Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just don’t like sour beers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are few craft brewers in the area brewing with apricots which I find lead to a bitter beer to my palette.
    Some are going to using various fruit in the brew also, very few which I will try again.
    Sadly I guess I'm stuck in the rut of the big brewers IPA and Lagers.
    But I do keep experimenting with craft brewers there are some that are quite tasty, again to my palette.

Comment

Originally posted by snowswamp View Post
      IPAs and sours are gross; just nasty. Here, take my ManCard.
      IPA's aren't inherently bad. It's just that the trend lemmings that make up much of the craft beer movement think that hop's are the be all when it come to brewing them. I'd say the old school IPA's are usually good, but the current trend of making them taste like Pine-Sol is ruining the genre.

Comment

There is a local micro brewery which puts together a decent sour, and I can drink a bottle of it. The first "hoppy" beer I drank was a Fat Tire. I enjoyed it and bought more. These days, the hop is so strong in a lot of beers, that I can only take one where the hop may hit hard but fades quickly and/or is replaced by other tastes just before it goes past the throat. The sour, well, I will have the one from the micro, when he has it, but not often.

My favorite beers, micro to big brand, tend to be darker stouts or porters. Ale stouts(Guinness from the keg), Porters, Ambers, Pale Lagers are good.

But, after laying down asphalt in Texas a part of my life, I still love an ICE COLD ( i mean frosty with ice chips in it) Bud, Busch, PBR, Stag (some of you may have never heard of it) after a hard, hot, days work.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          I know what you mean, there was a men's room called the Islington House that served ICE COLD draft beer.
          Closed decades ago but man that draft was served ice cold not like todays draft that comes out of the tap thru a chillator after the kegs sat on the floor all day, week, month....

• Porkies
          Porkies commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. In the field, if your hand doesn't hurt when pulling a beer out of the cooler, then it's not cold enough.

I have to say sour beers are very hit and miss. Typically a miss. But a bright spot on the conversation would be one most people refer to as the duchesse. It hits right for a lighter simpler sour without any horrible fruity or bitter tastes ( which oddly does occur with many sour beers) they blend and open air ferment their beers i believe over an 18 month period. Also Russian river out of Oregon does them very right as well. Give it a try and you will not regret it at all.
        Attached Files

Comment

Sour Beer means Sour Beer Face. Ugly I will be, so no sour beer for me.
          PBR hit the sweet spot.

Comment

Last summer I found a Marguarita Gose that was really good.
            Brought it numerous times for sitting in the backyard on a hot humid day.
            Lie a frozen Marguarita has to be served cold....gee, wish it was summer....

Comment

I have tried a few domestic microbrewery "sours" and they were disgusting and obviously soured with citric or some other acid additive. Before you give up on sours though, try a real Belgian sour, aka a lambic - try a Guezue for plain, or one with fruit if you prefer like a Framboise, Kriek or Peche (raspberry, cherry, peach).

Comment

• Porkies
                Porkies commented
                Editing a comment
                It was a lambic I had at the small local brewery! I enjoyed it.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here