Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better stock up if you want beer in bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better stock up if you want beer in bottles

The Beer Store in Ontario stopped taking empty bottle returns/recycling last week at my local beer store and I believe its store wide.
    I know from my time at MolsonCoors there is a finite supply of bottles in the TBS system available to bottle beer, Molson kept roughly a weeks supply of empty return glass on hand at any time.
    Given the time line they should be running out of return bottles sometime this week with the supply of return glass cut off.
    They do augment with new bottles depending on availability but production my be hampered due to the plague.
    Can production should run as usual but again there's availability due to the plague thing.
    Anyway, word to the wise, beer in bottles could be the next toilet paper so if you want better stock up soon.
    Last edited by smokin fool; March 30, 2020, 06:25 AM.

https://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ne...he-beer-store/

So far all of them are not taking returns until EOD tomorrow.
    Last edited by pkadare; March 30, 2020, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I hadn't seen that article.
      My wife knew about this before I did, I found out last Monday when I tried to take empties back.
      Maybe I should start watching the news again....

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      Our local Lions club has stopped collect bottles as well.

Noooooo!!! Good heads up, thanks!!

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep in mind that The Beer Store is a purely Ontario thing. Since you can't cross the border currently for something as mundane as beer, though I suppose it could affect your ability to buy Canadian beer in NJ. :-)

I like beer from a bottle, but more and more craft brewers are doing cans exclusively. I understand that it's actually got some environmental and production benefits over glass. So, I just have gotten used to pouring beer into a glass. Just pretend you're being trendy!

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget your Emily Post, pinky out when pouring

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, here at least they stopped recycling glass years ago, citing it as "too hard" both in sorting, and in getting someone to take the glass. But they still take cans, plastic, paper and cardboard.

I had moved away for a few years, and came back, and paid the guys who helped me move with beer, and we had quite a few bottles in the recycling bin that first week I was in this house. I came home from work to find a line of beer bottles on my curb.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I pour into a glass from a beer tap most of the time. I'm keeping 4 beers on tap most of the time now, with a few kegs in reserve.

It's not that I don't like beer from a bottle, because I do, but I think subconsciously I grab cans because they are lighter and less prone to breakage. I can be a little rough, I guess. I drink from a can, bottle or glass doesn't matter to me.

I do wish AL had a glass return/deposit similar to other states, would encourage less waste.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      When we load up our boat to go to fish camp (we are dangerously overloaded on the trips in and out the river to the campsites) we get all our beer in cans to save that extra weight.

Fortunately, the beer bar a couple blocks from here delivers and there are multiple growler fill stations nearby as well.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      My daughter and her husband came by to borrow my shop vac last weekend, and brought a growler with them. They left the growler on the ground for me, maintaining their 6 foot distance, and I took it in, washed it, then filled it up with their beer of choice (a saison I brewed in early December).

I had to run some boxes to Fedex last week, and went past a local brewery that had a sign out at the road, selling beer to go 12-6. I stopped and got two of their 32 ounce "crowlers" to support them.

jfmorris Here's my growler. 128 oz and it keeps beer fresh for weeks and weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GW_uKeg128ss45_1080x1080_045eaa7e-4264-45cf-b5a0-0f0a0bcf7e94_1024x1024.jpg?v=1584661337.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	823438

NEW 2024 APP-ENABLED - uKeg 128 stainless steel pressurized growler, mini keg and full-gallon size. Keeps beer cold and fresh for weeks. Durable, double-wall vacuum insulated w/ tap. Available in Stainless or Copper finish.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack that's cool and overflowing is good to take care of the headspace issue. I have a clear piece of tubing I stick over the taps on my kegerator for doing growler fills, and fill until foam at least comes out the top of the growler, then cap it. I've also got several "carbonator caps" that are ball lock CO2 fittings that fit a 2 liter soda bottle, and I use those to pressurize and carry beer places. Nothing like a couple of 2L sprite bottles full of beer in the cooler!

• Loren
      Loren commented
      Editing a comment
      My goodness, your posting of this is a ray of sunshine in dark times!

This is probably the best answer I have seen for those who don't want kegs and the associated kegerator. Many thanks for sharing!

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      I just added this to my Christmas list.

Lately I've been buying tall boys, I find, and this is my math so it is probably wrong, tall boys are the better value comparing price to size.
    The Growlers culture, at least in my area has not taken off. I can't think of one place I could get a growler filled
    Maybe in downtown Toronto where the are more brew pubs this may be different but out here in the boonies no.

Comment

smokin fool This is what it's like in these parts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07578.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	569.0 KB
ID:	823592

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack I'd be in heaven....

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Sadly, I drink less and less beer. But when I do reach for one I'm in a good spot to do it.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        My niece and her husband live in Seattle, he is really active in the growler community there which is flourishing.
        They married in Dallas which apparently has a sizable growler following, his gift to his groomsmen
        were customized growlers.
        He and I get along well, when ever they visit its off to find brands he may not of heard of.
        With his knowledge that can be extremely hard to do.

The Beer Store is going to start accepting empties again on 4/6 but only at 71 of their 450 locations.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, be Streetsville or Milton for me, two stores with virtually no parking. Gunna be fun at those.
        I only have cans and wine bottles so I can wait. I crush the cans to make them smaller for storage.
        Read an article earlier in week that Sleeman's pretty much out, that'll teach em to go with they're own clear glass bottle.

I prefer beer in a can. Craft breweries are fully embracing the can now (finally), so there are great options available. Cans are lighter, easier to recycle (on my back), protect the beer from light, and are pool safe (the only time I drink from the can...always pour in a glass!).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here