Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Craft Beer Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by au4stree

Had the pleasure of getting one of these years ago. Quite delicious!
    https://troegs.com/beer/troegenator/
    A local restaurant, The Anthracite Cafe, makes this; it is as good as it sounds:

"Beef Tenderloin Troeganoff...Tips of beef tenderloin with fresh mushrooms & onions in Troegenator Doublebock & sour creamed rich gravy over fettucine pasta...$16.99"

The ‘Cite is awesome. If you find yourself in Wilkes-Barre, go there. Mike just bought a commercial pellet grill to up his smoke game.

Hours: Monday & Tuesday - CLOSED Wednesday & Thursday - 4pm - 9pm Friday - 3pm - 9pm Saturday- 12pm - 9pm Sunday - 12pm - 8pm Friday Happy Hour Special - $2.50 Miller Lite pints ALL DAY Saturday Happy Hour Special - $2.50 Michelob Ultra pints ALL DAY Order Online View

Comment

Seems like the craft brewery joints in the NW have been taken over by IPA loving zombies. I went to a brewery last winter in Tacoma and there wasn't one beer on their menu that wasn't an IPA. Current favorite is Dragons Milk Stout by New Holland Brewing. Luckily Costco keeps it in regular rotation. For a sort of local beer (in the state) I would have to go with Irish Death, by Iron Horse Brewery in Ellensburg WA.

Comment

• HandsomeDave
        HandsomeDave commented
        Editing a comment
        Redman I was spending the night in Wenatchee for work last month and knocked back three of them while eating dinner with a coworker. Violated my two beer limit and had to walk around town for 30 minutes before I could drive back to the Hotel. Strong stuff.

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I loathe most IPAs. Can you say "drinking a pine tree?"

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree the IPA thing is out of control. Seems to have become a contest to see who can blow your head off fastest with the bops

Smutty Nose from New Hampshire has some great beers. I love their "Old Brown Dog". More local to me, Troegs Perpetual IPA and Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA are some of my favorites.

Comment

From one of our local breweries Lost Rhino. This one is Face Plant.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A8DB9BF7-63AE-410D-B806-CB7B3158F5DF.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.35 MB ID:	738958
        Last edited by HawkerXP; September 30, 2019, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Haven't seen that on this side of the river. I'll have to look for it.

If you are ever in Lafayette, LA, my favorite local brewery is Parish Brewing Company. They brew an American IPA (Envie), an Amber (South Coast) and a light summer beer made with sugar cane and wheat called Canebreak. The latter is brewed all year round and is my favorite to have with fish/chicken or after mowing the lawn. They also have a double IPA for you hop heads: Ghost in the Machine. Stop by the tasting room for some offerings that you can only find there (Reserves).

Taproom:
        229 Jared Drive
        Broussard, LA 70518
        Attached Files

Comment

Huntsville Alabama has a huge selection of craft breweries for the size of the town - and a lot of them spun out of a local Homebrew club I've been a member of for years. Notably breweries and tap rooms to try in Huntsville include:

- Yellowhammer Brewing (they are next door to the largest brewery in town, Straight to Ale - but I have to give the edge to Yellowhammer these days). Also has a wood fired pizza kitchen onsite.

- Straight to Ale. STA is located in what was the gymnasium of a former school, now turned into an entertainment district called Campus 805. STA has a distillery and winery, and one of the better in-house restaurants, Ale's Kitchen. If there, check the Speakeasy, located behind a hidden wall of authentic school lockers, which slides aside to reveal the hidden entrance to the speakeasy... it feels like walking back into the roaring 20's and prohibition!

- Green Bus Brewing is my current favorite, mostly as they are a small walk in pub right off the corner of the square down town, owned by 2 friends. GBB makes more lower alcohol and lower IPA beers that I think appeal to the more average beer drinker. They also have meads and ciders as well.

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Out of curiosity, I looked up Campus 805 to see which school it used to be. Turns out I spend my junior year in that building during its last year as S.R. Butler High School. My senior year at Butler HS was spent at the then new site on Holmes Avenue. The "new" building has since been decommissioned as a school building and is now some sort of evangelical church (I sure hope they exorcised that place thoroughly before letting the congregation in ) ...
            Last edited by MBMorgan; September 4, 2019, 11:24 AM.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            MBMorgan yes - sadly Butler high school as such no longer exists. They merged it with Lee High School. The building you went to school in was later Stone Middle School, and then vacant for 5-7 years before being turned into Campus 805 under an arts & entertainment district license.

The last building Butler HS was in is now "The Rock Family Worship Center" I think.

There's some solid places in the central Florida area.

Crooked Can Brewing in Winter Garden. All of their beers are great. Cloud Chaser is my favorite.

Coppertail Brewing in Tampa. Another place with a solid lineup. The Night Swim porter is one of the beers that I usually have stocked at the house.

Cigar City in Tampa has been gaining alot of national traction over the past few years and they make some damn good beers. If you like IPAs the Jai Alai is a must. If you get a chance to visit their brewery they have a tap room where they have some their beers that you can only get there. The Cafe con leche stout is one of the best things I've ever tasted.

Swamp Head Brewing in Gainesville is also very good. Midnight Oil is mighty tasty. They also make a limited release beer every few years called Smoke Signal. It's a porter made with smoked hops and a touch of chipotle peppers.

