Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood BBQ in Sauk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood BBQ in Sauk

So i went there on sunday as kind of a "second chances" visit. there will be no third chance.

the first time i went there (late winter) i had brisket and ribs. the ribs were alright, but nothing special. the brisket was terrible. they DROWNED it in au jus so good luck tastung anything else. in addition, it's cut DELI THIN! it was terrible all the way around. if your brisket is so bad you have to add au jus you might want o just stop serving brisket. their sauces are home made and not good. the main one is too sweet and has cinnamon in it which i think is weird tasting. they all have too much vinegar as that is all that i taste, mostly. their chipotle sauce is the only one that i somewhat liked but it was more like a mexican sauce you put on enchiladas than BBQ sauce.

the second time i went there 9thinking this place has been open for a while, it might be better) i got the bunt ends and my wife got the mac n cheese and pulled pork sandwich. the burnt ends were EXTREMELY dry and chewy. i couldn't even get the fork in without considerable effort. i have never been so bummed about bbq in my life. they were also swimming in au jus which did not help. the BBQ sauce was not good and also, did not help. my wife's mac and cheese was weird. it had a cheese sauce (no actual cheese it seemed) which had random bbq fatty pieces in it. it tasted a little like au jus as well and it was more of a tan color than yellow. her pulled pork sandwich was acceptable. i had mashed potatoes with cheese and it was so-so.

we didn't finish our food. we didn't take any leftovers to go. it was a disappointment from top to bottom. if you HAVE to go there stick to pork products and go easy on the sauce

Hey, but the eagles are cool in the winter, watching I mean.

Comment

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      it's a wonderful town otherwise

Thanks for the warning. I drive past there frequently and have thought about stopping. Sounds like I'd be just as well off up the street at Culver's, who I think do a surprisingly good job at basic fast food fare.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      That Culver’s is one of the originals if not the first franchised store or something. Talked to the guy who owned it back in the horse & buggy days.

Yea deli thin brisket is the first give away, tons of sauce the second. Trust me, there are places in Texas that are just as horrible, thank goodness the good ones out number the bad at least 2 to 1.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here