Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine bottles and crimped crown caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine bottles and crimped crown caps

My wife enjoys wine, so we tend to have an empty bottle or two during a week or more. I’m trying to find cheap ways to bottle some of my beer until I build up enough empties collected.
    ‘
    I am not sure if I can put a crown cap on top of a wine bottle for beer Will it hold the pressure with out blowing a cap off? I’ve also considered as a way to give friends some kombucha so I don’t have to possibly not get a bottle back. I did just test as far as will it crimp, and will it leak? It does crimp, and does not seem to leak when help upside down.

thoughts?

will this work?

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      So, I believe they will, as I see lot’s of people bottle that way, I may even start drinking some of the beers like Grolsch, just to get the bottles. I’m not sure how often one needs to replace the rubber seal, and that expense. Hence, while collecting, I’m kind of hoping to use some wine bottles, for the beer that I give away. Maybe I just need to buy some wine corks as well..

Richard ... I'd be very leery of using ordinary wine bottles for beer. They simply aren't designed to withstand the pressure ... unless, of course, you're thinking of sparkling wine/champagne bottles. Back in my early brewing days, I used to contact local bars to see if they would let me have empties. Once in a while, one would say "yes". Beer-drinking friends are also a good ... and likely more sanitary ... source of empties, too.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      MBMorgan, that was my concern. Thank you! Should work for kombucha though?

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not familiar with kombucha ... but as long as it's not carbonated, a wine bootle should be sturdy enough. Whether you can use a crown cap on it is another question ...

I do not believe you can use a crown cap on the average wine bottle. If I were you I would head to the brewshop and pick up a case of 22 oz bottles.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Richard Chrz I have crimped many caps onto 12 ounce bottles and the "bomber" sized 22 ounce bottles. Most of mine are old random commercial beer bottles, some still with labels. I got 4 cases of the bombers from behind the bar at one of the local brewery tap rooms, as they just throw them out, and were happy for me to take them off their hands.

The problem with wine bottles beyond the pressure issue that MBMorgan pointed out is that most just don't have the rounded lip you need to crimp the cap onto, and I don't think it will hold, even if it is the right diameter.

Unless you want go guzzle a case of Sam Adams or other pry top bottled beer to get your empties, you can order new glass from somewhere like Northern Brewer or Morebeer. Or consider the plastic screw top bottles like these, which are out of stock at the moment:

https://www.northernbrewer.com/produ...les-case-of-24

PET bottles will handle the pressure of bottle conditioned beer carbonation, and don't need to have caps crimped on.

Personally I prefer glass:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/be...z-case-24.html
        https://www.morebeer.com/products/be...z-case-12.html

Ok - all that said. Soda bottles will handle the pressure, but are not light resistant like brown glass bottles, so will allow your beer to be skunked. But if you can get the soda flavor and aroma washed out, a cheap way if you can get the caps back on super tight would be soda bottles.

I use "carbonator" caps on 2 liter Sprite bottles to carbonate any excess beer that won't fit into my 5 gallon kegs when it is time to keg beer:

Convert a PET soda bottle into a pressurizable growler with this stainless steel ball lock cap. Also works great for cleaning draft lines quickly and easily.

I just hit them with CO2, shake, hit with CO2, shake some more, and repeat until the 1 to 2 liter sample is carbonated. The keg I let slow carbonate over 1-2 weeks.
        Last edited by jfmorris; August 4, 2021, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          I heartily endorse the idea of guzzling a case (or two cases plus one 6-pack since you'll need 54 12-oz. bottles for a 5-gallon batch) of Fat Tire ale, specifically. Fat Tire was initially a home brew beer and to this day its bottles have labels that are intentionally easy to soak off and remove by fellow home brewers. Better get busy, amigo ... ...

I wouldn't do this. I'd simply buy regular beer bottles etc to use, mostly because wine bottles aren't made to contain contents under pressure. Beer bottles are reusable, so it's not like you drink the beer and toss the bottle. Just rinse it out after drinking, flip it upside down so the water drains and store (once dry) upside down so any dust doesn't get inside the bottle.

You can also consider any of several mini-keg/growler systems if you drink enough beer.
        Last edited by rickgregory; August 4, 2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

If a mod sees this post, they can delete it. I got the answers I was looking for. Thank you everyone.

Comment

If you can find a way to bottle beer in wine bottles please let me know. Me to my wife: I only had one beer, promise.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I think jfmorris 2-liter trick, above, might work, fer ya Huskee

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Probably going to buy some bomber bottles, and drink them first of course. 😜

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Richard Chrz, I buy my Guinnesses in th 22 oz, they are sold as Boppers in these parts

I have been using 1.25litre plastic soft drink bottles successfully for many years.
            The beauty is that you can screw the cap back on if you want to and it will save until tomorrow, I find I don't do this very often.
            Much quicker bottling using a smaller number of bottles. You screw the cap on as you are filling the next one that's resting on your knee

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              The fewer the bottles to clean and sanitize the better. That is why I do 5 gallon kegs! One thing to clean....

• Stuey1515
              Stuey1515 commented
              Editing a comment
              Absolutely jfmorris though I veered away from the small keg technique as I found my capacity to absorb the beer, increased with the size of the vessel I was drinking it from.

Say crimped crown cap real fast 20 times.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              "Crimped crown cap real fast 20 times"

… no problem…

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here