Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book recommendation

For Homebrewing, thank you in advance. P.s. I prefer something that will explain some of the science.

"The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" by Charlie Papazian is a great place to start.

Comment

jfmorris

Comment

Byron Burch’s seminal 1986 book: "Brewing Quality Beers: The Home Brewer’s Essential Guidebook."

Comment

If you want to understand how home brewing works, and the science behind it, I would recommend one of the more recent editions of "How To Brew" by John Palmer as a general purpose introduction to home brewing.

The other book I would have in my library (and do) is Brewing Classic Styles:

That has a good recipe for all 80 of the styles in the 2008 BJCP beer style guidelines. I imagine it will be updated eventually, but lets face it - the 2015 BJCP style guides suck rocks. They eliminated a lot of styles I and my home-brew club members brew (robust porter! Southern/Northern English Browns!), and created some styles for no good reason.

I would hesitate to get a book from the 80's or 90's, that has no edition created in this decade, as things have changed a LOT since then. Ingredients, both malt and yeast, are much better than what was available back then. For example, all the old books recommend, rightly for the times, doing a primary and a secondary fermentation. Secondaries are now no longer needed or recommended except for the biggest of beers, or maybe a fruit addition.

Anyway, enjoy getting into home brewing. You can spend as much or as little as you want on equipment, but I do highly recommend getting into all-grain brewing versus extract brewing when you can. I received 3 Northern Brewer extract kits last November, due to a shipping error by Northern Brewer (I had ordered some grain and hops!). They told me to keep them, and made it right by getting me the stuff I did order, and I decided to make one of the kits over the winter. While not BAD beer, it certainly was not great beer by any means.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            thank you, yes I want the science end of it first.

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed, "How to Brew" is pretty much the best book for homebrewers from a science standpoint. "Designing Great Beers" is another book that's pretty much a go to when I'm making up a new recipe.

Richard Chrz this is based on an older version of the book How to Brew, but is a free online resource where you can read most of the text from one of the earlier editions:

Your basic equipment for brewing consists of:

1. Kettle large enough to heat water in (for mash with all-grain), and for boiling the wort. I started with a 7 gallon turkey fryer pot, and now use a "keggle" - a 15.5 gallon keg with the top cut out to serve as a kettle. The minimum size would be a 5 gallon pot for partial volume boils with an extract kit. I recommend 10+ gallons, to help avoid boiling over, as you boil about 7 gallons for a 5 gallon batch of beer.

2. Burner - you really don't want to be doing this on the stove with a 12,000 BTU burner. I use a 60,000 BTU Bayou Classic SQ14 burner.

3. Mash tun - basically a cooler with a CPVC manifold and ball valve. This lets you mash the grains (steep them in hot water) for the all grain mash step. You can skip this if doing extract brewing.

4. Fermentation vessel. This can be a plastic bucket with a lid with 0-ring, and an air lock, a glass carboy, or one of the newer plastic carboy style fermenters. My current favorite is a Speidel 30L fermenter, due to ease of cleaning compared to my glass carboys. https://www.morebeer.com/products/sp...0l-79-gal.html

5. Bottling or kegging equipment.

I first got into brewing with a bunch of brown bottles and a cheap bottle capper, a plastic fermenting bucket (7 gallons I think it was), a used turkey fryer pot and burner off the side of the road, and an old 40 quart cooler. Probably under $50 actual cash outlay. Now I use a bigger cooler for mashing (60 quart), have a grain mill for crushing the barley, thermostatic controllers to keep fermentation temperatures controlled, and at least 10 5 gallon Cornelius (Pepsi) kegs.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            ComfortablyNumb - yes, a chiller is key, and I made mine by wrapping 75+ feet of copper around a keg, and soldering some fitting to it. If you start with extract kits, and partial volume boils, you can get by without a chiller to start - just pre-chill 2-3 gallon jugs of spring/distilled water in the fridge, and add that to the fermenter, once you've chilled the boil pot in a sink of ice water or something similar.

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Thankfully I do have two friends that own a micro brewery, fairly decent size one. They actually offered to have me come to the brewery and they would help me make a 12 keg batch and send it out to area bars. But, I declined for now, and just asked if I needed some help, would they. I will definitely start out with Extracts, while I learn more, and how far I want to go down this rabbit hole. lol (I am trying to do this without bothering them).
            Last edited by Richard Chrz; July 1, 2019, 01:17 PM.

• AverageJoe
            AverageJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            Richard Chrz I am not sure how much you have already, but this is a good starter homebrew kit that is done through Northern Brewer. It has everything except the Kettle for $199. They also have a popup that came through when I was on there for an additional 5% off your first order by entering your email address.

Embark on your homebrewing journey with the best kit in history. Our Deluxe Brewing Starter Kit has been tested by our employees and trusted by our customers for the past 20 years. Customer feedback has made this kit the staple of every brew cave. Our most serious home brewing starter kit.

