Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskee's Perfect "Old Fasioned" Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huskee's Perfect "Old Fasioned" Recipe

Disclaimer- this is not an intentional copy of any recipe out there. If it happens to be a copy of one out there, it is purely coincidental. My brother-in-law and I made this up based off other ubiquitous recipes in existence ....or so we think.

You'll need
    • 2.5 oz. Whiskey
    in particular:
    1 1/4 oz. 100 proof bourbon (don't short the proof, trust me)
    1 1/4 oz. 100 proof rye

OR, if you can find it,

2.5 oz. Rare Breed Rye (Barrel Proof) <----- this makes the single best whiskey for this drink.

We have found that Rare Breed Rye (Barrel Strength) is simply unbeatable in this drink. If you can't find it or don't want to buy it, the next best we've found is Wild Turkey 101 bourbon and Wild Turkey 101 rye to be the perfect whiskies to mix for this cocktail. Of course, you could use any brand, and you could use all bourbon, or as stated all rye, and it will be fine. But, there is something special (and affordable) about using these two mixed for what it's worth. It is important to use 100 proof. Using an 80 or 90 proof will of course result in a much milder cocktail.
    • 1/2 oz. (1 Tbsp) turbinado simple syrup (2:1 ratio)
    In particular this is a 2:1 mix. This means it's 2 Cups turbinado sugar dissolved in 1 Cup water. *Note if you use a 80 or 90-proof whiskey, you may wish to use only 1/4oz simple syrup or it might be too sweet for you.Note this recipe does not use angostura bitters. You can if that's all you have, but this recipe is better with orange bitters.Luxardo brand is a step up from the standard maraschino cherry.You can use a melon baller or even a regular peeler to strip off a strip from an orange.

Method
    • Add single 2" ice ball or 2" ice cube to glass.
    • Add 1 Luxardo maraschino cherry to glass.
    • Add the whiskies, turbinado simple syrup, and bitters to shaker.
    • Add ice, shake until cold (about 5-10 seconds).
    • Strain into glass. Discard ice from shaker.
    • Pinch orange peel, down its full length, over the glass to express the oils into the drink.
    • Twist or coil orange peel around finger and place into glass submerged.

Enjoy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG7267.jpg Views:	194 Size:	112.2 KB ID:	1061439Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG7268.jpg Views:	208 Size:	87.0 KB ID:	1061440Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG7273 (2).jpg Views:	296 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	1061438 Click image for larger version

Name:	rarebreedrye.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1207622

Very nice! Exactly how I make my old fashioneds!

The turbinado SS is perfect!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes!

Interesting recipe, Old Fashioned's are a cocktail I just can't develop a taste for no matter how much I try.
    Wiser's has started to sell bottled/canned pre-mixed Old Fashioned's this summer.
    May give that a go, maybe I'll take to that..

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Oof. If you don't like it then you don't like it. If you do like the pre-mixed stuff, then it's becasue it aint real.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point.

I don't know about your fancy schamcy drinks Aaron, but make sure you drop a proper cube into your glass.....

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      See my ice cube link

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Proper ice is key. I have ice trays like that but some Tupperware and an ice pick is even better.

An Old Fashioned, as I describe it, is 98% the taste of bourbon. There's a little sweetness and a little orange, but the bourbon is of course the star and the other ingredients should NEVER overpower the bourbon flavor, they just help color in the edges.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You're absolutely right. I think today's hip youngsters think they invented BBQ and cocktails. The old classics are old classics for a reason. Troutman

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee seems to be saying that you're an old classic Steve

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Having met the the man, ecowper, I would sat that is a correct description, though not too old. Just right classic old, our kind of guy!

I like this recipe, very similar to what I do, and I agree that it's the whiskey that should shine, not the other stuff. Often, bars will overdo the add-ins and make a sweet, syrupy kind of drink.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; July 17, 2021, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly. Like chain restaurant ribs vs home-smoked. Same deal. For years I avoided OFs becasue of that very reason, I thought that's what they were supposed to be, a sweet diluted terrible version of bourbon. My eyes were opened when I finally had a GREAT one.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      If I want an old fashioned when I'm in a bar, I tell the bartender how to make it. If they don't have big ice cubes, I skip it altogether.

Ever try this? It's what I use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cocktail-bitters-angostura-orange-bitters-28-0-1l-17687-111322OYgRupfuX8BL0.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	1061368

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      So far I have only used Regan's but I wouldn't hesitate to pick those up if I see them.

• Greygoose
      Greygoose commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup,,,I’m in ur camp,,,

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yes I often put a splash of that in my bubble bath.

