Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Rustic in Fort Atkinson, WI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rustic in Fort Atkinson, WI

hopefully this place survives longer than some of the other places that have occupied this building. this is a texas style BBQ joint i went to on saturday for dinner. i would say it is one of the 3 places in WI (2 of which are still in business) that actually impressed me with their brisket. no pictures at a restaurant, i'm not one of those people

i had a beer and their 2 meat platter. i got BBQ beans, coleslaw, cornbread (with jalapenos), pulled chicken, and brisket.

the coleslaw was of the creamy variety and it had good crunch and good flavor. approved.

the BBQ beans were savory and sweet and some good pieces of bacon in it. approved.

the cornbread had good flavor and jalapenos put it over the top for me. approved.

the pulled chicken was a little dry but good flavor. i didn't eat a lot of this because i know chicken makes good leftovers and i could turn this into a sandwich later. overall though, mostly approve.

the brisket! oh goodness. it was FULL cuts of the brisket with fat and some point. it was the right thickness and JUICY and smokey! the last 3 places i had brisket from shaved it thin like lunch meat (what?) and one of the places soaked it in some kind of au jus that took ALL of the flavor out of it. not this place. they serve it dry to let you put your own sauce on it. definitely approve!

the sauces: mostly meh. the original wasn't super in my opinion and the Carolina was red and super vinegary (i was hoping for mustard based but oh well) but the hot habanero was awesome. it had some heat by itself, certainly but when on the brisket you didn't really notice it. in addition they had an "African" sauce that was chunky and had a flavor that was kind of sweet that my wife really liked (i think it was like nutmeg or something similar). i thought it was pretty good but it was 2nd place to me.

the wife: pulled pork mac n cheese. she really liked it! i didn't get any but i'll take her word for it. it looked quite cheesy and creamy so i'm guessing it was good.

overall i'm definitely going back.

I don't know when I'll next be in Wisconsin, but thanks for that review!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here