Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Beer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Beer?

OK I keep seeing hints of your favorite beer (yes I know PBR) and checked the achieve, it's been several years since we had an impromptu poll, so here goes. What is or was your favorite beer, either current or past qualifies?

I'll begin....a beer that no longer exists unfortunately, makes #1 on my list.

Wow....and meat questions are hard enough....
    I bop n bounce around from beer to beer now but Alexander Keith's IPA on tap is really up there off the top of my head.
    Man, I gotta think about this!!!!

Comment

If I had to choose a single favorite STYLE it would be porter - and that velvet cream porter from Labatt that you post would be quite nice!

While I like to brew and keep my own porter on tap as a "house beer", I would say my favorite commercial examples would include Anchor Porter, one of my first "craft" beer discoveries back in the day, after gatewaying into craft beer and porters by having black and tan's back in the 80's.

Click image for larger version  Name:	porter-bio.png Views:	0 Size:	307.5 KB ID:	969462
      I was into IPA's for a while, but am over those now, and a second favorite flavorful style would be a good old Pale Ale, such as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Enough hops to be flavorful, but not in your face.

Last edited by jfmorris; January 6, 2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• ScottyC13
        ScottyC13 commented
        Editing a comment
        I love Porters too. So hard to find them around here.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        ScottyC13 I read an interesting arcticle recently (forget where) lamenting that fact. Porters were a gateway beer to craft beer back in the 1980's and 1990's, but there are very few still brewed and available, as the hop craze of the past decade or two led to fewer breweries putting them out. That is why I brew my own, 5 or 10 gallons at a time, and keep it on tap. None on tap right now, so its time to brew again!

• Beefchop
        Beefchop commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a good one.

My favorite? Whatever someone offers me for free... my favorite to buy? Weekdays it's generally BudLight or Modello. Weekends I like to delve into the many craft offerings we have.

Two of my repeating favorites are:

Fortnight Brewing's "Bring da Ruckus" - It's an IPA but it has a lot going on, even before you get into the backstory about how they brew it using sonic waves from Wu-Tang Clan on repeat (there's real science here, but what it all means? I dunno I just like this beer)

Mikkeller's "Beer Geek Brunch Weasel" - It's a stout and a coffee beer (made with civet turds, 'cause who doesn't want to drink coffee beans processed by another mammal/rodent whatever?). It's actually super tasty, I only tried it 'cause the gimmick, but I buy it whenever it shows up on local shelves, it's worth the 9-12 bucks a bottle depending on supply/demand.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Negro Modello is my favorite Mexican beer, period.

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        There is a lot of good Mexican beer out there. I'm partial to Victoria myself.

Guinness Stout from the tap.

Comment

• jhoskins
        jhoskins commented
        Editing a comment
        Hard to beat. Especially in a Michigan winter!

Don’t do a lot of beer, but when I do my go to is usually an amber ale. Current faves are Alaskan Amber and Thirsty Goat. But Guinness Stout is a regular too. On a really hot thirsty summer day I might go for a Heineken on the other end of the scale.

Comment

I went and looked in the beer fridge .... Based on that:

Stella Artois
        Boddingtons
        Shiner Bock

:-)

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman unfortunately, in WA, I have to get lucky and find it at the grocery store. Shiner is one of my favorite domestics

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Loves me a good boddingtons!

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm in on the Shiner Bock, really good beer.
          All my sister buys in Dallas.

When I go out to a bar or restaurant bar I'll order PBR because I'm a bit cheap and I can usually get a 16 oz. can for $2.50.

If somebody else is buying or I'm buying for home I'll drink Labatt Blue. (Unless the 15 pack of PBR is on sale for $9.99)

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Love Blue!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Blue is good, Porter is better...er used to be better

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Funnily enough Labatt Blue for export to the US is brewed by MolsonCoors Toronto brewery.
          At least it was when I worked there but that was 10-12 years ago.

Pacifico

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Drank the heck out of that over in Cabo. Nice beer !!

I go back and forth right now between Anchor Steam and Negra Modelo. Back in my younger days, a British friend got me started on Sammy Smith's. I'm pretty sure it was a stout we were into, but looking at labels a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't find the one that's in my hazy memories. As an aside, I did get the opportunity to visit Tadcaster with my friend and we went into the pub attached to the Old Brewery. That was quite a night...

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Both Anchor Steam and Negra Modelo is on my regular rotation here.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Negra Modelo is Numero Uno Mexican Cervesa !!

• Beefchop
          Beefchop commented
          Editing a comment
          Great choices! I especially like Negra Modelo.

My favourite is from our local Brewery Crossroads their George St. Brown Ale, on the more commercial side I do enjoy a Boddingtons and if it is really hot a Heineken can be very refreshing.

Comment

All of them, but I normally buy High Life. Really hard to find one I couldn’t muscle down. For a treat, I like some Sam’s.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahhh the Champagne of Bottled Beers !!!

Stella
          Dos Equis

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on the Dos Equis when doing Mexican.

Cold and free. Except Michelob Ultra...

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea Michelob back in the day was my absolute go to beer. AB sure ruined a great beer by dumbing it down.

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            Do they even make regular Michelob anymore? Or just Ultra?

I drink so much beer I stick to the cheaper stuff day to day. PBR, Bud, High Life. Whatever is on sale. A couple times a month I treat myself to a craft beer. Usually pale ale.

Comment

• DiverDriver
            DiverDriver commented
            Editing a comment
            Pfft. Hold my empties... my recycle driver left me a AA contact card. LOL

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here