Red Cypress in Winter Springs makes alot of good IPAs if you're into that.

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            I love Cigar City!

• Bobmcgahan
            Bobmcgahan commented
            Editing a comment
            I really want to try Cigar City’s "Florida Man." I don’t care if it sucks. The name is great.

In the Baltimore area, I like Heavy Seas beer. They make a lot of IPAs, which I am not really fond of, but their Cutlass Amber Lager is awesome, and their PegLeg Stout as well. Guinness has also opened a brewery in Baltimore, along with a restaurant. They brew Guinness Blonde right here in Baltimore. That's good stuff!
          In Cleveland: Great Lakes Brewing. Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is amazing.
          Saint Charles, MO: Trailhead Brewing
          Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Appalachian Brewing Company.
          Oklahoma: NAAAAAAAH!
          Colorado: Breckenridge

Comment

• Beefchop
            Beefchop commented
            Editing a comment
            Is Brewer's Art still around? I remember they made some insanely good Belgian style beers.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep! It's still there.

If by any chance there is anyone in here that is near Hill Farmstead brewery up in Vermont or Foam in Burlington, can you let me know. I'd love to get some beers! Those are also two of my favorites...also up in Portsmouth NH is Great Rhythm Brewery which is soooo great!

Comment

Just give me a Bud... I like some of the craft stuff, I am a fan of some of the less bitter IPA's. One of the ones I liked best was Blue Dream from Oscar Blues in Asheville, but they stopped making it. Another was a craft beer before they were called craft - Sam Adams Boston Lager. Lots of breweries around here now, my favorite is Wanderlinger. They have a pretty good lager.

Comment

so many....just so so many....So I'll just default to a recent joint I've found. WayPost brewing in Fennville MI (Near South Haven for a more popular locale) is just out of this world good. I'd put their stuff against Bells, Founders, and New Holland all day long (and that's a compliment to Waypost, not a knock on the others). If you're close to that - just go.

Comment

Whew, now that weekend's over, had time to retrieve, cull, edit pics of th 3 40's Rickie brought me back from Virginia Beach...
                All are part of YVBC's "Amelioration Series"
                Here goes, yall:

First up: Riposte
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20190902_014311 (Custom).jpg Views:	1 Size:	426.3 KB ID:	739580
                Next up is DMZ
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20190902_014325 (Custom).jpg Views:	1 Size:	441.0 KB ID:	739581
                Last, but not least up is Sabot.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20190902_014349 (Custom).jpg Views:	1 Size:	425.8 KB ID:	739582
                Ain't tried nary a drop of any these three, mebbe I'll take em tothis Sattidy's git-together with my sibbies, so they can help me drink em up... mostly, I likes my beers to taste like Beer...

If any of em sound like yer kinda bevvie, well, now ya know where to find em...

As I've mentioned, hereabouts, my nephew Neil is th Brew Master, there...
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 4, 2019, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• Bobmcgahan
                  Bobmcgahan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ve got to try this. I need to try Sabot. A grizzly old tanker like myself will like this.

• xaugievike
                  xaugievike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  like me the sound of the Riposte....look forward to your analysis.

I live in a town with a fairly rich history of beer, the original home front of Old Style beer, but, I am a bigger fan of our craft beer industry. My favorite local is Pearl Street Brewery. Rare that I do not like a beer they make, even better that they are blue collar, hard working and give so much back to the community. I am a fan of IPA's, Oatmeal stouts, bourbon barrel Stouts, but, really, will drink about anything a craft brewery brews. 90 percent of beer I drink comes from there.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 6, 2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                  I know this is heresy, but are there some good low carb craft beers that taste decent? The two low carb beers that I have tasted (Corona Premier and Michelob Ultra) have not been worth the calories.

I was hoping that a few beer artisans have come up with commercially available and delicious low carb brews.

Kathryn
                  Originally posted by pkadare View Post
                  Something to consider - https://drinkpartake.com/. I like both the Blonde and the IPA, haven't had a chance to try the Stout or the Pale yet. The sell into the US as well as Canada..
                  pkadare I ordered the taster pack--IPA, Pale Ale, Blonde lager, and Stout. Of the four I like the Blonde and Stout best, so I just ordered a case of each. Shipping is free, and they're a bit more pricey than some craft beers bought in stores, but they pack a lot of taste for low carb/no alcohol/no calorie beers.

They won't replace some of my full carb/calorie favs, but they're a nice alternative, especially when I want to open a second (or third) beer and still be able to find my smokers with both hands.

Wait till my husband sees two cases of beer delivered to the door.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; September 29, 2019, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Loren
                    Loren commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you can find Deschutes Brewery (from Bend, OR) where you live their Da Shootz light beer is pretty good.

• Bobmcgahan
                    Bobmcgahan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    While it's not necessarily a low-carb beer, the Wellbeing Brewing Company's Hellraiser Amber is a great non-alcoholic beer. That's my go-to drink during the work week.

• pkadare
                    pkadare commented
                    Editing a comment
                    fzxdoc - Glad you like them! Enjoy!

You guys talkin' Crafties......errrrrrrr what?

Comment

• Bobmcgahan
                    Bobmcgahan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Indeed. Craft non-alcoholic beer. It's come a long way.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here