Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made my Own Mead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made my Own Mead

Since some people call it a honey wine I figured this would be the best place to post this. I made a mead today that I call "Taunting Knight on the Parapet" nod to Monty Python Elderberry Mead. Did make a Cyser as well but that is another story.

Anyone else made their own?

I make mead, got a few Polish style meads barrel aging right now and a jalapeno session mead on tap.

Comment

Is this the stuff that makes you go blind if it isn't made correctly? ;/

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that's bathtub gin

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        My vision is great, and I drink like a fish lol

You certainly did better than I did. When about 13-14 we neighborhood kids read an article about making mead. Basically pour honey in bucket and float bread on top for yeast. When bread got moldy then remove bread and let it sit in dark cabinet. Made us all so sick I remember it today and might be the reason I don’t drink alcohol to this day.🤢

Comment

It's on my to-do list - I used to make beer but I traded that hobby for BBQ because it's less time consuming and more family oriented (plus, it's hard for me to kill 5 gallons of home brew). Would love to dive in and make a small batch with some Louisiana honey. Any tips?

Comment

I'd like to give that a try one of these days. I've done country wine and hard cider, but never mead.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefchop View Post
          plus, it's hard for me to kill 5 gallons of home brew
          No Comprendo Senor

Comment

• Beefchop
            Beefchop commented
            Editing a comment
            Hard on the waistline.

Call me when it hits the white lightening stage.

Comment

One of the first brews I ever did was a mead. I boiled ten pounds of honey in five gallons of water and added some toasted hazel nuts I had previously soaked in some sherry cask aged single malt Scotch whiskey. I let it cool for a few days, then removed the hazelnuts and transferred it to a carboy. I pitched a second stage yeast, hoping it would fizz for about 6 weeks in the basement. Unfortunately the basement was too cold to finish the ferment on time and three months later I had to bottle for a party the next week. The result of this mistake was life altering!

The mead kept on fermenting and was like Champagne in flavor with just a hint of fizz when we finally tried it. The bubbles were so tiny! I have never been able to reproduce the flavor and mouth feel of that batch. I would choose that hands down over Champagne any day! Cheers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here