Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The weekend is upon us. What cocktail should I make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The weekend is upon us. What cocktail should I make?

Another Friday so another cocktail is imminent.
    I'm going to try to make it to the liquor store today since I'm missing a few key items.

As always I'm open to suggestions. Last week there were some good ones. @JCBBQ suggested the Pegu Club which is now in my repertoire:

Pegu Club
    • 1.5 oz gin
    • .75 oz curaçao
    • ​​​​​​.75 oz lime
    • 2 dashes of angostura bitters
    shake, double strain.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a Bourbon Crusta 'round about 4 or 5 o'clock.

Bourbon Crusta
    • 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
    • 1/2 ounce triple sec
    • 1/2 ounce maraschino liqueur
    • 1/2 ounce lemon juice
    • 2 dashes orange bitters
    • Garnish: Orange peel

Shake with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.

If you like a bit of spice, try an Old Pepper;
    2 oz bourbon
    3/4 oz simple syrup
    1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
    1/4 oz (or more) Crystal Hot sauce
    3 dashes (or more) Worcestershire sauce

Shake with ice.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Very interesting. It's on my list.

• Joey877
      Joey877 commented
      Editing a comment
      This sounds awesome.

Probably too late for today, but I think a Bloody Mary made with the juice from homemade, (tomato forward), Pico de gallo would be great. Ya might want to add a bit of juice from a jar of pickled jalapenos for additional kick.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      There's always tomorrow.

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      If you want to kick it up a few notches, use Tequila instead of Vodka.

Can you guys post these recipes in the Beverages > Cocktails channel?

My personal favorite is either the Old Fashioned (I know everyone has a recipe for one and I have my personal favorite one too which requires some specific rye) or if it's summer the Tom Collins. I use Beefeater gin, a good bold gin, since to me a fancier smooth gin (Bombay, for instance) is too gentle and gets lost in the mix ruining he whole point of a good Tom Collins in my opinion.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't had Angostura Peach or Cherry. Or is it a combination?

I received these as a gift recently and they are excellent.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      My bad, my peach & cherry are both Fee Brothers, but Angostura does make orange & cocoa in addition to their regular "aromatic" which most folks default to simply calling "angostura bitters". I'm not a fan of their aromatic so much, otherwise I think they are all great but I'm not a bitters expert. Cool on the Woodford ones, I seen them at the distillery gift shop when I was there back in October, didn't get 'em though. I bet they're great.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      That's interesting that you don't like Angostura that much. I buy it in the giant bottle. I see it as the gold standard. I also make my own bitters though it's been a while. I received this book as a gift years ago.

Since my cocktail of choice for the last 20 or so years has been black coffee, I ran your question through the random cocktail generator. Of the four choices, if I was so inclined, I'd go with the Adios.

Adios
    Glass :
    Main Alcohol : 1/2oz Vodka, 1/2oz Gin, 1/2oz Rum, 1/2oz Blue Curacao
    Other Alcohols : 1/2oz Tequila, 1/2oz Bacardi 151
    Mixes : 2oz Sweet and Sour, 7up
    Garnish : Lemon wedge

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a lot of stuff in that one.. rarely have I had a blue drink.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      That reminds me a lot of one I made up years ago based on the Long Island Iced Tea, except Blue Hawaiian instead of Coke, and a dash of Sprite/7up (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo.../274-neon-fizz). BTW, you add 2oz 7up also?

Number 2,,,,

Comment

Made a Negroni for the first time. Very good. Huskee mentioned Tom Collins. I think I might try one.

Posted the Negroni in another thread. Here is Mr. Collins

Attached Files
      Last edited by Old Glory; April 15, 2022, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        A negroni does sound good. The sun is shining right now but it's been pretty cold. Too cold for a Tom Collins just yet.

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack today was a perfect spring day. Started out in high 40's then hit 70. Sun was shining after a week of cloudy foggy drizzle.

Old Glory a Negroni it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220415_160928~2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1207859

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice! Is that your bar?

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Old Glory That is my little basement bar. One of my dumbest hobbies. But I still like it.

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice set up! We have a little built in serving area nowhere near as nice as your bar.

The Bourbon Crusta. If you've never had one you're missing out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220414_192900~2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1208169

Comment

Gentlemen Jackon on the rocks.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; April 16, 2022, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup. One of my faves.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here