Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe - White Cafe Mocha Cream Stout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe - White Cafe Mocha Cream Stout

Long name I know . I actually did submit this one for a homebrew competition, but I put it in the wrong category so... balls. This recipe includes a few things that need to be done after brewing, but before bottling day. One is making an extract from cacao nibs and the other is some cold brewed coffee. And here we go...

Grain List
    14 pounds of Marris Otter
    1 pound of flaked oats
    1 pound of flaked barley
    1/2 pound of Crystal 40L

Hops
    1/2 ounce Magnum
    1/2 ounce Northwest Golding

Yeast
    Wyeast 1318 - London Ale 2

Extras
    2 Tahitian Vanilla Beans
    2 ounces of Cacao Nibs
    6 ounces of Vodka
    1 cup of ground coffee
    3 cups of water

Steps I took

Mash all the grains at 155 degrees for 60 minutes using the calculator with 1.25 quarts per pound ration of water to grain. remember to keep some of the water separate to use for sparging out the grains after the 60 minutes is up. Here is the calculator that I use. https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/

Once you have done the sparge of your wort into your boil kettle your total boil time will be for an hour and a half

At 60 minutes remaining of boil add in Magnum hops

At 10 minutes Remaining of boil and Golding hops

At the completion of the boil cool the wort down to 65 degrees, check and note your original gravity, and then put the wort into your sanitized fermenter. Aerate the wort prior to adding in your yeast. This can be accomplished by sloshing the wort around for a few minutes. The best way however is using an aeration stone and some pure oxygen. You can get the stone at your local home brew store, and you can pick up canisters of oxygen at your local Home Depot or Lowe's. Then add in your yeast. Try and keep the fermentation temperature to 65 degrees.

After about seven to ten days check what the gravity of the beer has gotten to, and then rack your beer to a secondary fermenter. Take the vanilla beans, cut them in half, and using the tip of a knife scrape the inside of the beans out. Put the been husks and the vanilla that has been scraped out into the secondary fermenter with the wort. Let this sit for another 7 days.

When you get to 5 days prior to bottling day take the cacao nibs and put them in a small container with the vodka. Let this combination soak together for 4 days.

24 hours prior to bottling day take the ground coffee and the 3 cups of water and combine them in a jar. Set the jar in the fridge and this is how you will get your cold brewed coffee. You will also take the cacao nib tincture that you have made and run it through a strainer so that you only have the liquid. Take the liquid and put it in the freezer. Doing this will allow you to remove the fat from the tincture easier.

On bottling day move your beer to your bottling bucket via syphon trying not to aerate the beer. This is where your personal taste comes into play.

Before adding in the priming sugar slurry add small amounts of the coffee and the cacao tincture to the beer. Play with the amounts and pull out small sample to get the taste that you want (I ended up using 100 ml of the cacao tincture and 1 1/2 cups of the coffee).

Once you have the flavor that you want add in your priming sugar slurry and bottle away. Here is the calculator that I use https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages...gar-calculator

Let me know what you think

Also here is a nice write up about the conflicts of the whole "White Stout"
    White Stout is a style that confuses some, enrages others, and gets a lot of brewers very excited. You can call it a lot of things, but the white stout is not only a style but also a playground for making interesting, flavorful beers.

Man, I'm sorry, but that is so freaking hilarious to have something THIS extensive.....and then find out it was in the wrong category.

Comment

• AverageJoe
      AverageJoe commented
      Editing a comment
      I know right. Next time I make it I am going to take it to one of my friends who owns one of the local micro-breweries to see what they think it should be in. May have to rename it.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here