Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Friday. Can you recommend a cocktail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Friday. Can you recommend a cocktail?

Right now I'm leaning towards a Boulevardier but I am open to suggestions.

Boulevardier
    • 1 ounce bourbon or rye whiskey
    • 1 ounce campari
    • 1 ounce sweet vermouth
    • Garnish: orange twist or cherry
    Pour ingredients into a mixing glass and fill with cracked ice. Stir well for 20 seconds and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry or a twist of orange peel.

Comment

I like a dirty vodka martini now and then. Especially if I am having steak for dinner to follow.

Another is a Perfect Brandy Manhattan.
    Brandy
    12 oz sweet vermouth
    1/2 oz dry vermouth
    served up with olive garnish

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Andrrr what? you don't like a water glass full of vermouth?

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      haha. Ya never know ecowper

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I enjoy a dirty martini upon occasion.

Firefighter's Manhattan .... rinse the glass with a teaspoon of single malt (Islay with lots of smoke is better for this) and then freeze the glass. Prepare manhattan as you normally would, pour into the glass you rinsed with single malt.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Never heard of it. Sounds good. Unfortunately, I don't have anything peaty on hand today.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I got that from GQ back when GQ was still tolerable

@ecowper Here's a Hess video that talks about an "Old Pal" that basically matches the Serious Eats Boulevardier but with Canadian whiskey. Notice that Hess plays with the ratio and subs American whiskey.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I prefer it with campari and sweet vermouth, but in the 1.5-.75-.75 proportion. That, of course, is my personal taste. I also love the traditional 1-1-1 of a Negroni. love the differences between people and tastes!

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, Old Pal was dry vermouth... my bad.

Attjack this is a good article on the Negroni from liquor.com ..... and in the comments there are some good additions.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Truly a classic and that's some interesting background on the drink. I'm still trying to work but my girlfriend is on the way home and I may not make it until 5 before I head downstairs to the bar.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm trying to work, too .... but this cocktail stuff got me distracted!

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I love a Negroni but not a fan of the boulivardier even though I drink more bourbon/whiskey than gin.

Vesper Martini (my choice)
    • 3 ounces dry gin (Gunpwder Gin)
    • 1 ounce vodka ( Belvedere )
    • 1/2 ounce Lillet (Cocchi Aperitivo Americano)
    • wide strip of lemon zest, for garnish
    Bond...James Bond

Comment

Boulevardier it was and I went with the NYT recipe because I like whiskey.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220408_161437.jpg Views:	65 Size:	122.3 KB ID:	1203626
      Last edited by Attjack; April 10, 2022, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't realize, or forgot they were out of Washington. That's cool.

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack your watering hole shames many commercial establishments I have enjoyed.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Alan Brice I might have gotten a little carried away.

Whiskey and Ginger Beer. 1:4 over ice.

or

Old Crow and PBR Back.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I enjoy the Irish Mule (or Kentucky Mule, depending) variant on the Moscow Mule

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Option #2 works for me.

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        Just enjoyed an Ezra Brooks n ginger beer over ice, cpl nites ago. prob more like 40:60

Good Rye, Good vermouth, good cherries - manhattan

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Can’t go wrong

Martini, a good dry martini: (according to an article I can no longer remember)

quality dry gin
      fresh ice, the colder the better
      in a chilled glass add ice then gin poured gently over the ice so as not to bruise it.
      add garnish (I like an olive, but that's just me)
      set glass on table and gently whisper, "vermouth" over surface of glass. then enjoy.

For an extra dry martini, once chilled ice and glass has proper amount of gin, place glass on table top, bow respectfully over top of filled glass in general direction of either France or Italy depending on the type of vermouth you prefer. then enjoy.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha! I like your extra dry recipe. I was taught to quickly show the label on the vermouth bottle from no closer than ten feet away from the glass. 😂

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Iv never understood why people don't like vermouth. You're just taking shots of gin.

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        I was told this Martini was soo dry, you had to pee in a dustpan.LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	DE556D65-593E-4BF6-BE5C-0DD37D49AFF9.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	1204132 I’ve been enjoying these lately. Apparently it inspired the Margarita. It’s kind of a gin margarita.
      1.5 oz gin
      .75 oz curaçao
      ​​​​​​.75 oz lime
      2dashes of angostura bitters

shake, double strain.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to have to make one.

Originally posted by JCBBQ View Post
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DE556D65-593E-4BF6-BE5C-0DD37D49AFF9.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	469.3 KB ID:	1204132 I’ve been enjoying these lately. Apparently it inspired the Margarita. It’s kind of a gin margarita.
      1.5 oz gin
      .75 oz curaçao
      ​​​​​​.75 oz lime
      2dashes of angostura bitters

shake, double strain.

Not bad. I might try it with Cointreau next time though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220409_171016~2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1204268
      Last edited by Attjack; April 9, 2022, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn! Look at your bar! That’s awesome. Yeah it’s nice drink. I would definitely use Cointreau.

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Just made one. I agree that Cointreau would be better than Curacao. Might need a different gin too, I used Nollet's which is 96 proof and kinda on the "very botanical" side. This is definitely going on the summer cocktail list though,

You picked a good one from the start. I gave up hooch for Lent, but if I hadn't it would probably be either Elmer T or Stagg Jr. neat.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm also an old fashioned no garnish fan.

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        I typically have my whiskey neat, If I am being sociable I will add a cube.

Sounds good, but unfortunately alcohol does not agree with me and I have stopped drinking.

Comment

• Argoboy
        Argoboy commented
        Editing a comment
        It has been almost four months now and I do not miss alcohol. I still use wine for cooking. My wife and I now drink sparkling water flavoured.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here