My old-fashioned is 2 ounces rye or bourbon, a bar spoon of 1:1 simple syrup, 2 dashed of Angostura, and an orange peel twist expressed over the drink.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Most I've seen call for 2oz whiskey, wife & I always seemed to add another 'splash' to make it right (and that's using 100 proof), so I crafted this to use 2.5oz for that reason.

I tend to drink my spirits neat. However a PROPER Old Fashioned is a true joy. This looks PROPER to me! I’m way too lazy to make them though. 🤷‍♂️ My best friends father made them this way. He made a ritual out of it and was almost giddy with anticipation waiting for your reaction from the first taste. Unfortunately he passed nearly 20 years ago and I haven’t had one since. Maybe it’s time I step up and do this recipe. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Last edited by Jfrosty27; July 16, 2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah!! Making them and the ritual are half the fun! Come on 5 o'clock, I'm gettin giddy!!!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Wait, CaptainMike 5 o'clock is for the youngsters. The older we get, the earlier we are allowed to start. Really, it's written in the bylaws, or the constitution, or bible, or Koran, or somewhere. I read it once.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper I second that...uh, I mean YAY 21st Amendment!...er...uh...Amen!....no...wait... Allahu Akbar! Whatever, it's 5 o'clock somewhere, Cheers!

Very close to mine but I differ in two ways:

I use 100% rye, generally Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond (which might be the best value liquor out there) - I think any bourbon moves it to the too sweet category and like the spiciness of rye to offset the orange/sugar.

Never shake an all liquor drink - stir only. Yes, sometimes I feel like i need to put on a vest and grow an ironic mustache when I'm stirring my cocktails in my mixing glass but its the right move. Want to keep it clear and no shards of ice.

Otherwise - spot on!!!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree on Rittenhouse, it is an excellent value rye and the BiB 100 proof makes it even better. I always keep it in the house. But I'm here to tell you, the WT 101 rye is wonderful here. I shake because it has simple syrup and bitters, but you can certainly stir if that's your preference. I used to stir.

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee - I promise I will try wild turkey 101 rye. Gonna be hard to pull me away from Rittenhouse but I’m always up for some education

What I like is the 2.5 oz. plus 1.25oz. and 1.25oz. All 100 proof. 5 OZ. Only need one.
    Huskee You done good.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Note, there's only 1 plus; only 2.5 oz total. Although after two the math might get hard and I might make a 5oz'er....

I’d drink that fer sure,,,

Comment

I hope to get a really good picture to add to the recipe above. Might have to go make one and take glamour shots....

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Waiting on Picture, Glamour Shots in less.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        They're not really glamorous, but they're there bbqLuv

My really easy and accommodating cocktail is Makers,a splash of Anitca formula sweet vermouth and +/- 5 drops of Angostura orange bitters,,,,
      OTR and swirl a few times with ur index finger
      some times,,,just too easy,,,,

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Isn't that a Manhattan?

• Greygoose
        Greygoose commented
        Editing a comment
        In between a Manhattan and an old fashioned. I like both.
        Served on the rocks, not stirred and straight up, orange bitters ,not regular bitters, splash of vermouth,not an ounce of, no maraschino cherry, no orange slice,,,,
        Rocks glass, hand full of rocks, pour the bourbon , a splish and a splash and I’m in the recliner,,,,and give it a swirl

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I gotcha.

Alrighty, had to run something across town for work, so while on the travel clock, I detoured past the ABC (state) store.

Now I've got the Wild Turkey 101 bourbon and the rye. I needed some anyway as my cupboard was barren aside from beer. Here in Alabama that stuff wasn't cheap. The smaller 750mL bottles were $24.99 each! The 1.75L was $48, and sadly I couldn't see spending $100 to get the 2 larger bottles. Darned state beverage control board and taxes! They had the Reagan orange bitters, and a trip down the street to Kroger netted me a box of Turbinado sugar. Sadly, they only had Kroger brand maraschino cherries, at least that was all I found (they were in baking supplies). I've got oranges already, so tonight we party like its 1999!
      Last edited by jfmorris; July 16, 2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Woohoo! I hope you like. That's about what it costs in MI too. We have "state minimum" pricing, which means the government decides how much tax they want so they set the prices here too.

Tip: using 100% 101 rye makes a GREAT one too. Just throwing that out there.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee I used up all my rye and bourbon lately making sours, so this make something new to do. I'm glad to use cheaper booze too for the mixed drinks - my son got all over me for using the last of my Elijah Craig to make whisky sours!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Just saved this to Paprika in a Beverages category alongside a Buckwheat Mead recipe I made a while back. That app is the bomb!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here