Something I will add, 150+ kegs of beer into this hobby, is that it can seem intimidating at first, but it really isn't. The foremost principle I will stress is that sanitation and cleaning are fundamental. ANYTHING, and I mean anything, that touches the wort once you turn off the flame for the boil (or turn off the element in an electric brewery setup) MUST be sanitized properly. This includes your fermenter, any siphons, hoses, funnels, and so on that touch the wort (which is what we call the boiled "barley syrup sugar water" before it is fermented into beer). This is easy with modern food grade no rinse sanitizers such as StarSan (which I buy by the gallon jug).

Second only to sanitization is fermentation temperature control. You need to be aware of the temperatures the yeast you choose can tolerate, and what they perform best at. Most general purpose ale yeasts ferment best in the mid to upper 60's - I keep my fermentation chamber (an old mini-fridge modified to hold a fermenter) set to 68F for most ale ferments. Lager yeasts need to ferment in the mid to upper 40's to do their best. Some yeast likes it at other temperatures (I do my hefeweizen's at 63F), and some Belgian yeast can tolerate mid 70's. Fermenting outside the temperature range of the yeast will lead to flawed beer with off flavors.

Third, do not, I repeat DO NOT, cover your boil kettle during the boil. There are volatile compounds that NEED to off gas during the boil, and covering the kettle prevents this. You need stuff to boil off, to prevent formation of DMS (Dimethyl sulfides). And be sure to boil at least 60 minutes, sometimes 90 is required depending on the grain bill used. I caught the 20-something kid that used to live next door to me out on his patio brewing in covered kettles, and had previously sampled some of his proudly presented home brew - it was awful stuff with creamed corn flavors (DMS) and a nice rotten egg surfur aroma. You don't want to be that guy. I politely swallowed what I could, and gave him a few pointers.

There are a million and one flaws that can occur in beer, and its not just home brewers - I've had some horrible examples of commercial "craft" beer that was flawed. But you can avoid most of the notable flaws through proper sanitation, temperature control, and process.
          Last edited by jfmorris; July 1, 2019, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            So, you nailed it! I am hyper sensitive to the sanitation part of this. Like you said, it can be intimidating. And it does intimidate it,

Richard Chrz Don't get intimidated!

I second ComfortablyNumb in recommending morebeer.com for purchasing equipment and ingredients. Northern Brewer is where I started, and once I did maybe 2 extract kits, I went ahead and built a mash tun, and got into all-grain brewing once I had the basics of sanitizing and fermenting down pat. northernbrewer.com offers a LOT of extract kits and easy to follow directions.

I would go to morebeer.com or northernbrewer.com and start with one of their "starter" kits if you have nothing, which will include some basic equipment. If you have a turkey fryer burner and pot, you can start with that. If you don't have anything, I recommend at least a 10 gallon pot, as it will grow with you from extract to all grain brewing.

Here is what I mean by a starter kit:

Our Home Brewing Starter Kits include everything to brew incredible beer at home. Choose a beer making kit that fits your needs and it will ship free! Get a home brew kit and start making beer today.

Our 5 gallon homebrewing kits are for brewers who want to make a lot of seriously amazing beer right from the first batch. After all, the best part of beer brewing is showing off the final product!

Those will give you some basic fermenters and bottling equipment. Some of the kits have a 5 gallon pot - useful only for partial volume extract brewing, where you brew less than 5 gallons - usually 3 - and add water at the end to the fermenter. I started with a 7 gallon turkey fryer pot, and then moved to a 15.5 gallon keggle. 10 gallons would be a great all around size.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            I am hoping I can figure out some 1-2 gallon batches (although, I assume the measurements are not just linear and dividable, or take a 5 gallon batch into (5) 1 gallon carboys. I think I have most of the equipment for the extract as my wife bought me a kit for a bourbon barrel stout a few years ago, I put it in a closet and have not touched it since. I did not see any dates on anything that said, "use by" on them. Keep the advice coming!!!

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Richard Chrz I would not use extract kit ingredients - hops, yeast or grain - that is old. Hops should always be stored in the freezer to prevent decay/degradation (the alpha acids for bitterness have a half life), and yeast should be stored in the fridge. Only dry malt extract would still be usable at this point. Obviously the equipment is fine.

Richard Chrz you can do 1 or 2 gallon batches, but... why?

A 1 gallon glass jug cannot be filled to capacity for fermenting beer, as you need headspace for the krausen - otherwise it will all be foaming out the airlock. 5 gallons is 40 pints of beer, or 52 12 ounce brown bottles. 1 gallon is like 8-10 beers. Considering it takes the same amount of time to brew 1 gallon as to brew 5, its just a lot of effort for little return, in my book.

