Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chocolate Hazelnut Porter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chocolate Hazelnut Porter

I've been home brewing since 1995 and this is probably the best beer I've ever made - I make it every year but this batch is supreme. This is a Jamil Zainasheff recipe that I tweaked (from his book Brewing Classic Styles):

Chocolate Hazelnut Porter - 5 gallon

Malts:

Dry/Liquid:

7.8 lbs Pale DME
    1.0 Lb Munich LME

Specialty Grains:

1.o lb 40*l Crystal malt
    1.0 lb 80*L Crystal malt
    0.75 lb Chocolate malt
    0.6 lb Black Patent malt

Hops:

1.25 oz Kent Goldings - 5.0% AA at 60 minutes
    0.8 oz Williamette 5.0% AA at 30 minutes
    0.8 oz Williamette 5.0% AA at 15 minutes
    0.4 oz Kent Goldings - 5.0% AA at 0 minutes
    0.4 oz Williamette 5.0% AA at 0 minutes

Extras:

4.5 oz. Cacao Nibs - last 15 minutes of boil
    Hazelnut extract at bottling or kegging - buy the small bottle from your home brew supply - should be enough for a 5 gallon batch.

Yeast:

White Labs WLP001 California Ale, or WYeast 1056 American Ale, or Fermentis Safale US-05 (I used White Labs)

The original recipe called for 7.8 lbs liquid malt, I subbed dry malt BUT forgot to do the conversion (20% less dry than liquid malt) so my starting gravity was 1.086 instead of the gravity in Jamil's book of about 1.066. I WILL DO THIS FROM NOW ON - this beer is amazing and is almost a stout. Jamil also used cocoa powder but the cacao nibs put this over the top!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2796.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	668182

That’s a good one...does Jamil have a bad recipe? I’ve been home brewing since 2007 (and been listening to JZ and the rest of the Brewing Network crew since 2006). At the 2015 HomebrewCon in San Diego I talked with Jamil for a while about yeast starters (highlight of the conference) and his advice was "stop making starters and brew more," saying that repitching from a recent batch was a much better way to get consistently good beer.

Comment

Well, I don't normally drink dark stronger beers in hot weather but this is the exception. I ran out three weeks ago and made another batch, it is ready to rack into the secondary. I don't think I've ever made a beer this good before.

Comment

I need to make another batch. I have a recipe that I made for a barley wine. Made it and gave away bottles as thank you gifts for my wedding. It has been awhile since I have used DME or LME. My batches have been whole grain since I moved to Colorado.

Comment

58limited where bouts you at? I guess you could say I brew a bit. Made several JZ recipes. Have not brewed since Harvey but I am slowly gettin back in the game. Brutus Ten took a hit and still needs some attending to.

Comment

I am in Port Arthur. I was very fortunate during Harvey - through dumb luck i bought a house on high ground. My backyard fence is the seawall (which was briefly topped by Ike), never thought to worry about water coming from the land side.

Here is the view out my front door, water is almost 4 feet deep in the street. Never dreamed I'd see power boats going up my street:

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2598.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	699591

Comment

Still haven’t brewed this one, but I’m adding it to the list for this fall. Brewing a Mexican Lager next week - it’s nice for summer, and my homebrew club is having a Mexican lager competition in August.

Comment

58limited I have that book and a couple others. I am planning on working the Great American Bear Festival again this year as a pourer.
                Attached Files

Comment

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like fun. I've never been to the Great American Bear Festival but I've been to the International Mead Festival, The Mazer Cup, once. I worked a four hour shift in the pouring room, ran entries to the tables, and was a table steward and got to taste the Best of Show winner since it was judged in the first round at my table.

• AverageJoe
                  AverageJoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is a blast. This year there is supposed to be over 4,000 different beers there.

America’s favorite beer festival and cultural phenomenon, the Great American Beer Festival is October 10-12, 2024, in Denver, Colorado.

Oh I'd drink that for sure! Looks awesome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here