Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I downgraded my kegerator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I downgraded my kegerator.

It's been a couple of years since I used it. Partly because I don't drink that much beer anymore that would be good on tap (I like American light beers in a can better for some reason) but I also had a slow leak in my system I would need to troubleshoot. So I figured the path of least resistance was to just clear up the space in the bar fridge and break out my uKeg. I filled her up today at the local growler shop. I purchased 128 ounces for $20 (the Wednesday special). She was going to fill it for $10 but I let her know it wasn't a standard 64-ounce growler. Cheers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	cIOoQax0fzHC71TSzUg-41ieSgUvzBBQ960C9TguH9qyECMyGoUiwR_te3I4GjXW1Pe86P2T-S-WZkJr4CldfZ4Ls45JYM94jIOrWWsdoVN5bLIC6WxpMgU9h3NSSCr22OLKQ2TQbq0MeFHZAMD1xztCtDrsI5rHmKXjk2QW4NLO_IfdbATiWpQ4Z6dTgbeZ8FgtAQ1gY_zTJeDv5r8fgpSx3njUTOR9ZqNtFf5h374rmpkke5fsFxt4ViW6Xqu
Views:	223
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1226525

Is your keggerator a true cabinet keggerator or a converted fridge? If fridge, use it for dry aging meats. Might be able to add shelves to a cabinet keggerator for this purpose too.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a fridge with a freezer on top. I definitely want to use it for the bar because that's why I bought it and converted it. I need to keep citrus, vermouth, mixers, etc. in there. Could you still use it for dry aging if it was also used on the regular for other stuff or would that pose contamination risks? Also, I don't believe I've ever had dry-aged meats unless you count salami.
      Last edited by Attjack; May 25, 2022, 04:19 PM.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      My keggerator is a fridge too - 5 corny kegs and mugs in the freezer, plus I store hops up there too.

The Umai dry age bags are designed to use in a regular fridge that is also being used normally every day. In fact they recommend that the door be opened a few times a day to release moisture. The bag allows moisture and oxygen transfer but keeps out refrigerator odors and the three primal roasts I aged never had any molds grow on them.

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      I did my one and only attempt at dry aging in my regular kitchen refrigerator, and it worked fine. In fact Umai says not to use a fridge that isn't opened often because it needs the fresh air to help regulate moisture.

I need that! My kegerator has been sitting unused for almost 5yrs since we moved to the mountains where I don't have pool parties anymore. Lotsa good microbrew in CO....

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a great product. My girlfriend got it for me. They also have 64-ounce ones but mine holds 8 pints. I bought her their hard seltzer maker called the uKeg Twist through their Kickstarter recently. It's nice too. Tequila tonics are my favorite. You add your ingredients and pressurize. Then it's off to the beach or wherever and the double-walled insulation (on either product) ensures a cold beverage without the need for refrigeration.

Keep beer fresh and cold with pressurized, carbonated stainless steel insulated growler in half gallon and gallon sizes.

I like the uKeg stuff, and have friends who use it for their homebrew to go. Our growler fill laws here require the bar/brewpub/etc to heat shrink a seal over the growler lid when they fill it, so that if you get pulled over, the cops know it’s not been opened. I don’t think they could fill the uKeg here in Alabama at a commercial tap room due to the exposed tap and inability to seal it. I’ll have to ask though next time I get a growler fill.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Weird law.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack we are lucky to have growler fills at all in Alabama. It's a recent thing within the past decade. I did find some local discussion however, and looks like folks around town have in fact gotten those uKeg growlers filled. You just gotta pay for 2 growlers worth, since its twice as big as a standard glass growler...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here