Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just don’t like sour beers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a bottle of that version of Le Seul sitting in the beer fridge waiting for the right occasion. Love a good sour beer.

Comment

I love sours but they do not pair well with BBQ. Mosca Please feel free to send those sours this way. Try this sour brown ale from New Belgium if you want to try one without all the fruit flavors. It is outstanding.

Click image for larger version  Name:	072.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	543338

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a dandy, but it is REALLY sour.

I’ve brewed for many years and had a lot of beer, and a lot of sours. Never ever saw a bright red sour like that one! Did they brew with Hawaiian Punch 🥊 ?

Probably best commercial example I’ve personally tried is a Flanders Red (not bright red like that!) called Duchesse de Bergonne. Most sours are pretty acetic and vinegary. So very much an aquired taste. I had a keg on tap of a sour for almost 3 years here before we finished it, and not in a hurry for another 5 gallon keg of one...

Comment

Used to hate hoppy beer. It was nothing but regular bud for me. Then I was at a restaurant one day and they didn’t have any and a waiter convinced me to try a Kona. I thought it was pretty good. Tried others and really liked ambers. That expanded to even some IPAs. Tried a Sam Adams sour last week and yuk, Don’t like it. But who knows, that too could change One day.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        IMHO, if it's the one I'm thinking of, that sour is a very poor example of the style. Not saying you'd like another better, but I had one yesterday and I was very disappointed.

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Over the course of my life, I have found that the things I didn't necessarily like immediately, but learned to like over time, are my favorite things.

I call 'em CRAP (ft) beers but I mush the ending so it sounds like a mispronunciation

Comment

with you brother. just cant do it.

my wife - who hate's all conventional beer....really likes sours. she REALLY likes gose's. cant get my mind around it. I've talked to more than one brewer that says wine lovers (my wife) tend to like sours. anecdotally I've seen this with the wife and others that I've suggested sours to if they like wine.

in the end...like bbq...different strokes for different folks.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          When I worked at Molson Coors at info meetings this was one of the subjects always brought up, how to get more woman drinking beer.
          Breweries where sinking tens of millions into getting women to order a beer and sour flavouring was one thing they were going after.

I’m not even sure I can get into this discussion.
        believe me, I love my beer. But I’m a simple man
        give me a dozen Buds and I’m good to go 😬😁🙃

Comment

I've had some good sours. They certainly aren't my favorite style though.

Comment

I am a big IPA fan cut my hoppy teeth in Seattle in the 90's before the craze. If you want to try something a little different but still quality try a Saison. Napoleon called it the Champagne of the North.

Saison Dupont is excellent
            Tank Seven is very good as well

There are others but these are very good starters.

Comment

I lean more to the bitter ale side myself. Learned to drink beer in England. Go figure🤣.

Comment

• Bobmcgahan
                Bobmcgahan commented
                Editing a comment
                This. Here, the closest you get is a Nitro infused Extra Special Bitter. We need to see more of these. At room temperature. Yeah, that’s right. Real Ale.

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                The first beer I ever overindulged in was Double Diamond in Harrow, England. I was 17. Love that stuff!

Originally posted by snowswamp View Post
              IPAs and sours are gross; just nasty. Here, take my ManCard.
              Nope I agree with you. IPA's are for people who's tastebuds have long since died. People tell me "keep drinking them, you'll grow to love them." I had my first IPA ~ '96 when someone signed me up for the beer of the month club. I'll never forget it. I though they sent me skunked beer. Twenty three years later and it still tastes like ass.

Comment

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a little harsh. I love IPAs and I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with my taste buds. Different strokes for different folks. Loads of folks think that cilantro tastes like soap, I love cilantro but I don't judge those who don't.

• Razor
                Razor commented
                Editing a comment
                Not judging anyone. Just diagnosing a medical condition. You can be a super cool person with no beer tastebuds. Heck I know awesome people, that drink Coors Lite.

We have an amazing selection of beers here in the Pacific NW. I’ve only had one sour beer (cherry in a can / can’t remember the name). It was interesting but I definitely did not want a second one. IPA on the other hand....... 😀

Comment

My answer to people who don't like sour beers is Rodenbach. It might take a half glass to appreciate, but easier to appreciate than light beers.

Another thing is Scotch, Springbank is a great introduction for those who think they don't like Scotch. Smooth, mild, easy to drink.

Comment

I’ve tried enough high quality sours. I just don’t "get" them. And, I’ve purchased four packs, and six packs, and forced myself to drink all of them.

IPAs are okay, some I really like. In fact, other than sours I haven’t found anything I haven’t liked... oh. Old Curmudgeon, from Founder’s. It tastes like someone dropped a shot glass full of cheap whiskey into it. I don’t like all those diacetyls.
                  Last edited by Mosca; November 4, 2019, 07:46 PM.

Comment

I'm with you Mosca , I don't like sours. I buy mixed 12's a lot and pay attention to the taste profiles of the various beers - Stone, New Brunswick, O'Fallon, Schlafly (now all brewed by 4 Hands), Public Brewhouse - Founders makes some stuff that tastes like an angel crying on your tongue. The sours end up being the last in the fridge, and the other day I found half a bottle in the fridge. My wife said "I can't drink that".

Maybe those that talk about pairing know what they're talking about, because the first sour I had was paired with my lunch in a pub in Jeff City. I liked it at the time.

and I am SO TIRED of IPA's. And Belle's 2-headed trout is the best beer in America? I don't even like it. I'd like to see some Honey / Fruit (Like Mango) Wheat Ales in an Imperial ABV batch. Head above 9 and maybe shoot for 11 ABV, just not in an IPA - although Sam Adam's Imperial IPA is worth it when you can find it. So are Barleywine's - and this is the time of year Sierra Nevada should be releasing Big Foot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here