Grains and malt extract scale pretty linearly, but hop additions do not. And... boil off is a constant for a given pot diameter. So, if you make 5 gallons, and your boil off rate is 1 gallon per hour (mine is around 1.5 gallons boiled off per hour), you have to start with 6. If you do a 1 gallon batch in the same pot, you would need to boil 2, to end with 1. And you have loss due to true (settled out yeast and debris) in the bottom of the fermenter.

Example. I start with 7 gallons. It boils down to 6 gallons, maybe a little less. When I rack to the fermenter, I lose a half gallon to the pot, as you don't want to siphon the stuff that settles out like hop pellets, cold break, etc). So I have 5.5 in the fermenter. When I keg, I lose another half gallon to debris and yeast in the bottom of the fermenter.

I guess I am just saying, yes, you can do a 1 gallon batch, but it won't scale linearly from a 5 gallon recipe. Now, sure - you can split a larger batch into multiple fermenters. I often do 10 gallon batches (13 gallons when I start the boil), and split that into two 7.5 gallon carboys for fermentation, and have two 5 gallon kegs of finished product.

All this reminds me... I gotta get busy brewing for my nieces wedding soon. I got burned out brewing beer for my daughters wedding last summer, gotta repeat this summer.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            So, I have introduced myself here a few places. But, I am currently in an electric wheelchair, and have nerve disease that affects lot's of systems in my body, and strength is one of them, I am trying to use all of this free time I have (I am in the hospital roughly 16 hours a week getting infusions. But, back to strength. I try not to get myself into any situation I can not get myself out of. Lifting 5 gallons of whatever that is hot on a burner is not something I can lift to get out of if need

But, I could likely easily enough get someone to come over and do the heavy lifting. So, not saying it has to be, it would just allow me to be a lot more independent with it.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            p.s. it is not a bad thing it is just a thing. I always find work around's. Personally, I like to prove what you can do, instead of focusing on what you can not do., as long as it does not add to my wife's to do list in helping me out.
            Last edited by Richard Chrz; July 1, 2019, 07:51 PM.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Richard Chrz I had no idea of your circumstance before. I've got some ideas on how you can deal with larger batches of beer without much lifting involved. Gravity can be used to drain from a pot that has a ball valve into a fermenter on the ground for example. An electric pump can be used to transfer wort or hot water uphill. There are a lot of ways to solve these issues.

Thank you! I will check that out. I love workarounds! Nice screen name by the way!

Comment

Richard Chrz this is from my local homebrew store. They sell 1 or 5 gallon kits that come with instructions from the company called Brewers Best. These are what I started on about ten years ago and I now do all grain brewing and some partial mash. You should be able to google a homebrew shop close to you and theoretically they may sell these as well.

Comment

These are the books I have. The one that is showing the top cover is really tiny one, but the majority of the recipes in it are extract or partial mash.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for sharing!

John Palmer’s "How to Brew" is outstanding. It gets into the science but is still easy enough to read for anyone. It’s a great starting place. I read it cover to cover before I brewed my first batch, and continuously referenced it the first handful of of times I brewed.

The other resource that was a huge help to me was The Brewing Network (www.thebrewingnetwork.com). They have a series of podcasts dating back more than a dozen years full of excellent home brewing knowledge.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                I spent a lot of time in the past listening to podcasts of "Brew Strong" from the Brewing Network. Jamil and John Palmer always kept it interesting!

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                I did make the purchase a few moments ago on "How to Brew", I also threw in this book as well for reading entertainment. Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing
                Book by Brian Polcyn and Michael Ruhlman I will check out that podcast. I have headphones in my ears most of the day anyway. Listening to some Thermodynamics videos on Khan Academy right now.

Richard Chrz Northern Brewer sells some extract kits for small batches:

Look no further for 1 and 2 gallon beer recipe kits. Small batch homebrewing is perfect for new brewers and those with limited space.

Their pricing to me is a little steep! The 1 gallon kits are about 1/2 the cost of the 5 gallon kits. But they have a decent variety.

My favorite Internet supply, Morebeer, seems to only have 5 gallon kits:

Brew your own ale with the Malt Extract Ale Beer Kit sold at MoreBeer! Free shipping available on orders over $59. We offer a vast selection of Ales including our insanely popular American IPA Beer Kit.

Now, this said, if you have a recipe for an extract kit, you can most certainly scale it and buy just the ingredients needed for the size batch you want. I use BeerSmith brewing software to manage my recipes, and it has a scaling function built in. It also has a conversion tool to convert between all-grain and extract as well. Extract recipes basically replace the base malt with an appropriate malt syrup or dried malt extract, and any specialty grains you "steep" versus mashing.

If you get into it, BeerSmith is a great tool for playing around with recipes on paper (well, the computer), and seeing what works within a given beer style.

Comment

• Santamarina
                Santamarina commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 for BeerSmith. It’s the best brewing software out there!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here