Aviation
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220429_153843~2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1213987

Comment

The Periodista

It's good!

Name:	20220429_162442.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1214000

Comment

I put two shots of Evan Williams Bottled in Bond in a glass and added a single craftisinal ice cube. That is the extent of my mixology.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          simple but effective

I made a Mai Tai and a Bermuda Yacht Club both were tasty tiki drinks.

That Aviation is on my list

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you buy or make the falernum?

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought both the Oregat and Falernum. I make my own simple syrup, raspberry syrup, strawberry syrup, and fresh squeeze the juices.

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          As I start learning about drinks most of them (at least what I have been making) are variations of each other. In various ratios sour juice, sweet syrup and or liqueur, and booze. Especially sours and daisies.

Old Glory A good Mai Tai really is delicious.

Name:	20220430_193309~3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	1214550
        Last edited by Attjack; April 30, 2022, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Good choice on the Appleton Estate rum! I had some Appletons in Jamaica, that they don’t export, that was good enough to sip neat. That’s the only rum I’ve had that I enjoyed sipping.

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great! My recipe did not call for orange juice but I think it would be an improvement.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Mai Tai

1 oz (2 tablespoons) dark rum
          1 oz (2 tablespoons) aged rum
          2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
          ½ oz (1 tablespoon) Cointreau or triple sec
          1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
          1 teaspoon orgeat syrup or 1 drop pure almond extract
          1 teaspoon superfine granulated sugar
          Dash of grenadine
          Garnish: an orange slice

Shake all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with 1 cup ice cubes, then strain into an old-fashioned glass filled with ice cubes.
          Last edited by Attjack; May 1, 2022, 09:55 AM.

My evening cocktail was half a martini. . .hubby and I split it because I didn't have the right glassware handy. With kids I'm not wanting to bust out the stemware yet. It was a delight to have an old standard back in the mix. Maybe next time i'll have a glass big enough to properly enjoy the whole thing - and nicer presentation
        Attached Files

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I love a good martini. I like a 2oz gin martini, 3/4 oz of dry vermouth, and 2 dashes if orange bitters. Garnish is an orange peel or olives if I'm hungry 🍸

I think I have scant Hendricks left to try at least one that way. If you only had cardamom, lavender, or Angostura bitters which would you use? I'll have to go olive on this one. Cheers 🍸

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I would probably not use bitters and express a lemon peel over the drink and use that to garnish as well.

Attjack late to try a martini the way you
        like it, i had exactly 2.5 oz of gin left. . . Cheers! 🍸🐿
        Attached Files

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, what's the verdict? And is that little car a Vesper?

Delicious, I may veer back to gin martini's. . . It's a BMW M4. I didn't have an Aston Martin on hand

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here