Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend Cocktail Update:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend Cocktail Update:

Suddenly, where I'm at, Spring is in the air (at least for this weekend). So the cocktail I'm leaning towards is a classic. As always, I'm open to suggestions.

Sidecar
    2 ounces brandy
    1 ounce Cointreau
    1/2 ounce lemon juice

Shake with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.

Love a sidecar. Very dangerous bc they go down so easily.

Comment

No suggestions here, But that sidecar sounds good. Sounds in a similar vein to an old fashioned if bourbon and simple syrup were used instead of Brandy.

Story if anyone cares- I got taken pretty good last night in my buy-a-cocktail-out experience. Ordered an Old Fashioned (against my better judgment, kinda like ordering a steak out) and it had fall spice, cinnamon & clove maybe, in the simple syrup. Yuck, not a good taste in an OF in my opinion. I also asked for extra bourbon since they're usually too sweet. I downed it because I'm not a complainer in restaurants, and they surely didn't put any extra bourbon in since it was still too sweet.

Ordered another, asked if it can be just regular, not fall spice, they said sure, and I reminded them about the extra bourbon. It wasn't much better. Too sweet still. I figured they just forgot. I got charged $11 for each OF and $8 each for extra bourbon. Spent $38 + tip on 2 bad OFs. This seals the deal that I will never order a steak in a steakhouse nor a cocktail in a steakhouse. It was my fault and my wife said I should've said something, but I hate everything about complaining in a restaurant and trying to get something taken off the bill. It's easier for me to just pay it, learn a lesson, and never forget to stay away from that place.

Comment

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        Feel like Old Fashioneds at a restaurant has like a 97% failure rate. it is far too often oversweet yet watered down bourbon with fruit salad and club soda.

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Ugh. I hate when a place makes an OF with bourbon and does the muddled orange/cherry thing. That works for a Wisconsin style brandy OF, but with whiskey it's just a gross mess. Luckily my favorite steakhouse can make both an excellent OF and an excellent steak. Ain't cheap for either, though.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I 100% agree with all comments Attjack shify mnavarre. Thankfully my wife and I went to an upper-end bar that we know we love called Low Bar (it's a basement, dimly-lit, speakeasy style place) and ordered a couple, me a smoked with 100 proof rye, and her a "Kampus" OF, with torched orange slice (and not muddled), both excellent, like we made them at home. It's nice to know places that know what they're doing still exist.

Think its a fairly nice day our here in NY - warm but not hot (at least that is the impression I get from looking out my window). Looking forward to pouring a cocktail once I hang up my last call today. Leaning towards a Boulevardier. I prefer mine (and a negroni) in a 1.5:1:1 ratio and only using rye, not bourbon.
      Last edited by shify; April 22, 2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Damn! The power of suggestion! Oh yeah, dangerous in this household bc these glasses hold doubles. 🤪🤪🤪

Click image for larger version

Name:	614590ED-9448-44A1-9EBE-41DD24C8AEE1.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1211002

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Nicely done.

Here we go.

Name:	20220422_164122.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1211026

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s really a great drink.

Sounds good, Old Crow, Triple sec and lemon juice from a squeeze bottle works for me.

Or Gentlemen Jack over ice.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          You're not wrong, my friend.

Improved Whiskey Cocktail

2 oz Whiskey - Bourbon or Rye
        1/4 oz Maraschino liqueur
        1 barspoon Simple Syrup
        2 dashes Angosuta Bitters
        2 dashes Peychaud's Bitters
        Piece of Lemon Peel
        Add all of the liquid ingredients to a mixing glass.
        Add ice and stir for 20-30 seconds.
        Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
        Express the oils from the lemon peel over the finished drink and drop in for garnish.

Name:	20220424_165122~2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1211825

Name:	20220424_165143~2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	1211826

Comment

Dudes....I don't think I can do hard liquor anymore!!!!
          Finally warm enough to want a cold beer on a hot day up here.
          Sadly it seems I've turned into a light weight, two tall boys followed by a nap was on todays agenda.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            These days a try to have just one or two cocktails. Too much sugar otherwise. Then if I continue to imbibe I switch to whiskey or tequila neat.

I'm less and less inclined to drink beer after beer now. Especially craft beer makes me feel bloated if I over do it. Light beer is easier on me. I'm now drinking one with a whiskey because I've had my 2 cocktails.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here