Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to avoid Lawnmower Beer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to avoid Lawnmower Beer.

One of the finer points of beer enjoyment that’s too often overlooked is the proper serving temperature. Serving beers at their proper temperature may take a little extra effort or planning, but the rewards are significant. Drinking beer at the proper temperature allows you to really taste the beer.

Quality beers shouldn’t be served colder than 44 degrees Fahrenheit. Here are some general temperature guidelines for different beers:
    • Serve most premium lagers between 42 and 48 degrees Fahrenheit (6 to 9 degrees Celsius) and quality ales between 44 and 52 degrees Fahrenheit (7 to 11 degrees Celsius).
    • Serve authentic Stouts as warm as 55 degrees Fahrenheit (13 degrees Celsius), which is British cellar temperature.
    • Serve some high-gravity Barleywines, Old Ales, and barrel-aged Stouts only very lightly chilled or at room temperature, like a snifter of brandy.

In the United States, most beers are served much too cold for serious appreciation. In fact, ice-cold temperatures ruin the flavor of good beer. The average refrigerator is set to keep food and drinks chilled at around 38 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit (about 4 degrees Celsius), but serving beers at this temperature has several negatives, including the following:
    • The colder the beer, the less carbonation is released; the less carbonation that’s released, the less aroma the beer gives off.
    • The palate is numbed to the point that it can’t discern many of the beer’s flavor nuances. (So this explains why some beers are best served just above the freezing mark!) Why bother drinking a beer if you can’t taste it? May as well have a Slurpee.

Cold temperatures = less carbonation released = less aroma = less taste = why bother? Save the really cold temps for lawnmower beer — the kind you chug down after mowing the lawn (taste? who cares?).

St. Arnold’s Brewery makes a beer called Lawnmower. I wouldn’t chug it, and I haven’t found a better one to drink after cutting the lawn. I wouldn’t want to avoid it.

Comment

Wait...you mean if the mountains are blue my beer is too cold!?!

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        If there are blue mountains on your can, that ain’t beer.

I ❤️ beer. And bourbon. And gin too. What’s even better is the friends we imbibe said beverages. Happy PBR or whatever you choose my friend.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheers, amigo!

Lookin forward to yer adventures, an experiences

Be safe an well, alla y'all, down yonder...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 8, 2021, 06:45 AM. Reason: s vs. d

I think PBR’s are an exception to the rule,,,,,
      Most of the PBR’s I have consumed were served at 65 degrees or warmer,,,,LOL 👍👍👍

Comment

Next up: how to attract lawnmower beer!

Comment

PBR should be run over with the lawnmower, does that qualify it as lawnmower beer?

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            No, please no....
            At $2.20 at tall boy, $1.85 when its on sale, its all I buy anymore.
            Only thing cheaper is Laker at $2 a tall boy and they're Lager goes down like barbed wire.
            I do buy Laker Red for cooking.

• Argoboy
            Argoboy commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that you are retired you must have time to shop prices more? I like local craft beer more these days.

Here’s a Pro Tip, leave the beer iced down on the back porch so you can swing by and have a sip when you get thirsty, keeping it in the cup holder on the mower will make a mess.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            ComfortablyNumb
            ROTFLMFAO, Brother !!!!!
            Make sure to point out any spots she mighta missed, as well...

"Today is a good day to die"...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 8, 2021, 06:56 AM. Reason: F

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I just duct tape the safety bar open and carry my beer

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            Pro tip: Hire a neighborhood kid to cut the lawn. Sit on patio or porch with wife drinking beers or other adult beverages while watching the kid cut the lawn and tending the smoker.

I define lawnmower beer as a lighter beer like a pilsner or pale ale to be consumed ice cold after mowing the lawn. Nothing better!

Good beers can be slightly warmer but I still like cold beer. No thanks on the cellar temps or cask conditioned flat warm beer.

I love crisp carbonated cold Western Style IPAs.

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            "Lite" or "Light" beer such as Coors Silver Bullet, if you want to call that PeeWater beer, is best served cold. Cold enough to numb taste buds to inhibit the tasting of it.
            I don't order it, I don't buy it, I don't turn it down when offered.

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            bbqLuv not a fan of "Lite" Beer at all. When I said Lighter, I meant "Lighter Style" not Lite Beer. A crafted Pilsner can be exceptional. Think Scrimshaw, Smuttynose Vunderbar!, Prima, and Precept. All fantastic cold out of the cooler. So cold it hurts your hand!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Ain't thing one wrong with a well crafted pilsner...
            Light Beer is yet, another thing...
            I always tell folks that it's th leftover rinse water, from third, mebbe fourth time they worsh out th brewin tanks, after makin some Real Beer lol!!!!

Definitely hide your beer from your lawnmower, only when she is done cutting does she get one!

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            That means another beer run. She is worth it, I have to say.

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            bbqLuv Hmmmmm, me thinks you drink a lot while you are watching, best to double up when you provision!

In one of my engineering classes, we had a test which included a question on exponentials, which said: "A fisherman takes a beer out of the cooler at temperature 10 C, at the same time he gets a bite on the line. He puts the beer down in the bottom of the boat, at temperature 25 C while he fights the fish. If the beer heats up with a time constant of X (I don't recall the specific quantity), how long will it take for the beer to heat up to 15 C and be undrinkable?"

I knew the answer needed an exponential equation to answer it, and using my trusty graphing calculator, got the right answer. I was the only student to get it right. But then I went on to tell the Prof the beer never gets too warm to drink. Beer is precious.

Coincidentally, the expressed product of our BBQ love (the meat) also heats up following an exponential curve. If the meat's time constant is known and it's starting temperature and the cooker temperature, one should be able to calculate the ending time fairly precisely. But alas, all the other variables! And the beer consumed fuzzies the math.

On a related note, I had a kegerator for a while and the CO2 pressure depended on the storage temperature and type of beer in order to get just the right amount of carbonation between flat and foamy pour. It takes a lot of CO2 to carbonate beer, many times the beer's volume. Each type of beer has its own number, determined by the brewer and brewing process.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            If you cook your steaks by using the JKF method, you’ll notice that at the beginning you flip every 30 seconds or so, then as time goes on you’re flipping more and more often, until at the end you’re flipping every second or two! Exponents in action!

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Certainly no engineer here but the Men's room I used to sling beer at used a CO2 system.
            The tapsmen walked a fine line between a glass of foam, a glass of apple juice and a cold refreshing iced cold draft beer with a nice head on it.
            I tried the taps on numerous occasions, it was an art, try as I did, just couldn't get right.

One of the reasons I bought a John Deere riding lawnmower was the drink holder next to the seat. I pictured myself happily zooming about drinking beer and puffing a cigar while trimming the grass. I was dismayed to find that the mower vibration churned up my beer into foam. BLAH! I thought you were going to address this dilemma.

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. Carbonation and riding mowers don’t mix.

• Max Good
            Max Good commented
            Editing a comment
            ComfortablyNumb I stand in the shadow of your brilliance.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup^^^

Sometimes, if'n yer 'Real Lucky', that particular Day, ya can also ingest a LIVE, an VERY PIERCED ORF Bee, or Hornet, that has made its way into th can, whilst ya was busy mowin, an such...

Always a Treat!!!

why would anyone want to avoid lawn mower beer. it's the stuff dreams are made of

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lawnmower-beer-2.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1028832

Comment

Cheers to lawn mower PBR!

Name:	PBR lawn mower.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1028836

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Exceedinly Brave of ya, ComfortablyNumb !!! Much Respect!!!

Reckon ah'm bout as zoomed in on that whole deal as I'd ever care to be...

hog wash

Name:	cold beer.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1028838

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              Washing hogs is about all that is good for.

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              pkadare uh oh, double secret probation commin’

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              pkadare commented: Washing hogs is about all that is good for.

See He is pairing it with Pork. PBR pairs well pork and just about anything else. We agree!
              Wash down some tasty bits.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here